New Diagnosis

Options
Just diagnosed with Insulin Resistance. Not diabetic, A1c only 5.4, Triglycerites are high, fasting insulin high, HDL too low. Doctor wants me to follow a low carb diet (carbs mainly coming from veggies). Help is anyone out there in a similar situation?

Replies

• Kim1731
    Kim1731 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello, anyone out there to talk to about insulin resistance?
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I was diagnosed years ago and was recommended a low carb diet. I lost 97lbs rather quickly. My cholesterol is normal now. I am still overweight though. My starting weight was over 300lbs and I am now 226lbs(at my lowest I was 207lbs). I kind of fell off the wagon for a bit but am slowly getting back on track.

I do have to really watch carbs but also have to watch calories too now. At first I never counted calories and still lost weight dramatically but then I stalled out.

The low carb diet reallllllly changed my life. I never had regular periods(wasn't ovulating) and they came back reguar as can be less than a month into starting and have been totally normal ever since.

I have been able to manage my condition with diet alone and am not on any medications(like metformin).

Good luck to you!! It can be a frustrating issue to deal with. It took until I was in my mid 30s to finally figure out what the heck was wrong with me
  • abdavison1
    Options
    I was diagnosed with insulin resistance as well, probably when I was 27 or 28. I was in denial for a while about my weight. Please educate yourself about food, calories, exercise, etc. axialmeow is right. Low carb is the way to go, however, I do count calories. You can have carbs, but choose whole grain and carbs from vegetables (not potatoes or corn). I exercise, count calories, limit carbs and sweets. I have lost 33 pounds since April of this year. No fad diets, no pills, no surgeries. It took me a long time to figure a lot of things out. I don't want to be overweight anymore and I don't want to become a diabetic. Listen to your doctor and enlist his/her help. I do take glumetza, but my sugar is in normal range as of last visit and am looking forward to what it will be with my current weight loss. The metformin helped me get weight off but made me sick as a dog. Also, see if your doctor's office offers any nutrional counseling. Please listen to them and do what they ask. Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions :)
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    I just had fasting blood tests done on friday, I will get the results back on Monday. I will not be surprised to have bad results as up until I joined here, my diet was just one junk food binge after another so I will be coming back to this topic I bet.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistant diabetes as well. I was diagnosed when I was 28 yrs. old. Since losing weight I was able to get off insulin and one of my oral diabetic meds. Also, I was able to get off one of my blood pressure meds. You need to follow a low carb, low fat diet. I am on a high protein diet and have to take vitamin supplements due to having malabsorption problems. Please feel free to add me for support and encouragement. My name is Kimberlee, 49.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Go here -- http://www.marksdailyapple.com

Best decision I ever made. 125 gone in less than a year and my blood work is near perfect now.
  • Kim1731
    Kim1731 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    wftiger, you bring hope and inspiration for us all. I'm heading to the website to see what it has to tell me.