A typical 1200 calorie meal plan?

Options
Hi- does anyone have a typical meal plan for 1200 calories a day? I am planning on doing some exercise a few times a week also with the aim of losing up to 2lbs a week. xx

Replies

• ThresaGlass
    Options
    Depends on what you like to eat. I look at the biggest loser recipies and then change them to fit my meals. A usual breakfast for me is around 300 calories. Pancakes with sugar free syrup, turkey bacon and coffee. OR Oatmeal with coffee.. Sometimes Raisen Bran and real fruit and coffee.

Lunch if I am home is sandwich on whole wheat, veggie sticks and water. Or I make a salad with a baked potato. If I am out I usually go to subway because its the healthier option.

Dinner is anything I can make that is healthy and I can portion control. Chicken or turkey meat, once a week I will do red meat.

There are good ideas on the biggest loser recipe site and also sparkpeople. Just custom what you like and make a menu for the week and that will help you stick to it!

It really depends on the foods you like as to how you get a meal plan though. Good luck.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    oohh.... I can hear the drums in the deep... I can hear it now.....

do you know your BMR?
  • Mabuhay1
    Mabuhay1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like to eat. I look at the biggest loser recipies and then change them to fit my meals. A usual breakfast for me is around 300 calories. Pancakes with sugar free syrup, turkey bacon and coffee. OR Oatmeal with coffee.. Sometimes Raisen Bran and real fruit and coffee.

Lunch if I am home is sandwich on whole wheat, veggie sticks and water. Or I make a salad with a baked potato. If I am out I usually go to subway because its the healthier option.

Dinner is anything I can make that is healthy and I can portion control. Chicken or turkey meat, once a week I will do red meat.

There are good ideas on the biggest loser recipe site and also sparkpeople. Just custom what you like and make a menu for the week and that will help you stick to it!

It really depends on the foods you like as to how you get a meal plan though. Good luck.

Thanks for info. I too was looking for recipes.

Cheers
  • letsdothis84
    letsdothis84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, having a look on those sites now! So will use some for my next shopping list!

No i dont know my BMR, how do i find this out? xx
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I eat six times a day.

I am currently trying to arrange that to where each mini meal is 150- 175 calories and the extra calories left I roll over from other mini meals or earn from exercise, I use for dinner. (Just starting this today)

I do this because my day starts at 3am and generally ends at about 10-11pm. I use to eat when ever all day long. So I am use to eating often. Also, I believe it is easier for my body to break down smaller meals.

You can feel free to look in my food diary, it is open for all to see. The only thing is, I am not strictly 1200 calories because I do exercise pretty regularly and I do eat a lot of those calories back and then some, on occasion. Like it or not, it doesn't matter because it works for me. :)

Just make sure what ever you do, you are including only foods you like and aren't limiting yourself too much. It is so easy to quit if you get bored or feel like you have to eat things you really don't care for!

Good luck! :)
  • nikilis
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, having a look on those sites now! So will use some for my next shopping list!

No i dont know my BMR, how do i find this out? xx

fitnessfrog.com

its worth calculating. pot it back here :)
  • letsdothis84
    letsdothis84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have just worked this out on the website and my BMR is 1357, the TDEE is 1872 based on light activity, so is a 1200 calorie a day plan ok? Im sorry i get so confused with this, maths was never my strong point! x
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have just worked this out on the website and my BMR is 1357, the TDEE is 1872 based on light activity, so is a 1200 calorie a day plan ok? Im sorry i get so confused with this, maths was never my strong point! x
    It would probably be better for you to eat 1400 a day, & thats without exercise added. If you burn, lets say 300 calories working it, feel free to eat 1700 that day.
  • uhhuthatsright
    uhhuthatsright Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well, today my calories add up to about 1200:

