BEGINNER - NEED SOME IDEAS

Options
OK - I'm new to MFP and love the food diary and how it has opened my eyes. I have also logged my exercise which is basically walking (not often enough) and the gazelle - which I do in spurts...not all at once. The problem is just how out of shape I am. I hate to admit it, but I can barely jump up and down during jumping jacks and my knees are bent to touch my toes. I want to get started on something a little more taxing to the body without making myself hate it so bad that after 2-3 days, I give up. Many of the posts talk about the 30DS so some thoughts on Level 1 for a person who has been inactive for way too many years. Right now, it takes a ton of motivation to get me off my butt - it is harder than eating better. I work a desk job all day (and am not alone where I can do deskercise) and when I come home, I'm pooped. I want to get moving but need some good starter ideas other than just walking.

Replies

• tmuellenberg
    tmuellenberg Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing some resistance training as well? What workouts have you tried in the past that you enjoyed?
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    Take short 5 to 10 minute walks during work 2 or 3 a day.... Use the restroom in the building across the street... park at the farthest parking place....

Get friends on here and stay motivated!

You can do this.
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Try the Leslie Sansone workouts. Easy on the joints but still a good workout to begin with.
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics is great and is very easy on your joints. I loved it! You get the resistance from the water, but a really good workout.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before, but hopefully this will encourage you. In April of 2011, we got a treadmill for my husband's birthday. A very nice treadmill, I might add. In November of 2011, I finally made a commitment to begin to use it regularly. While my husband was jogging away for 45 min with a significant incline, I could barely stay on the darn thing for 10 minutes at 2 lousy miles an hour.

Tonight? I had an incline of 2.0, and walked at a brisk-ish pace of 3.7 for a grand total of 5 miles, which takes me about 80 minutes. It took until February for me to stay on that thing for 30 minutes. Finally, I pushed for a full hour and started slowing increasing the incline and the speed.

It just takes time. You didn't get out of shape over night, and you won't get in shape overnight. Since February, I've lost 50 pounds, and exercise definitely gets easier as the pounds are lost.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Walking is great, start small and work your way up.
    (For me it was hard to walk to the end of the driveway
    Now I can go for 5 miles! )
    It takes time but you will feel great!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics is great and is very easy on your joints. I loved it! You get the resistance from the water, but a really good workout.

Swimming is great. It is a great workout and you are less likely to hurt.
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    30DS would be a good start, I finished it last month. You can do the modified exercises to make it a little easier on your joints until you build your way up. I alternated 2 days 30DS, cardio (walking), repeat and rest one day. Don't worry about sticking to a 10 day timeline, move on when you feel comfortable!
  • lustrebass
    lustrebass Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started out really simply - I use the Wii Fit Biggest Loser Challenge game. it has various levels, and will do a fitness analysis for you to help determine where to start.
  • Pamelaniamh
    Pamelaniamh Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    All of the above, great advice, take things slowly and you will get there.

Baby steps will get you there in the end.:smile:
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i do alot of walking but need to change it up a bit, especially with winter around the corner. I did 30DS yesterday for first time. im a little sore today, so i just walked today. i plan to do 30DS again tomorrow. i hear it gets easier each time. its only 20 minutes long so that helps to get thru it. when it got too strenuous, i just took it down a notch, jog in place. its worth a try.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You need to start with some good stretching in the morning. Then jog in place, shake your arms. Get some blood flowing, and let your metabolism know you're awake!
  • ktweld
    ktweld Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think I might try the 30DS alternating with walking (and possibly the Sansone) workouts that I googled. I absolutely love to swim but don't have pool access often and the few gyms here with a pool are too far away or too much money right now. In the summer, I do much better. I have a crazy schedule so I need to often do things at odd times of the day/night. For all of the coaches sending me messages - Thanks but I'm not there yet. and dont' want to hire anyone or commit to anything at this time.
    TY!
  • Bookworm48
    Bookworm48 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All the Leslie Sansone DVDs are good but I love the 4 fast miles. It incorporates short intervals of hi-intensity work. At first I could barely get through 1 mile. Now I can do the entire thing without thinking about it. I'm only down 5 pounds since joining but lost an additional 15 pounds before I heard about this site. Good luck.