Hcg

Options
A friend of mine lost 20lbs in 15 days on HCG. And she didn't even workout...she barely ate..but says it worth it. She is starting to convince me to try it...opinions please!!

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    you could "barely eat " on any diet and lose weight.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This forum does not permit discussion of hcg because it is such a dangerous, foolish and downright unhealthy way to go about weight loss. Anyone would lose weight starving themselves on 500 calories,of course they would, and they would also regain it back very rapidly as soon as they stopped. It is not sustainable. Think about it.
  • chrissyb1985
    chrissyb1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Extremely unhealthy. If you want lose weight and dont care if its fat or muscle and dont care about health then its ok, but if you want to be healthy and change your lifestyle I dont recommend it. I tried it 2 years ago and wound up with very serious health issues due to the hcg diet
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Same thread in Food & nutrition....

same answer.....

facepalm_zps1acb2e94.jpg
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My mom did it, gained it all back right away, and had SURGERY to remove a growth on her ovaries because of the hcg. Read the fine print about the potential risks.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    After Goggling this I have to say this is total Russian Roulette. There are people with medical supervised or in patient reduced low caloric amounts. That would be the ONLY way to have such a radical diet (addressing only the caloric amounts not HGC )

The HGC stuff is scary ................................
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Why did you feel the need to post this in 2 different message boards. There are sooooo many posts on this subject already and if you did a "search" on the forums you would see that. ...Just saying.
  • Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Because I wanted views from everyone. Maybe some people only look at certain boards. I know I'm not very constant with working out or eat right. But that's why I'm here. Honestly, everything being said here is about the same as I have been telling her. I guess I am really looking for reassurance that this isn't the way from healthy people or people who are trying just as hard if not harder than I am by doing this the right way and the hard way. Not the easy quick fix way.

All opinions are very much appreciated. Thank you.
  • reneewl
    reneewl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are much healthier ways. But. I understand the desperation. I've been there. So, maybe you just need a hug and to hear this: You are too valuable, too important, too precious...to risk harming yourself! You're strong. You can do it in better ways. *hugs*
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    noooooo.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1273782507008
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Shenanigans - if you stick to entering what you are eating and the recommended calories for your weight on this site you will be golden. I'm not a typical woman that "forgets to eat" when stressed out - I'm the opposite and eat like a hog! I'm surprised I made it to this site before hitting 200lbs! (Thank goodness!) I can guarantee you that those folks at Del Taco probably thought I was always ordering for three... lol....

Anyway back to you... if I can go to the grocery store and shop the perimeter instead of the packaged bad stuff, anyone can. Don't resort to stuff like HcG - nothing will get you results other than hard work and sticking with it. You can do it. :)
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Your friend might be losing weight fast by starving on only 500 calories a day, but she is endangering her health, and will most likely regain more weight than she lost.

You can read some expert medical opinions about that diet here:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss
  • atljennifer
    atljennifer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The thing with hcg is that, yes it is extremely low calories, but the injections or drops (depending on how you take it) work to trigger the hypothalamus to release the stored fat in your body and use it as calories...so while you are only consuming 500 calories while on hcg and then 1000 calories when on your breaks (and this increases as you reach your goal and go into maintainence stages) but your body is actually using your stored fat as calories too. So, while this is not for everyone, it is something you should really research for yourself and see if it is a program you can stick to or would even want to try. The best thing is always eating healthy, water water water, and exercise, but I do not criticize anyone for choices that they may feel works for them.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The thing with hcg is that, yes it is extremely low calories, but the injections or drops (depending on how you take it) work to trigger the hypothalamus to release the stored fat in your body and use it as calories...so while you are only consuming 500 calories while on hcg and then 1000 calories when on your breaks (and this increases as you reach your goal and go into maintainence stages) but your body is actually using your stored fat as calories too. So, while this is not for everyone, it is something you should really research for yourself and see if it is a program you can stick to or would even want to try. The best thing is always eating healthy, water water water, and exercise, but I do not criticize anyone for choices that they may feel works for them.

I would like to see the peer-reviewed medical article where you got this information.

Because it just isn't true. Yes, your body is burning fat because you are STARVING it. It will eat whatever it can, including lean muscle mass. So, while you may lose a ton of weight, it's from the low calories only. And, since you consumed a ton of lean mass, your body will have a lower BMR than when you started, restricting the number of calories you can eat to maintain your new loss.

Bottom line: You will seriously *kitten* up your metabolism with this nonsense.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I would like to see the peer-reviewed medical article where you got this information.

Because it just isn't true. Yes, your body is burning fat because you are STARVING it. It will eat whatever it can, including lean muscle mass. So, while you may lose a ton of weight, it's from the low calories only. And, since you consumed a ton of lean mass, your body will have a lower BMR than when you started, restricting the number of calories you can eat to maintain your new loss.

Bottom line: You will seriously *kitten* up your metabolism with this nonsense.

Just to add to this - HCG is not legal for sale as a weight loss supplement in Canada or US. It has not be proven as a weight loss drug. The sale of it is regulated here in Canada by Health Canada. You can have a doctor prescribe it for off label use but the over the counter ones are not really HCG or not legal.
    So a lot of the HcG people buy online and stuff isn't actually HCG. They are simply starving themselves on 500 calories a day. Of course you will lose weight that way.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My husband's entire family did this (big family, about 12 people total although not all made it all the way through). Don't do it, it's not worth it and all but one gained back every pound despite transitioning back to regular eating in exactly the way the "weight loss clinic" told them to do. Side effects included loss of muscle mass, inability to eat sugar afterward, and hair loss. My mother-in-law lost chunks of hair. She kept hers off for a year but only because she kept buying rounds of shots to lose the weight that kept creeping back up.
  • TinkTribe
    TinkTribe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I did HCG back in April of this year and went from 225 to 188 in 2 months. It's an amazing feeling to lose weight, but I am now paying for it because it's been harder for me to lose weight after it. Throughout the whole diet, I was so hungry and it was insane that you had to only eat 500 calories. Of course I lost weight, but my body didn't like how few of calories I was eating. I am now at 201.2 pounds and I have struggled to continue losing. My body is sensitive to certain foods and I gain a pound if I don't eat something healthy right away. I don't recommend this diet to anyone because it truly messes up your metabolism and makes it SO much harder to lose weight. Just eat healthy for a while and see how it works for you. Your friend may have lost weight, but trust me when I say that it's going to be harder for her to lose more once she's not taking HCG anymore. Good luck :)
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine recently died of cancer, and she blamed HCG that it wasn't detected earlier. She believed that she had a tumor already, and that when she took HCG it encouraged the growth of cells (as HCG does naturally when pregnant). In other words, the HCG nurtured the growth of a tumor as if it were a baby. Not to say she would have survived if she hand't taken HCG, but something to think about.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    don't do it...
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Who on earth would want to eat only 500 calories a day? Dumb. I had a friend who did it. She was hungry all the time and it lasted about a week. Her husband also did it and almost passed out during PT one day (he's in the military). Gee... I wonder why they couldn't sustain that "diet"??
This discussion has been closed.