Im sure this has been asked before but....

Options
Should I eat before or after I exercise? I don't like eating late so I eat dinner before I go to zumba at 6. Should I wait?

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You should really let your food digest, or at least give it two hours before you do any strenuous exercise, as your heart works hard enough during digestion, without adding exercise into the equation.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want. It's just personal preference. I can't eat right before a workout because it makes me sick. I have friends though that can eat half a pizza and then immediately go for a run. Do what works for you.

Also - there is nothing wrong with eating late. It won't make you store fat or anything like that. But if you don't like to eat late, that's fine too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i personally don't like to work out on a full stomach. for morning work outs, its usually just coffee, and maybe a piece of fruit and a spoonful of peanut butter. for afternoons, it's an apple and some almonds, but usually just an hour before.

eating late has no effect on weight loss. i don't like to eat a heavy dinner within an hour or two of going to bed, just because it upsets my sleep.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think this is one of those "what works for you" things. For *me*, if given this scenario, would definitely eat after as I have no problems sleeping after eating. However, I can't exercise after 7ish p because I definitely have trouble sleeping after exercise.

And I'm not buying this "two hour minimum" thing. Sounds too much like the bogus "wait at least 30 minutes after eating before swimming" advice. That said, if you do try to exercise too soon after eating (too much), your body has a very effective way of letting you know.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you... If I eat before then I am miserable! So I eat afterwards, even if its a little later in the evenings. I tend to eat less because I am feeling so great from my workout. I eat healthier.
  • crazyxperson
    Options
    In my experience, it's best to eat something small like a granola bar, apple, or banana about half an hour before your workout. It helps give you fuel, but-for most people-won't make you want to throw up or anything. Then eat after your workout as soon as you're hungry.
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options
    yeah, pretty much personal preference. If you feel good working out after you eat then by all means you may. I recently changed to working out on a empty stomach and prefer it now. good luck!
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You should be eating before and after exercise. Pre and post-workout nutrition is critical, because it allows the body to have the necessary energy to exercise effectively, as well as the right macro-nutrients and energy after exercise to help with recovery.

Good read:
    http://www.answerfitness.com/327/should-i-eat-before-or-after-exercise/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/396780-should-you-eat-before-or-after-exercise-to-lose-weight/
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Im all for dinner before workout but at least and hour before to let it settle. I often finish work at 8, dinner at half 8 and start workout at 10pm
  • Faith2Bfit
    Faith2Bfit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :) It doesnt bother me to eat before (i don't get sick or anything) I just didnt know if there was any health reasons for before or after. So my decision is to eat a snack before and eat after,