Unmotivated friend

Options
OK so about 3 weeks ago my friend asked if we could go running together so I could help him get in shape. He is 22 years old 5'8 and 240lbs. We started running around the neighborhood and one week we did really well running 4 days straight in a row. He was starting to show improvement but now he says he doesnt care anymore and has lost motivation. What can I do to re-motivate him. I want to see him succeed. And no this isnt one of those times where I ask about a friend and its really me :P aaha

Replies

• stephanie1133
    Options
    You just have to let it go. You can't want it for him unfortunately. Losing weight is a very personal thing, if he isn't ready he isn't ready. Sounds like you are a good friend and have his best interest at heart, but there's no much you can do.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Can bring a horse to water, but can't make him drink.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    His motivation has to come from within. You can be supportive, but you cannot make him want to change.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it's his choice.

Try other things. Racketball? Tennis? Bike? Rollerblade? Maybe running isn't his thing.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Get him into lifting. 5'8 240...running is not something to do four days in a row, or in a week.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Get him into lifting. 5'8 240...running is not something to do four days in a row, or in a week.

I agree. He's probably getting bored and not thinking of all the other great ways to get in shape. Keep after him. Just because he gave up on himself doesn't mean you should. I would keep suggesting different things and give him a little push. The worst that can happen is he gets tired of hearing from you. But at least you've tried.
  • jackjamma
    jackjamma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks you gave me some good ideas