B: 1/2 c cottage cheese and fruit, coffee

L: 1 slice wholegrain toast with PB, protein shake

D: pork tenderloin, mashed sweet potato, zucchini

S: greek yogurt
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I don't have a typical plan because I think that would get boring and make me more likely to eat unhealthy. I am a clean eater and enjoy good-tasting, natural, homemade, gourmet food. The most regular thing for me is breakfast - I usually eat oatmeal with added fiber because I have IBS. I have two snacks a day (fruit, veggies, hummus). I limit dairy because of the IBS which cuts out fat free yogurt, but yogurt is a good snack option for many women. For lunch and dinner I do a lot of salad with lean protein and whole carbs. I don't drink soda or juice. Mineral water is a good substitute. I also don't eat red or processed meat - only animals that fly or swim :) I eat lots of beans for protein. Feel free to look at my diary.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Something that works for me (but I am certainly no expert), is to divide my calories up per meal (approx 300 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner) and find meals that fit into that range. I pre log everyday so I know what I can eat and I try not to get caught without food in the house so I won't be tempted to get something easy (ie, take out). I find that cooking for myself gives me greater control over what I am eating and I am of the camp that's says eat what your want, just control your portion sizes and make it work within your daily caloric range. Remember, this is for a lifetime and I for one cannot live in a world without pasta or wine or cake. I just exercise more or eat less to make room for those things and if I will lose slower than others for those choices, so be it.

Good luck to you. There are plenty of great recipes sites on the Internet. Find foods you love that are good for you and that's a great place to start.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No i dont know my BMR, how do i find this out?
    By having it measured. Anything else is an estimate.
  • djcuts
    djcuts Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat six times a day.

I am currently trying to arrange that to where each mini meal is 150- 175 calories and the extra calories left I roll over from other mini meals or earn from exercise, I use for dinner. (Just starting this today)

I do this because my day starts at 3am and generally ends at about 10-11pm. I use to eat when ever all day long. So I am use to eating often. Also, I believe it is easier for my body to break down smaller meals.

You can feel free to look in my food diary, it is open for all to see. The only thing is, I am not strictly 1200 calories because I do exercise pretty regularly and I do eat a lot of those calories back and then some, on occasion. Like it or not, it doesn't matter because it works for me. :)

Just make sure what ever you do, you are including only foods you like and aren't limiting yourself too much. It is so easy to quit if you get bored or feel like you have to eat things you really don't care for!

Good luck! :)

Eating 6 times a day is unnecessary. Recent research shows that eating 6 times a day has no benefit over consuming your calories for the day in 2 or 3 larger meals. I have been following intermittent fasting and have had amazing results. Quick fat loss and massive improvements in strength and energy:

If you take the time to read this and (which is also backed up with the links to the actual research / studies to back this up, something which you will never find anyone who preaches 6 meals able to do).

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

This opened my eyes to all the myths that are out there and enabled me to make the choices that has seen me make massive progress. I only wish I had read the above years ago.

Not only is eating 6 times a day is unnecessary, it is also impractical (who wants to be preparing and carrying 6 meals every day?) and you are never satisfied from a meal as they are so small (hence you will always be hungry and therefore prone to falling off the wagon).
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    i used that bmr calculator on fitnessfrog and it says 1573? but MFP has me on 1340 calories........
  • tknight1984
    Options
    What i do is...

Breakfast : Protein shake
    Mid morning: Fruit salad
    Lunch: Greek Salad
    Afternoon: Fruit salad
    Dinner: Fish/Lean Meat and vegetables
  • nikilis
    Options
    i used that bmr calculator on fitnessfrog and it says 1573? but MFP has me on 1340 calories........

BMR = your maintenance level. so if you eat 1573 your weight will stay the same.

usually 20% under your BMR is a healthy deficit, which would give you a deficit intake of 1260.

1340 is completely fine also.

BUT - this is before exercise. you can eat more (if you want to) if you exercise - just add it to your diary and if you feel like eating some of your exercise cals back, go right ahead.

thats the application of my limited knowledge. ENJOY!
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I found that starting with something proteiny in the morning, and then soup at lunch, meant I could have a normal dinner (protein and veg and maybe some carbs) and still largely remain in 1200.
    That includes a couple of cups of coffee and drinks with lunch and dinner (cordial or juice).

It's more about balancing what you have and staying fuller, longer...

ETA: The post above states 1340 is ok - and that's exactly what I do - if I go over I tend to aim for 140-170 which is a proportion of the exercise cals that MFP sets based on my settings.
    In reality I burn more 3 days a week as I am increasing my gym sessions, but every other day, I burn significantly less.

Working gradually - have lost half a stone since starting exercising and logging...
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    have a look at my diary!
  • nikilis
    Options

probably you need to eat more because of your exercise. due to your BMR, 1200 may be ok for you BUT it would be better to talk to your doctor or a nutritionist, because 1200 is the number in general that noone should go below. if you start to struggle with 1200 you could increase your intake due to your exercise.

it would be worth running past a professional.