Help - Don't know how to get the nutritional info for

Options
Potatoes and Carrots served in a Beef Stew. My MIL is bringing us home made beef stew tonight. I don't like the beef, but I want to have some potatoes and carrots with a piece of french bread. How do I figure out the portion size I can have / nutritional info for it? I have such a headache now.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• JLynnScov
    Options
    Ok, so on calorie counter it says that 1 cup of cooked potatoes is only 70 calories? That can't be true, can it?
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-yukon-gold-potatoes-cooked-without-i287827
  • JLynnScov
    Options
    But on this website it says that a 4 inch potato, boiled, without skin would be 250 calories?
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Just a thought... how about looking for just Beef Stew, and then subtracting the beef?

Homemade - beef stew - beef stew meat, russet potatoes, carrots, onion, celery: 537 cals
    Homemade - beef stew meat 45 cals for 1 oz - 2 oz in a serving?: 90 cals
    537-90=447 cals
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Just a thought... how about looking for just Beef Stew, and then subtracting the beef?

Homemade - beef stew - beef stew meat, russet potatoes, carrots, onion, celery: 537 cals
    537-90=447 cals

This is probably what I'd do, then add the bread. Also I'm sure you realize this, but it's going to be a very loose estimate as it's homemade. Depending on what is in it, it could be the difference of a couple hundred calories. But you should get an okay ballpark if you try to find some generic beef stew, estimate how much beef you picked out, then just take that number
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options

537-90=447 cals

seems logical.
  • cindyredmond65
    Options
    I noticed that too, that some items on thier package or calorie counter site is way different then on here.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

537-90=447 cals

This is probably what I'd do, then add the bread. Also I'm sure you realize this, but it's going to be a very loose estimate as it's homemade. Depending on what is in it, it could be the difference of a couple hundred calories. But you should get an okay ballpark if you try to find some generic beef stew, estimate how much beef you picked out, then just take that number

Sounds like a good approach.

And, (assuming you're using measuring cups/digital scale), you'll be better able to estimate your food as you gain experience/practice.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I noticed that too, that some items on thier package or calorie counter site is way different then on here.

Be very suspicious of user-entered foods that seem off. They probably are.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Or you could ask her for her recipe, plug in all of the ingredients except the beef into the recipe calculator on this site, figure out your serving size and then you would know exactly how many calories
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    You could always ask your MIL for the recipe and enter it in yourself. If she can tell you what she put in and how much, you can get a much closer calorie count. Then just don't add the beef to the recipe.