Mirena and weight loss/gain

Options
Hi folks,

I've been at it for quite some time, but came to the realization today that my weightloss stalled when I got the Mirena IUD put in.

Anyone else?

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I thought the IUD was non hormonal, if it is it should make absolutely no difference, the implanon makes me lose and the pill makes me gain, but all non hormonal contraceptives shouldnt have that affect at all
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I thought the IUD was non hormonal, if it is it should make absolutely no difference, the implanon makes me lose and the pill makes me gain, but all non hormonal contraceptives shouldnt have that affect at all

Mirena has hormones in it.

I'm getting one tomorrow. I really doubt it will affect my body composition that much.

ETA: Some IUD's don't have hormones.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    no problems with mine, I believe less hormones circulate with them than with the pills.
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Mirena is hormonal.

I haven't had problems with losing weight with the Mirena.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Ahh bum, I was hoping to get it put in because the hormones send me whacky!
  • dmalin0731
    Options
    I've never used Mirena, but Implaon made me gain like crazy!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    The Mirena only has one type of hormone...which usually makes it okay for people prone to clotting (like me) or people who are sensitive to hormonal BC. If you're still concerned, look at the Paragard --copper, no hormones.
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    I didn't notice a gain with my MIrena. I had it for almost 5 years. However I dropped 5lbs the first week I had it taken out. I am not on birth control pills but that may make me gain too.
  • ocbrenda
    ocbrenda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I been on mirena for 3 years and I been losing weight
  • MPwife10
    MPwife10 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have had the mirena since Jan 2010 and I have lost 74lbs. My OB told me that it doesn't cause weight gain...like I thought when I first started trying to lose weight before MFP.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have mire a on my second one as a matter of fact. I had my first one the full 5 years and I'm a year into my second. I did not gain with it and I am losing with.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You're lucky you lost weight instead of gaining weight!
  • Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena (over seven years total) and haven't had problems losing weight.
  • helpmeherman
    helpmeherman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Mirena for 7 years. It does have a small amount of progestin, but it is isolated in the uterus and is undetectable in the blood stream, so it shouldn't affect your weight loss or gain.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to have my third one put in...I weigh a lot less now than when I had my first one put in...so I'm going to say no on the weight gain!!
  • Becca_Va
    Becca_Va Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had my second mirena placed oct 2011 and by new years, I had gained almost 20 lbs. even though i had my son in july, i was maintaining my weight with diet alone... then the mirena was put in and nothing else changed, except my weight. I've spent all of this year trying to lose the weight in preparation for baby #2, but nothing has worked matter what i've done. I've been to the dr's and was told to 'try harder'. because of the weight and some other symptoms, I'll be having it removed as soon as i can get an appt. Good luck with yours....i certainly won't be missing mine.
  • megtastic80
    Options
    Sorry, but I hated the Mirena IUD. If you heard it can happen to people with one, it happened to me!!!

Weight gain
    Moods
    Pimples
    PAIN!!

I had it taken out when it didnt settle down after 12 months!
  • krw5193
    krw5193 Posts: 2
    Options
    Omg, I gained SO MUCH weight with the mirena IUD. I'm 19 years old, never had children. Got it put in in may 2012 after getting with my boyfriend..then I weighed 140. I now weigh almost 175. I do like to eat, BUT let me mention, before I got this birth control put in, I was able to eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and never gained weight maybe like a few pounds a year like normal. Now I gained 40+ lbs. I don't eat fast food anymore, don't eat soda , and I don't wag a lot anymore anyways because I work and I literally always forget my lunch at home. sometimes I don't eat dinner. but STILL gaining weight! I have developed horrible stretch marks on my breasts, side, butt, and from my thighs trailing down almost to my knees because it was such a fast weight gain. I try to diet and work out but the pounds keep coming! I really loved this birth control besides the cramps in the beginning and sporting/bleeding..but this weight gain really sucks. I'm not comfortable in my skin anymore. I won't wear shorts, dresses or tight shirts like I use to. And I definitely won't be wearing a bikini ANY TIME soon. I will be getting the morena removed asap :/
  • krw5193
    krw5193 Posts: 2
    Options
    In my last post I meant I don't drink soda anymore, and I don't eat a lot anymore** not wag...auto correct.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Not sure on the weight gain for some. I am losing on mine.

But the Pimples. OMG. and they are all along my chin/neck which means its all hormonal.

I will be glad to get this thing taken out.