working out calories when excersing

Options
I just finished my first week of MFP and have gained a tiny 200 gr.I am dissapointed with the scale result but will get the tape measure out and measure that way also.
I have increased my activity and use all of the 1950 cals allocatied from MFP (before excersize). I have 47kg to lose (about 100 pounds).
Is it best not to eat the calories burnt in excersize? Does everyone input their excersize or just think of it as a bonus and know that you have that advantage with weightloss.
I'm getting confused when my calories remaining adjusts and increases after excersize and I'm wondering if I'm eating too much when I go over the 1950 cal and eat my burnt cals?
Any suggestions fellowMFP users please?

Thanks

Replies

• powahouse11
    Options
    Hi There, I guess the simplest way to think about it is this: try to burn more calories than you are eating. I have read some posts that say you can eat back your calories added from exercise but I tend not to. I eat the recommended calories and then add my exercise. Does this make sense?

Have you included exercise when you first set up your account?
    The best thing you can do is eat healthy and exercise :)
  • christinekmw
    christinekmw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have also done much better when I consume the allotted calories but do not add food to cover the exercise that I have done. Losing weight is all about burning more calories than you consume, whatever diet you subscribe to so the more calories you burn the better off you are.
  • lisasshmisa
    Options
    thanks.I'll do that..I appreciate your support :)
  • lisasshmisa
    Options
    Yes that does make sense. I have read posts like that too and I think thats where my confusion came in.And when I first set up my account I wasn't ,moving so I didn't add in the excersise, I'll go and change that now,thanks for your advice,it means a lot :)
  • blpasquarella
    blpasquarella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you're eating. I try to never ever ever net under 1200 calories. Right now I have my calorie allotment at 1200/day but I eat back my exercise calories (so I eat around 1500-1600.) If you're eating 1900ish, as long as you're not burning more than 700 calories you're in the clear.

This is just what works for me. If I net under 1200, my body goes into starvation mode (as do most people.) Some people lose weight this way, but it's not healthy.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 pounds and have found if I ate more than 1/2 of my exercise calories, weight loss was slowed or stopped. I know that some will argue muscle vs. fat and muscle is denser...but if you are in weight loss mode, and that is your sole goal, keep a calorie deficit. And get a heart rate monitor (HRM) to get a better idea of you calories burned during cardio workouts.
  • lisasshmisa
    Options
    thanks for your support,I'll try that
  • lisasshmisa
    Options
    :smile: thanks for your advice,a heart rate monitor is a good idea.i do alot of excersise in the water.I wonder if you can get a water proof one?
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I basically look at my net calories. If it is at 1200 then I know I am good to go. I also set my activity level to sedentary(1280 for me). I work out twice a day so I eat a good chunk of them back. Otherwise I wake up in the middle of the night starving!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Remember its all estimates and small errors mount up. If you underestimate your food by 200 calories and overestimate your exercise each day by 200 calories and eat your exercise then in 8 days you gain a pound. Thats one reason to leave a margin and not eat all your exercise calories. Unless you are dedicated, you will forget to log all food and you wil generally underestimate. For exercise, most people overestimate.

For example, I went for a walk today, the difference between my heart monitor and my FitBIt was 175 calories (and MFP would have been a higher estimate than my heart monitor). When I came back I noticed some pita bread on the table and realized I forget to log it, that's 150 calories.
  • lisasshmisa
    Options
    so thats why i wake up hunry after 2 hrs sleep........:laugh: I have sedentary setting but because my excersise is low impact due to medical restrictions I dont count the cals burnt unless i do a swim or hydrotherapy sometimes
  • lisasshmisa
    Options
    I am home on disability so i have made it my job to lose weight which is a bonus so I log everything but I think i need a heart rate monitor because the cals in excersise seem way too much..i leave a margin but i think your right..can you please tell me about the heart rate monitor? i do cardio in the pool so i guess i need a waterproof one?:smile: