Indian Food for Dinner - Don't want to go over

Options
A friend is recovering from surgery and wants Indian food tonight. I've been craving it too. I do not want to go over in calories, but I want to be/feel full at the end.

I've been comparing the restaurant's menu with the MFP food database and now I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Anyone have suggestions about good choices at an Indian restaurant that leave you satisfied.

Thanks.

Replies

• crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Daal or tandori chicken
    skip the naan!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think check out the tandoori dishes, that may be safe.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions, but may I please join you?! I WANT ALOO CHANA!
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It's one night, one meal and you know you shouldn't sit and shovel food in for an hour LOL

I think if your working hard at doing the right thing overall (eating, fitness) then enjoy your dinner and don't wreck it for yourself by stressing over how much to eat. Make a plate with a little of everything so you can get all the flavors and just don't go back for seconds...

Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    A friend is recovering from surgery and wants Indian food tonight. I've been craving it too. I do not want to go over in calories, but I want to be/feel full at the end.

I've been comparing the restaurant's menu with the MFP food database and now I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Anyone have suggestions about good choices at an Indian restaurant that leave you satisfied.

Thanks.

How many calories do you have?
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb - avoid anything fried and with sauces (loads of butter, cream). Better options as far as indian goes are foods like tandoori chicken (dry) and steamed rice.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Chicken tikka is my usual order.
    Very low in calories, just. Make sure you don't order the chicken tikka masala option :)
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    Start with Lentil soup, otherwise called Dahl. It's very filling and satisfying. Avoid the naan, poori or chapati because those carbs will kill your diet. They love to fry things too, so ask how the dish is prepared. Don't get stuff with cocount milk in it. Try a nice vegetable curry, and skip the white rice. Indian yogurt also is notorious for having been made with whole milk or even half n half. Ask about the yogurt or the raita. If it's low fat or non fat, that's a nice thing to have with your curry to cool off the spices. Hope this helps a bit.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Tandori Chicken, Khatti Meethi Dal, Masala Dal

Stay away from any cream based sauces. Maybe skip the rice...in chicken dishes see if you can get all chicken breast instead of the thighs

Or maybe since it's a special occasion just go eat what you want and do an extra hard work out tomorrow?
  • spicyginger2006
    spicyginger2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    YES! stay away from the naan! naan, rice, or fried foods.... anything in a creamy curry sauce i would watch the portions. but load up on veggies, beans/lentils, and proteins! have a yummy dinner!
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The vegetarian dishes or vegan dishes or anything that you can tell isn't cream based. And if you have naan (what's Indian without naan?), keep it to one small piece (a quarter of one of those big pieces).
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Indian food CAN be really great if you're watching calories. But there are high-cal menu items for sure. The calories in naan add up really quickly. I'd skip that and the rice.

Tandoori anything would be great. Chicken tikka is chicken pieces marinated and grilled, an excellent choice. Just don't mistake it for chicken tikka masala, which is chicken in a buttery tomato sauce :)

I really like aloo gobi (cauliflower and potato) and daal (lentils). They're pretty moderate, calorie-wise.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I used to have a full curry, rice, naan and poppadoms. Now I go for tandoori chicken tikka, a side order of veggie curry and a chapati. Still as satisfying and half the calories.
  • judsywudsy
    judsywudsy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am happy you posted this topic... i have been craving some indian food myself. Now i know what to get!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    no easy way to do this. trust me, Indian food is probably the UNHEALTHIEST (but tastiest ) cusines on the planet. Just enjoy the dinner, eat and enjoy the occasion..and get back on track the next day.

I spent 3 weeks in India and was simply MORTIFIED at what those who can afford 3 square meals a day eat. I did a rough calculation and observed one of my relatives must have eaten at LEAST 3,500 calories for breakfast ALONE...3,000 plus for lunch and 4-5,000 for dinner. yeah,they work in construction and work 12 hours a day, but i flat out REFUSED to eat anything they made at home on account of not wanting type II diabetes at this stage in my life.
  • mandorla
    mandorla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    OP thanks for posting this question. I'm going to be going for Afghan / Indian food this weekend and this is super helpful for me.
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Avoid anything fried, of course (i.e., pappadams, samosas, dosas, vada). Maybe go with daal, sambar, or channa masala. If you're going to have something creamy in appearance, consider asking if it's made with coconut milk or yogurt. My understanding is that coconut milk has greater caloric density. Also, eat slowly and let the spices do their thing. I always find that a healthy dose of spice makes me eat a little less. Of course, be wise in regard to rice, as well.

If I were dining with you, I'd go with sambar and idli. Oh, now I really wish I was in fact dining with you.

Eat slowly, enjoy your meal. Yum!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Have a maintenance day. Goal weight loss in pounds per week x 500 = maintenance. (ex: 2 pounds per week x 500 = 1000 extra calories. Or 1/2 pound x 500 = 250 extra calories).

Order what you want and have your normal deficit tomorrow.
  • smboston
    Options

Thanks.

How many calories do you have?

I have 655 left. I know that I can stay under that, but I have dessert sitting at home (this sounds ridiculous as I type it). I'm going to take some of the suggestions from the responders here and go with Tandoori chicken and some vegetables (not in a butter/curry sauce). And no naan.

I'll be running again tomorrow so I'll have more room for Indian next week!

Thanks everyone.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/men1839/Pages/Dodgytakeaways.aspx

Indian

Try to avoid anything that’s creamy or deep fried. To reduce the amount of fat in your meal, choose dishes with tomato-based sauces, such as tandoori and madras, plain rice or chapatti. Also choose plenty of vegetables, including lentil side dishes (known as dhal).

Try to avoid: any creamy curries such as korma, passanda or masala with pilau rice, naan, bhajis, pakoras and poppadoms.
    Healthier options: tandoori or madras with chicken, prawns or vegetables, plain rice and chapatti.