Long Hair - Wash after every workout?

Options
Hi long haired exercisers! Do you wash your hair after every work out? I have been because I sweat in my hair. Yuck. But I was wondering if there are products you all have used to wick the sweat from your hair while you exercise so you don't have to wash every day? I'd love to cut back so my hair doesn't get all dry and damaged from all the washing. Thanks!

Replies

• sweetiepaia
    sweetiepaia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    use dry shampoos, baby powder, corn starch or just rince it in water and finish off with conditioner
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    I wash mine every other day because its healthier that way. I cool dry my sweaty hair when I get home and use dry shampoo. Washing every day makes my roots super oily an my ends really dry
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've got curly hair... and I use the "no-poo" or wash with conditioner (without sulfates and all that crap)... I do that every day.... but not necessarily right after a workout if that makes sense?

Deva Curl brand is good, and it's great for any hair type, not just curly girls :-)
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of using a dry shampoo ... otherwise, it seems that my hair's always wet, which really sucks once winter's here!
  • Silly_Sara
    Silly_Sara Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do the same as Mary and use no-poo shampoo. Because there's no sulfates and other stuff, it won't dry out or damage your hair. It will actually keep that from happening. Deva Curl is amazing. If I've already showered that day, I tend to just rinse my hair thoroughly with water after a workout.
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo, but even sometimes it just feels so necessary to wash after a hard work out.... If so, focus on washing the roots only & completely avoid going near the tips of your hair... but when it comes time to condition, avoid roots and focus on tips of hair. Hope this helps!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Long hair is so irritating. I wash it every other or every third day and I always make sure my hardest, most sweaty workout is on wash days. It's a PITA. :grumble:
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have a rinse off shower after my workout and I condition my hair but don't wash it. It makes my hair super soft and I can let it air dry and it falls nicely
  • emzack
    emzack Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!! I agree long hair is a PITA. Does anyone use a hair wrap to wick sweat away? I saw the "save your do" wrap online and wondered if it is helpful...
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    My hair is super-long and also colored, so I am extra gentle with it. After a sweaty workout, yes, I at least rinse it and use conditioner. I use only enough shampoo to lather up the top of my hair, then let the suds rinse down the length of the hair, to keep it from drying my hair. And always a good conditioner, or I'd never be able to get the knots out.
  • MissJenova
    Options
    I don't wash everyday. I normally wash every other - every third day depending. I do cardio and weight training, so I usually wash my hair on cardio days.

I'll use dry shampoo or baby powder or even put my hair in a bun and run the top of my head under water (not the bun) just to rinse my scalp a bit.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every day, workout or not. (My hair is down to my butt)

I use Pantene shampoo and conditioner and I use Aveeno leave in conditioner on days I am going to
    use a straight iron which is generally about 4-5 days a week.

My stylist doesn't even have to trim my ends every visit because my hair is in such good condition.
    I swear by the hair care products I use. I don't know what else it would be.

:)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I scrub mine after a workout. Ugh. It won't dry easily because my hair is so thick. It smells terrible at the base of my ponytail where the sweat collects. And then I touch it and sniff my fingers because I'm insane. It's in my best mental interest to wash it.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I work out about 6 days a week, and normally shower every other day.

To avoid as much sweat I can I use a cloth head headband, seems to absorb some sweat and I just throw it in the wash once a week :smile: I also try and get as much hair off the nape of my neck as possible. Usually in a high bun.
  • emzack
    Options
    I scrub mine after a workout. Ugh. It won't dry easily because my hair is so thick. It smells terrible at the base of my ponytail where the sweat collects. And then I touch it and sniff my fingers because I'm insane. It's in my best mental interest to wash it.

HAHA this is hilarious and totally sounds like something I would do.
  • emzack
    Options
    I don't wash everyday. I normally wash every other - every third day depending. I do cardio and weight training, so I usually wash my hair on cardio days.

I'll use dry shampoo or baby powder or even put my hair in a bun and run the top of my head under water (not the bun) just to rinse my scalp a bit.

Huh. Never heard of the bun/scalp rinse... I'll have to try that. Thanks!
  • lillypadstudio
    lillypadstudio Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Using a sulfate free shampoo like Pureology or Bed Head (Pink bottle "Epic Volume")isnt as damaging if you have to wash it everyday like me. I'm super oily. If you are not that oily, rinse and condition. Don't keep hair wrapped in towel longer than 4 minutes, it pulls good oils right out of your hair.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every other day regardless if I work out or not and on teh days that I don't wash it I run water over and just throw some leave in conditioner in it.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair almost everyday, surely after every workout. It's still in a pretty good condition. I feel like it's dirty and greasy if I dont wash it more than 2 days.
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I wash mine every day, sometimes twice if it get really icky. Lots of conditioner. (my pic is about 3 years old, so my hair is quite a bit longer now, past my shoulders.)