mashed potatoes

Options
Is there a healthy mashed potatoe?

Replies

• sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you call healthy. I usually will make mashed potato from one cooked yukon gold potato, a splash of skim milk and about a teaspoon of butter. Usually I'll just have a baked potato with a touch of butter and a sprinkle of grated cheese.
  • AnneRoots
    Options
    use "butter buds" and cut calories, also, if boiling the potatoes, substitute on third with boiled then mashed turnips, salt & garlic, yummm
  • shelle2010
    Options
    thanks
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You can sub in chicken stock to cut cals, but there is nothing really inherently unhealthy about mashed potatoes, unless you think dairy and fats and starches are evil
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

You can sub in chicken stock to cut cals, but there is nothing really inherently unhealthy about mashed potatoes, unless you thing dairy and fats and starches are evil

This
    and it is danged difficult to eat only one serving (something like 1/2 cup)
    I have mashed mine with cooked parsnips to give a different taste and cut the calories a little.
    You can also use sweet potatoe instead to up some of the nutrients.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess. that counts for snickers bars just the same as it does for potatoes.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I miss mashed potatoes!!! :sad:
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I love mashed potatoes and I don't screw with them. Butter and milk all the way! the extra calories are worth it to me
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    Try 2/3 boiled caulifllour with 1/3 boiled potatoes. Blend up with a hand blender. Add a little milk (you don't need as much because the cauliflour is more "wet") and a bit of margarine or butter... basically as little as you can with still getting the taste you want.

I did this for our Thanksgiving dinner and didn't tell people until after and my guests were shocked and wanted the recipe after!
  • Timfran22
    Options
    I take one small potato and I over cook some cauliflower and smash it all together. You can add a bit of skim milk and butter or butter substitute. If you like sour cream on your baked potatoes you can add some FF greek yogurt or FF sour cream it will give you that tangy taste sour cream does on a baked potato and make them creamy.
  • aidsmith
    aidsmith Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find potatoes (or bread) in any form just wreck the calorie count.. They are relatively tastelss stodge and you can haved loads of tasty veg or salad instead, for the same number of calories.

For the (calorie) price of a lump of stodgy mash you could gave a couple of glasses of wine, or a sensible desert. I know which I'd rather have.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you use a reasonable recipe for mashed potatoes (2% milk instead of heavy cream, for example) they're really not all that unhealthy. Leave the skins on the potatoes for more nutrients.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes all the time. To cut calories, I make,"caulipots," which are half potatoes and half cauliflower. And I use vegetable broth to moisten it. Tastes delicious!
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1637526
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Of course mashed potatoes are healthy. Um, it's potatoes, butter, milk and a pinch of salt. There is nothing unhealthy about that.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I find potatoes (or bread) in any form just wreck the calorie count.. They are relatively tastelss stodge and you can haved loads of tasty veg or salad instead, for the same number of calories.

For the (calorie) price of a lump of stodgy mash you could gave a couple of glasses of wine, or a sensible desert. I know which I'd rather have.

Or have the mashed potatoes *and* dessert because you worked your *kitten* off, then just skip the wine because it's yucky anyway. :tongue: :laugh:
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Or have the mashed potatoes *and* dessert because you worked your *kitten* off, then just skip the wine because it's yucky anyway. :tongue: :laugh:

Preach on, Sister! Can we get an AMEN?
  • ommnomnom
    ommnomnom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower is lovely. I do have a serious craving for some real mash now though, with real butter and ff milk. I put a few lumps of mash into a bowl of soup for the ultimate comfort food. I think you can splash out on these things in moderation. If you don't trust yourself to not tear into the leftovers then just try to make a smaller amount or buy a couple of single potatoes so that you don't have enough ingredients.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    baked potato with the skins ... can add anything you want thats healthy if you are looking for a healthy one ..even a dollop of light sour cream would be ok if you count all the calories

cauliflower is used instead of potatoes and ive had them that way but they are always too watery and mushy
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try 2/3 boiled caulifllour with 1/3 boiled potatoes. Blend up with a hand blender. Add a little milk (you don't need as much because the cauliflour is more "wet") and a bit of margarine or butter... basically as little as you can with still getting the taste you want.

I did this for our Thanksgiving dinner and didn't tell people until after and my guests were shocked and wanted the recipe after!

I'm a total potato addict and I had thought I'd never be able to eat potatoes again - - but I discovered this a while back and it has saved me. I enjoy mashed potatoes this way - and don't get as worried about the serving size.
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Make sure you leave the skin on.....very healthy!