what is a realistic goal setting??

Options
I want to increase my weekly calories burned, it is at 790 but i always am above it at least 500, and my weekly exercise minutes is 120 and last week i did 200. I am just not feeling that i am losing enough for what i am doing???

Replies

• gennyvieve
    Options
    remember, you didn't gain weight overnight---it's not safe to lose it at lightning speed either! realistically you should lose no more than a pound a week....that being said, there are weeks you'll lose 5lbs, there are weeks you'll lose 0, it all comes out in the wash. it's a slow process, but the slower you lose it the better chance you have of keeping it off for good!!!! i know that gives me motivation when i have a plateau that i'm stuck on.....
    you'll get there---just give it some time! you'll be buying new pants before you know it! :)

as for the numbers---i generally burn 6-7000cal/week and i think my goal is right under 2000. as long as i'm getting to the gym and logging my exercise i don't worry about how bad i'm blowing their numbers out of the water! but that's just me.....
  • ractayjon
    Options
    You have to set your goals where you think they are achieveable. If you feel that 790 is too low based on what ou are doing then figure out a new "goal" -- it is up to you ...what do you think you are capable of doing and always make your "goal" a little bit more so that you have something to strive for - dont just base it on what you've been doing but instead on what you want to achieve.

When I first started I thought I would exercise 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week. I realized within the first few weeks that I was capable of doing more then that so rather then just say "oh I made my goal" I changed it to be more agressive and told myself I could do 60 minutes 6-7 days a week. Some days I make it and some days I dont - but it is *me* who is responsible and accountable to it so I try to make it everyday. If I get to the end of the week and Im short by a reachable amount - that "goal" helps me to work a bit harder.

So look into yourself -- If you did 200 minutes of exercise last week and that was doable...reset that goal for 200 or 210 or more....all that can happen is that you dont make it and you have to work harder... what a great thought! Good luck!
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Just checking.....are you earting back the calories you exercise away? If you aren't that could be a reason for your stall in weight loss. I can't tell you how many diets I now know I sabotaged because I wasn't getting enough to eat when I took into account how much I was burning off.

As far as a goal. Put it at a little more than you are currently doing and see how it goes.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    What do you have time for? You're doing 120 minutes a week... that's like four 30 minute sessions. Can you turn that into four 45 minute sessions? Or five 30 minute sessions? Or Two 45 minute sessions and two 30 minute sessions? How about One 60 minute session and three 30 minute sessions... LOL

You get the idea! Figure out what'll fit your schedule and adjust your numbers accordingly- if you increase your time exercising you will increase your calorie burn as well. :smile:
  • michellejayne
    Options
    so i should eat my exercise calories???
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    so i should eat my exercise calories???

Yes, you are supposed to eat your exercise calories.... or at least most of them. If you are not 100% sure of the accuracy, my opinion is not to eat more than 75% of them back (just incase!)

Oh - MFP shows them right on your food diary as "earned" calories and add them to your daily total.