Half Marathon Runners Advice?

Options
I am 25 days away from my first Half Marathon, I am up to running 9 miles as my long run as of last night, but my hip flexors on my left hip are kiling me and my knees are a little tendor. What do I need to do to prevent my hips from hurting, i can deal with a little knee soreness....Please advice..........

Replies

• draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Google "hip flexor stretches" and perform them religiously. I was hit with his flexor pain around the 8 mile long runs in training...the only thing that helped was REST (for 3 or 4 days), and those stretches/strength building things. I havent had hip flexor pain bad enough to stop me from running since I started doing those. Yes, they look funny, especially the "fire hydrant" types, but they work. I did 3 sets of 10 at 3 different times during the day during the rest period, and continued once a day after they felt better.

Also, if they hurt during a run, hip/leg swings can help, albeit temporarily. Good luck, and listen to your body. My first half is in 5 days!
  • AprilKill
    AprilKill Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I found some stretches, i tried them out...will see how this work b/c my next long run is Saturday, I am feeling fine now though....I hope you get a good run time...good luck!