weight loss with walking alone?

Options
jordypooo
jordypooo Posts: 25 Member
did anybody have results with just walking, no running, zumba, or anything like that. just walking?

Replies

• lisamariepickering
    Options
    Several years back my mom lost about 60-70 lbs, all from eating right and walking only, no other exercise. You just have to up the challenge every so often to keep seeing results- longer distances, faster speeds or higher inclines. You don't want your body to get used to the same old routine or you'll plateau. Good luck!
  • tad10301030
    tad10301030 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight walking. With just power walking I have lost over 20 lbs. I am now working some running into the mix. For quite a while I could walk faster than I could jog. If you work on your pace an consistency you will see the weight com off. It's a great way to exercise!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was so heavy in the beginning and out of shape that walking was all I could do. Eventually I believe it will need to be ramped up to get results.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Until the last couple of weeks, walking was the ONLY exercise I have done since I started my weight loss journey in March. I have lost almost 100 pounds with no other exercise. I walked a mile or less when I first started, because that is all I could manage. But now I frequently walk 5 miles at a time, and this last weekend I hiked 7 miles through the national forest! Walking can be very effective for weight loss when combined with a healthy diet.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    walking is all I was doing up to 4 weeks ago and I lost 22 lbs and that was from Aug 3rd to Sept 14th
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight just walking. Really, losing weight is about creating a calorie deficit, and you can do that without any exercise at all. Exercise helps you create that deficit (and has lots of other benefits too). Doing some resistance or weight training, if you are willing/able, will help to preserve your muscle mass, so that the weight you lose is mostly fat.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds just walking. I stopped and gained 30 back however.
  • dwinlvnv
    dwinlvnv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started walking in April 2012, as well as managing food intake to around 1200 calories a day using MFP, and have lost 51 pounds. I started out with little trips and now I walk around 2 1/2 miles every morning. A few months ago I added in push ups and ab crunch work as those are my "need toning" areas. My husband and I indulged and purchased a Bodycraft X2 gym; so excited to start using it but I will never give up walking!
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not personally - but a woman my husband knew (worked with her husband) lost about 50 pounds by walking and eating right. She did eventually work her way up to running, but she walked for MONTHS. It's doable :).
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I lost 125 pounds after my Son was born just walking every day for 30 minutes. I got bored and mixed it up a bit but I have a really bad back so all I could do is walk and the weight came right off. I actually wish I had my treadmill back because walking is so much easier on my body than anything else I have tried. I even didn't do inclines, I just leveled my treadmill out with a board so there was no incline and walked everyday. Eventually after my second child and before my twins were born and my treadmill broke I would jog a little bit but still lost a substantial amount of weight just walking. Now I have an Elliptical but it just isn't the same, it is more like riding a bike.
  • jordypooo
    jordypooo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    also, will walking give me a butt? im so apple shaped, its not even funny.
  • SaraRT1983
    Options
    YES!!! Walking (along with tracking your food) is a great way to lose weight!! It has done wonders on me so far. My behind and thighs have gotten much smaller!! LOL!
  • Mporterm
    Options
    Take a walk in the morning and one after dinner
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight walking. With just power walking I have lost over 20 lbs. I am now working some running into the mix. For quite a while I could walk faster than I could jog. If you work on your pace an consistency you will see the weight com off. It's a great way to exercise!

I have done the exact same thing!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Back when I lost 20 pounds I did it with walking only..............and calorie restriction.
  • Pammy820
    Pammy820 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yes...but: the key to losing weight is staying within your calorie goals. The first 25-30 lbs I lost was by tracking calories, staying within my limits and walking. Be careful with the calories MFP says you burn walking, though. I just started using a HRM and every exercise I've tracked is way overestimated in the database.
  • june_warner
    june_warner Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss almost 5 years ago I couldn't do anything but walk (barely). I started walking slow and built my way up to power walking. I lost my first 100#'s by doing that alone. I must say though, it's not just the walking, it's the nutrition! I have since been into alot of lifting and high impact cardio and have lost an additional 82#'s. It is very possible to achieve you weight loss goal!!!
  • caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was actually taking martial arts classes 2 hours a night 4 to 5 nights a week and I didn't lose weight *until* I added walking-- 45 minutes to an hour a day made a massive difference!
  • kms1104
    kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Walking has often been my "start" exercise... i also HAVE lost weight with it... just keep at it. Also, if you're not currently exercising at all, ANY thing will help! Good Luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!