Hair Loss

Options
I am a 48 year old female and have lost 51 pounds since April. I use to have really thick naturally curly long hair. Around June I started loosing my hair. I have lost about half of my hair now and it continues to fall out. The only thing I have changed is reducing my caloric intake to 1200 and walking every day. I eat a pretty well balance diet and I take a multi vitamin. If this continues, I will be bald in six months! Anyone else experience hair loss? Any suggestions other then buying a wig?

Replies

• lovingvampiress
    lovingvampiress Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Currently taking a weight loss class for surgery and the diatician told us if we don't get enough protein a day we would start loosing our hair, We drink protein drinks 27 grams 2x a day. U can have this as a meal with a piece of fruit or as a snack...Hope this helps ya.......
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss =) As for the hair I'm going to refer you to the dr oz website; which explains some possible reasons as to why you are losing your hair.

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/jodi-sawyer-rn/why-my-hair-falling-out

I hope this will be helpful information to you. :flowerforyou:
  • kandi_apples
    kandi_apples Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Mine started falling out when I lost 60 lbs. it's still falling out 2 years later. I was told that I wasn't eating enough fats. The falling out has slowed down but my hair is much thinner, like half, of what it was before. Eat healthy and the falling out should slow down.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Protein.

As the lovingvampire said, if you don't get enough protein, you stop making hair. The body has to cut somewhere and hair is a lower priority than things like heart muscle.

My wife experienced quite a bit of hair loss for the first few months after her WLS, until she was able to routinely get sufficient protein.

Can't see your diary...but lack of protein is a good guess.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am a 48 year old female and have lost 51 pounds since April. I use to have really thick naturally curly long hair. Around June I started loosing my hair. I have lost about half of my hair now and it continues to fall out. The only thing I have changed is reducing my caloric intake to 1200 and walking every day. I eat a pretty well balance diet and I take a multi vitamin. If this continues, I will be bald in six months! Anyone else experience hair loss? Any suggestions other then buying a wig?

Fat and protein. When I was on Weight Watchers, I didn't eat enough fat or protein, and the result was a lot of hair loss. This time, I'm eating more protein and fat and not losing much.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    See your doctor, get checked for any potential underlying causes.