Hopeless.

Options
Nothing is working! I think this is mainly because I'm trying to do it on my own because I'm too embarrassed to talk to anyone about my weight problem. I don't feel like getting out of bed in the morning, I change my outfit 5+ times when getting ready because nothing fits like it should and then avoid mirrors for the rest of the day. This is getting ridiculous, help please!

Replies

• BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This sounds counter intuitive but you should go workout in highly public areas. Eventually youll quit caring what people think.
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well for one you have come to the right place to get help! We are all fighting the same battle here. Be proud of yourself that you are taking the initiative to do something for yourself now instead of living with it for years and then possibly having to deal with the medical consequences of being overweight. You can do it! It won't necessarily be easy all the time, but just modifying a little of your lifestyle can have a huge impact in the end. Good luck on your journey and we are here to support you!
  • LMiller0583
    LMiller0583 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel yea!! I went to put on a bridesmaid dress that I tried on before I purchased it 4 months ago and it doesn't fit!!! I wanted to cry, I yelled at my hubby and hated the world for a while!! I would be more than happy to be your person you can message when you need to vent if you need it!! The wedding is this Saturday and lets pray it fits!!
  • th1nkthin
    Options
    Have you tried keeping a journal of what you are eating? I have started that and it seems to help. I went to a local book store and brought a food journal. Ask a clerk to show you the various types they have in the store. Then choose one that will suite your needs and start tracking what you are eating each day. This is a good way to find out what you are eating and see what is healthy and what isn't and elminate the bad in your diet.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You say that you have tried everything but don't say what you've tried. It's this simple: 1) Just do exactly what MFP tells you to do once you've entered your weight and goals. Track your calories, your protein, fat, carbs and sodium and try not to go over your limits. 2) Most important, be patient! Losing weight takes more time than putting it on.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It would help if you made your diary public. We could advise you on your food and exercise choices that way.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    HUG! it is gonna be okay, YOU are in good company! Deep breath is needed.

There are so many different roads to weight loss and healthy lifestyles.

Start researching! Google.

Best!
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree.^^ Also, what kind of exercise are you doing?
  • catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Keshia,
    You are not alone; we're with you & feel your pain. Try to set just 1 little goal for the day, e.g. no soda pop today, or no refined sugar today, or, setting a positive goal, to drink at least 6 glasses of water, or to eat 5 servings of vegetables today, or to walk 1/2 mile today. Then, pat yourself on the back for accomplishing that one goal. One step at a time, one day at a time.
    Go ahead and buy one item of clothing that fits well today, so you'll feel OK looking in the mirror.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    when you say nothing works, we need to know what you tried, what your diet is like, your BMR etc to provide any help.

dont worry, I used to avoid my reflection before I lost weight, but I still do to a degree. :)
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that it is embarrassing! But you get over it once you see the scale and the inches going down!! I don't know what kinda weight loss your into, but i have lost a combined 104 lbs, so i may be able to help. I lost 54lbs in '10, then got pregnant and gained all of it back, then started to lose again after my son turned 2 months old, so feb '12.. Weight loss to date since Feb, 51 lbs. The first time, done all cardio, taebo and walked 2 milea a night. This time, i have done alot of diffrent stuff, taebo, walking but i started jillianmichaels 30day shred and have lost over 8 inches in 12 days. And my muscle is building. Add me as a grind and i will help u. I recall what it was like for me.. :)
  • wwwisegal
    Options
    Don't give up, Keshia. You'll find what works for you. Have you tried eating just veggies and lean proteins for a month? It takes a month or two to train the body to crave what you're giving it. I hate veggies and am just now (after 6 weeks) starting to enjoy salad. I have a low functioning thyroid (the meds help but not enough) and am going through menopause so losing weight has been extremely hard. Eating primarily veggies has been what's helped me. And drinking a ton of water. Good luck and God bless.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    We've all been right where you are today. I still have days when I put on 5 shirts before I leave the house. MFP has worked beautifully for me. I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months simply by logging all of my food and exercise here. It takes a little time at first, but it gets a lot faster the more you do it. Losing weight doesn't have to be complicated. If you would like to add me as a friend, just shoot me a message. I'm on here every day. Also, open your diary to your friends. I've gotten some great ideas from some of my MFP friends, and they call me on it when I'm eating rubbish - like today. Good luck on your journey! :happy:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I change my outfit 5+ times when getting ready because nothing fits like it should....

This was ME not that long ago. I had SO many clothes because there were all different sizes because one size wasn't looking good so I would buy MORE clothes and the cycle would continue.

Now I admit that there are times when I put on something and it doesn't fit like it should. But now its because its TOO BIG! So it goes in the donation pile and I try something else. That can happen for you as long as you commit yourself to changing your life. Yes...your LIFE. Not a temporary thing that you throw out the window when you lose weight. But something you will stay with for the rest of your life.I thought I was hopeless, too. Then someone told me about MFP and I don't feel hopeless anymore. You shouldn't either. :)
  • Judithness
    Options
    Oh Bob...Your such a MAN!

Hopeless...I feel your pain. I do the same thing! I don't leave the house. I blame it on the car and how I can't 'go anywhere' because I can't afford the GAS PRICES! Truth is, I can't stand the way I look and feel in clothes. Wearing my boyfriends sweatpants with old UGGS is really NOT attractive.

Judith
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Ok, first step : take a deep breath.

I was in practically the same place as you about ten months ago. My doctor said those three little words, "You are obese." My heart sank and I wanted to cry. Then she recommended MFP. It works. For real.

Like you I did not want to tell my friends and family that I'm trying to lose weight because (at least initially) it does seem embarrassing. For me, this changed as soon as I realized that I'm not trying to change myself... I'm trying to be a better, fitter, stronger version of myself. That makes the difference for me.

Still not convinced? That's what MFP is for. I have never a met a single one of my MFP friends... and I feel like I could probably ask them anything. Why would you be embarrassed with people you have never met before and are probably not ever going to met face-to-face? We're all here for the same reason. :happy: