Exercise - yoga

Options
So does Yoga not count as ;any exercise. It does not seem to come up at all when I try to add to my exercise list.

Replies

• EliseInWonderland
    Options
    Are you searching for it under cardio. Try looking up stretching too. Or google how many calories Yoga burns per hour and add it into your database.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've seen it listed in the cardio database.
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I practice bikram yoga and had to add it to the database. I looked up info on the official bikram site to find out how many calories it burns. I added an approximate ammount, so I know it is not exact, but more or less, I figure I am ok.

If you cannot find it, I would suggest you do the same. If you don't know how many calories your session burns, just trying googling "how many calories does - (insert your yoga type) - burn".

Just out of curiosty from one yogi to another, which style do you practice? :-)
  • shrikester
    shrikester Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I go to Bikram yoga too, also was curious about the calories burn, seems a lot to me! Up to 1000 per session.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have used it on here, it lets you enter minutes. I have been doing a 20 minute routine, I think starting tonight I am going to record it as half (10mins). I have sort of decided it is not that intense, but still want to count it in my routine.
  • issystclaire
    Options
    I go to Bikram yoga too, also was curious about the calories burn, seems a lot to me! Up to 1000 per session.

I read it can burn about 600 calories per session - that is from Bikram's personal site http://www.bikramyoga.com/. For my own I put 500 calories as I figure it is more suited to my current size/body shape (I am only about 5'4")

Either way, that is awesome. Nice to meet another Bikram convert. :-)
  • tjmist
    tjmist Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Actually of all the styles of yoga vinyasa burns the most calories. If you look in the exercise log they have stretching hatha yoga which is usually 400 ish calories per hour, and vinyasa which is usually 600+ calories per hour. Obviously I wouldn't swear by these numbers. I do a lot of vinyasa but depending upon how rigorous the class is I'll break it up like 45 minutes vinyasa and 10 minutes stretching yoga.. etc.... Also, yoga is one of those disciplines that you get out as much as you put into it, there are people in my class who barely break a sweat while others are dripping by the end. Either way yoga is really fun and a great way to trim down!
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do vinyasa and ashtanga, most days but just log it under "yoga"--if I burn more calories than the database says, it's a bonus!
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do vinyasa as well. usually about 150 cals per hour for me with my HRM... The website way overestimates for me!
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap heart rate monitor to track my calorie burn during yoga.
  • issystclaire
    Options
    . Either way yoga is really fun and a great way to trim down!

I love bikram as well, it is the first thing I have tired that I actually enjoy doing! Aside from the wonderful phsyical benefits, I find the mental benefits in terms of stress management, etc are what really help me as well. After every class, I feel energised, positive, happy and just generally good all over. I am a total yogi convert, lols. :-)
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Generally my heart rate doesn't get really high when I do yoga, so my HRM only reads like 90 cals per 40 minutes of yoga.
    I know I'm getting stronger holding these poses but the cals don't really match how I feel, boo!!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Actually of all the styles of yoga vinyasa burns the most calories. If you look in the exercise log they have stretching hatha yoga which is usually 400 ish calories per hour, and vinyasa which is usually 600+ calories per hour. Obviously I wouldn't swear by these numbers. I do a lot of vinyasa but depending upon how rigorous the class is I'll break it up like 45 minutes vinyasa and 10 minutes stretching yoga.. etc.... Also, yoga is one of those disciplines that you get out as much as you put into it, there are people in my class who barely break a sweat while others are dripping by the end. Either way yoga is really fun and a great way to trim down!

I'm not sure about 600+ per hour cal burn for vinyasa.

I am a big girl and I wear a HRM for my weekly 90 min yoga vinyasa flow class.>> I do keep up with all the flows, thanks for asking :) << and it puts me about 370-450 cals for that time depending on the flow types and lengths. Lots of going from sun salutations to downward dog to plank to cobra really tend to get the numbers up. Ok, we do a 10 min stretch up and a 5 min warm down at the beginning and end but there are still 75 mins of non-stop movement inbetween.

If you really want to know the right number of cals burned for you, I would advise you to buy or borrow a HRM and get the numbers for yourself.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    There is a yoga group for anyone that wants to join and talk yoga:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

There's also a Bikram group, you can search groups to find it.
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yoga is there. I do it 6 days a week. Look under hatha yoga, stretching.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've worn my HRM during a yoga class before and it didn't seem to give me any kind of extra boost from a burn perspective so I don't really consider it a calorie burner. I'm not sure what the type is but it's more stretching type stuff versus power moves.