Heart Rate Monitor a must?

I can't decide, is a heart rate monitor a must for weight loss? So far I've just been using MFP and logging my excerise calories and mostly eating them back. I've read on here that the calorie amounts that MFP says you burned are way off which means if I'm eating my excerise calories back then I'm eating to much. I also read on here that a HRM is only 75% accurate on calories burned. So is it worth it for me to buy a HRM to use for the purpose of tracking how many calories I burned or should I just not eat all my excerise calories logged here on MFP? Hope this makes sense...:smile:

Replies

• No it's not a must. I don't think even HRM's are 100% accurate. Just find what works best for you. I was eating all my calories back but am now only eating 1/2 or none just in case they are off. I honestly only eat them if my body feels like it needs them.
  • carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    I love mine. It is interesting to see how much MFP will under/over estimate. I unfortunately lost half of it when I moved(sad day). I noticed much more results with it than without. I have heard great things about the FitBit.
  • kaellinn18
    kaellinn18 Posts: 31 Member
    To accurately get exercise calories, a heart rate monitor IS A MUST. It's not going to be 100% accurate, but it's going to be a hell of a lot more accurate than the essentially random number in the MFP database.
  • I use a heart rate moniter to ensure I am working hard during my workouts. I never eat back my calories burn't, what is the point of all that work just to eat it all back. Makes no sense to me.

I have been doing this for 9 weeks now and lots 8.5kgs or 18 pounds. I average 500 calorie burn each workout 5 days a week and like I said I never burn calories so I can eat more.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    I got one and am glad. MFP is not spot on with cals. Sometimes there is a huge difference. I normally take my HRM reading and MFP if they are close add them and divide by 2 for the average. But some activites on here are way to high in cals burned.
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    I think it is worth it to get a monitor. If you do decide to get one make sure you get one with a chest strap. I use a Polar FT4. I would get one especially if you are eating back your calories, your weight, effort put into the workout and overall fitness level can have an effect on how many calories you burn, having a HRM will help give an more accurate count of your efforts.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I care more about keeping my heart rate in the zones I'm working, than I do about the calories it says I burn.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    To accurately get exercise calories, a heart rate monitor IS A MUST. It's not going to be 100% accurate, but it's going to be a hell of a lot more accurate than the essentially random number in the MFP database.

Ditto... I notice a major change in my numbers after I got one.
  • rmarley05
    rmarley05 Posts: 29 Member
    I have one and love it! I love making sure I am at a target heart rate and I do use it to count my calories. I've found that MFP over estimated me and the readings on my treadmill were crazy off lol!! I usually only eat about half back of the calories I burn.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    No...your body will burn fat with or without a heart rate monitor.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Yes! I highly recommend using a chest strap heart rate monitor. I have a Polar FT4, but have heard good things about the newer Polar FT7.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I never used one. I got the progress I wanted without one, so why bother?
  • Is it a must? Absolutely not.
    Is it handy? Yes, I have a Polar FT60 and love it. I use mine more for insuring what my actual heart rate is rather than worrying on calories though.

Is it going to mean you give up something you would have bought for exercise? Is it worth it? Which are you going to use/want more?

As long as you are watching what you eat, and how much you move, you will be successful :) The HRM is a great tool... but so are free weights, an elliptical, etc.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    if you don't already have food scale, buy one of those first.

if you have $60-80 to spare, get yourself a heart rate monitor. polar seems to be the way to go.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    I have loved having mine...I don't like estimating my calorie burn, because the numbers are always way off. You can do it without it--but be cautious when eating exercise calories back :)
  • Love mine! I don't wear it al the time, but it gives me a good idea, on what i have done and helps me stick to my target heart rates