Frustrated With Weight Loss

kbarn009
kbarn009 Posts: 17
edited September 20 in Success Stories
I am hoping these stories will help me. I am just starting this program. I have been doing weight watchers since I was 19 and I have gained only 8 lbs in 10 years. I still eat the same, healthy foods, I wonder sometimes if I am not eating enough calories. Like today, after dinner I have 300 left still. I have crohns so I am thinking some of my meds are causing me to struggle as well. Any input on what works and so forth or just saying this does work would help.

Kel

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    dont give up .... be patient this is a lifestyle not diet.... keep doing what your doing and you will be just fine ......YOU CAN DO THIS AND THIS DOES WORK ..... GOOD LUCK TO YOU :bigsmile:
  • Thanks, i think my body is just so immune to weight watchers now and that is why it isn't doing anything for me. Now I think I need to count calories instead. I am supposed to have 1333 a day. So do you have to eat all of your calories or close each day to be successful. I know on weight watchers if we didn't eat points it didn't work.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    This works. Absolutely. It's been the only thing that has worked for me, and I've learned so much.

Tips:

Drink your water
    Do some cardio most days (www.exercisetv.tv and www.sparkpeople.com both have great free workout videos)
    Eat at least most of your exercise calories
    Don't quit if you slip up (we all slip, but we're still here)
    Don't have anything you can't resist in the house
    Don't be discouraged if the weight comes off slowly, or if you're up a couple of pounds- again, it happens to all of us.
    Slow and steady wins the race. :)
    Log EVERYTHING!

Stay involved in the message boards here. Everyone is very supportive, and that support helps a lot. Plus, being involved here keeps you more aware, and you'll learn a lot.

Good luck.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Crohn's is a challenge for healthy eating and fitness, not to mention weight control. Whenever I get a flare-up I lose a lot of weight, but I feel too crummy to do anything so I'm losing muscle mass. Then the treatment is usually steroids. Aside from the water retention and putting on fat in strange places, it also gives me a huge appetite - I'm still working off the 30 pounds I put on last time I was on prednisone. I've been on azathioprine (Imuran) for the last couple of years and so far so good.

Because of this cycle of getting sick, losing fat and muscle mass, going on steroids and gaining it all back, but mostly fat, I find that my weight comes off very slowly BUT it's coming off. Take your time, make small changes and make them last. You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Also remember that it becomes increasingly important to maintain/build lean muscle mass the older we get. As we age, we start to lose muscle little by little if we don't work to maintain what we have. When muscle goes, metabolism slows. NPR just had a little story about this that I heard today: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123887823

I don't know what kind of exercise you are getting, but considering adding more weight training things if you aren't doing that already.
  • So another question, do you all find these calories for eating out pretty accurate? I went to Applebess today and got the Quesadilla Burger and it said 521 calories and I got it without the mexi ranch, well then I went back in and was looking at other Applebee calories and saw it was 1440 for one entry! I was so upset after I researched a little more UGH:( I am not sure which one is correct and I def. want to be sure that I am doing the right thing...like I said I weigh 145, I lost 75 lbs 10 years ago and slowly these extra 10 over the last 10 years. I still do weight watchers BUT it just maintains where I am and I want to loose back to around 139. I think sometimes I just don't eat enough bc I do those points bc last night I had to make myself finish up the calories I was alloted for the day. Is this like Weight Watchers, you have to eat ALL of your calories???
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    WATCH OUT for calories for out to eat foods! From what I've heard the Quesdilla burger is 1440 calories for one burger! Applebee's doesn't publish their nutrition info for a reason!! An appetizer sampler is 124g of fat, a chicken tender basket is 1000 calories and 60g-70g of fat, I think. It's all poison except maybe the under 550 calorie meals.
  • Thanks, yeah I was so UPSET when I realized that but I cut back today and weighed them out between the two days. I try to check it out on the website instead to determine if want to eat there or not.
  • kurtybee
    kurtybee Posts: 17
    Your body needs a min amount of calories to function. That is what your daily goal is. If you eat way below that like what you are doing your body will begin to store fat because it will think that it is starving. You need to get as close to your goal as possible without going over. If you have a bunch at the end of the day like you do then eat something. You can treat yourself to some dessert. If I have a bunch of calories left over I go and have a piece of cake or ice cream that adds up to the rest of calories I have remaining. Nothing is wrong with treating yourself to something as long as you stay close to your daily amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!