Home Fitness Discussion

Options
Hey everyone. I used to do the whole gym thing, but in the last couple years I've really preferred home fitness. I don't do much standard cardio anymore due to a knee issue, and I have even gotten way better results at home. I get my serious workouts done at home, and save the social aspect of fitness for sports/activities etc. Anyone else prefer home fitness? Why/why not? And if you do, what kind of set up do you have going?

Replies

• Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've done almost everything from home. I started at Curves but that got Expensive!! Since then I find cheap workout dvds at thrift shops and what I really want comes new from Walmart or Amazon.com. But I found some GREAT bargains at thrift shops and yard sale.
    Other things I have:
    Stationary Bike-$10 at thrift shop, works wonderfully
    Total Gym-ok so I bought this new from Kmart since I felt I deserved it, $200 and yes I use it!
    Dumbbells & Bands-At first bought single dumbbells at 5, 8 and 10 pounds but then I got an adjustable one...it only goes up to 20 pounds per dumbbell but I figure when I outgrow them I'll figure something else out (these cost me $20 at Walmart)

I found a used step at a yard sale for $1 for step aerobic dvds
    This is all in my basement. I used to watch my dvds on my laptop for so many years but the volume was annoyingly low, so I treated myself to a nice flat screen 26 inch tv...like $300.

I keep adding to my gym slowly overtime. I just keep finding different dvds at thrift shops to try. I never get bored.
    Right now I am doing Chalean Extreme with my dumbbells, I first found her at a thrift shop in dvds called Turbo Jam. Loved them so looked on Amazon and got the Chalean Extreme (USED) for like $50
    I also usually read reviews before buying something costly & new...

Hope this helps!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I was doing the home gym thing but I do not have enough room for squat rack, additional weights for deadlifts etc, so I joined the gym down the street. So far so good as I am enjoying it..although I hate waiting for the pull up station or other stuff = frustrating!
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I prefer home fitness for convenience and I don't have to pay a gym's fee. I have everything I need at home. I've been working from my house since 2007! So far so good! :smile:
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I prefer home fitness, which I a while ago wanted a gym membership but somewhat glad I didn't. Pro's for home fitness it can be done anytime wearing anything you don't have to impress anyone! if your too hot take your shirt of (I know TMI) I don't feel bad about sweating all over the place. Con's the gym does have some cool machines I can't afford ie the rowing machine.

Work out wise I like to switch it up.. I do Zumba, 30 day shred, Denise Austins ultimate fat burning workout, elliptical, a vibration technology which sounds kinda lame but it feels great on the muscles, improves circulation and try planking on it..it's a work out. I also try and every blue moon do some running around my teeny tiny town.
  • ShallaLovee
    ShallaLovee Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I myself love working out in the comfort of my home. Every few months I buy a new dvd set. I use to go to the gym but having to wait to do something and being uncomfortable gets frustrating and also the expenses. Depending on where you go. I rather buy my dvds and sweat it up at home then go to a gym. I do Zumba at home, I wouldn't mind going back to classes every once in a while but home is good. I do Turbofire at home thats my current workout. I do Zumba on the wii, youtube right now also. Why spend 30-50 or more on the gym when you can pay for a dvd, weights etc and get your total moneys worth. I too get dvds from Walmart like Taebo, dance workouts etc.
  • Nimiko
    Nimiko Posts: 52
    Options
    I like exercising at home because
    a. It saves a ton of money
    b. I can do it it on my time....anytime
    c. I NEVER have to wait for something I want to use
    d. I don't have to deal with all of the attiitude

I have a rowing machine..... dumbbells......and a handful of DVDs. I also do a lot of walking and in the summer I swim and play tennis. Hopefully Santa will bring me a fancy elliptical machine!
  • soumbos
    soumbos Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Lots of home fitness junkies:) Working out at the gym can be good, but I like to just have working out as part of my routine at home. No excuses since I don't have to travel to a gym to work out. Plus I hate the mindset I developed working out at the gym (do a set, talk for a minute or two, rinse, repeat, move on to next station). I'm new to the site. If anyone wants to share home fitness ideas feel free to add me as a friend.