Alternative to Push Ups? [Injury!]

Options
Just went to the doctor, and was diagnosed with shoulder tendonitis (infraspinatus and teres minor tendons) as well as an acromion hook type 2... and she said "no more push ups, not even on your knees" until the tendonitis has subsided.

I'm doing Tapout XT and there's a lot of pushups... and I need to find an appropriate exercise alternative. Any ideas?

Replies

• dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have no clue, but here's a bump for you in hopes you find your answer.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're going to need to stop that workout until your shoulder heals. There isn't a way to work your pecs that does not involve your shoulders in some way.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bump. Hope you find an answer. That's a difficult move to replace when you have a bum shoulder.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it, but you might just need to rest until it's fully healed. Any sort of arm exercise, especially ones that mimic pushups, could just aggravate your injury, or at least slow the healing process. Definitely don't do anything that hurts your shoulder. Is physical therapy an option? Or start working on your one-arm pushups? :)
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, literally. I hurt the tendon in my elbow a while back and it is still recovering. Fortunately, there are some exercises I can do or machines I can use to isolate the elbow and not do any heavy gripping / pulling. But a shoulder is almost impossible to get around. I wish I had better news for you, but the best thing you can do is listen to the doc, get your shoulder better and then jump back in to the pushups.

Good luck and a speedy recovery!
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it, but you might just need to rest until it's fully healed. Any sort of arm exercise, especially ones that mimic pushups, could just aggravate your injury, or at least slow the healing process. Definitely don't do anything that hurts your shoulder. Is physical therapy an option? Or start working on your one-arm pushups? :)
    Haha, oh man... if I tried doing one arm pushups, I think I might get carpet burns on my face. Epic fail! :laugh:

She might prescribe physical therapy, but only after we've tried just doing the resting. I wish I were like a doll, where I could pop the whole arm off and get a replacement!!!
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, literally. I hurt the tendon in my elbow a while back and it is still recovering. Fortunately, there are some exercises I can do or machines I can use to isolate the elbow and not do any heavy gripping / pulling. But a shoulder is almost impossible to get around. I wish I had better news for you, but the best thing you can do is listen to the doc, get your shoulder better and then jump back in to the pushups.

Good luck and a speedy recovery!

Thank you!

The only other thing I could think of... was doing wall pushups. That way I'm not forcing my arm to hold up all of my weight, but I'm still working the muscles. Then again... you're probably right. I should listen to the doctor...

But... but... there's no quit in Tapout! lol
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Haha, oh man... if I tried doing one arm pushups, I think I might get carpet burns on my face. Epic fail! :laugh:

She might prescribe physical therapy, but only after we've tried just doing the resting. I wish I were like a doll, where I could pop the whole arm off and get a replacement!!!

Believe me, I know the feeling. I've been trying to get back into running, but my knee just won't take it yet. Sometimes you just gotta rest!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump. Don't have an answer but at least the thread will keep going.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Wall push-ups, maybe even one-arm wall pushups.