Multivitamin Question

Options
Hi Everyone!

I was hoping that maybe someone could help me a little with choosing a multivitamin. Well, lets see, I have started taking the target generic Women's Daily Multivitamin (same as One-A-Day, pretty much) and it has resulted in some constipation (which I am assuming is the iron since I get a lot of iron from foods already). Now, I went back to the store to look at multivitamins to find one without iron or maybe 50% DV or less of it, and that seems it is either Women's 50+ or Mens Multivitamin have it (standard adult vitamins have 100% DV of iron.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on vitamins for a 22 year old female, I would very much appreciate it. I do eat A LOT of fiber, so the iron is just a little too much for me I think. I guess finding the right multivitamin is trial and error, huh?

Thanks again! :smile:

Replies

• gennyvieve
    Options
    i'm a fan of prenatal vitamins----i've been taking them for years, way before i had my kid, and continue to take them to this day....they make my hair shiny and my nails grow strong :)
    but i have no idea about the iron content, so i'm guessing it will be trial and error for ya :)
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gennyvieve. I think they have more iron though than regular daily. Does anyone know if it would bother me much to take a Men's adult vitamin? I am just trying to figure out what I may be lacking if I take a different vitamin - the boxes don't seem to be too much different, just that some vitamins are higher or lower for either gender.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I take New Chapter Vitamins.. They are organic, easy to digest and no constipation!!!! I LOVE them!!
  • hehubbard83
    Options
    I take Women's one a day Weight Loss. I figure I can get my daily vitamins while taking something to help me lose weight!
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    Check out GNC, I'm pretty sure I saw a multi vitamin without iron.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    try a childrens multi. Because of the risk of iron poisoning, they don't contain iron. I'm looking at my daughter's gummy vites and they have percentages of each vitamin listed based on ages 2-4 and ages 4 and up. I also know people who have taken children's multi's instead of prenatals when they were pregnant because prenatals make a lot of women nauseous.
  • dkcj4fox
    Options
    Source Naturals makes a very good multi. It's called Life Force Multiple. They have it with or without Iron.

Good quality and a good price.

If you have a Vitamin Shoppe close by, they will carry it.

I also suggest people use a good quality Fish Oil. Great for the heart, brain, nervous system and joints.
  • paulaswrld
    Options
    I was also going to suggest the children's vitamin. When I was pg, I just took 2 of those per day. I got to have the gummy ones. Loved them!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Source Naturals makes a very good multi. It's called Life Force Multiple. They have it with or without Iron.

Good quality and a good price.

If you have a Vitamin Shoppe close by, they will carry it.

I also suggest people use a good quality Fish Oil. Great for the heart, brain, nervous system and joints.

Thanks for the info. I am already taking fish oil as well. :wink: There vitamins sound pretty good.. what about their Mega One Multi versus Life Force Multi? Any ideas?
  • dkcj4fox
    Options
    The mega looks like they tried to put as much vit/min as they could into 1 tablet. So if you always forget to take your multi, this would be convenient since it's only 1 tab/day.

The Life Force has some extras --- green tea, coq10, ginko, A-lipoic acid, etc. --- (basically some antioxidants.)

I like to spread my multi throughout the day for better absorption rather than taken all at once. But I rarely forget.
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    Just ask your pharmacist. They'd be able to recommend one.