pesco-vegetarianism anyone out there?

Options
:love: Just wondering if there are any others out there?

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I'm also lacto/ovo.
    I always just tell people I'm a vegetarian to make it easier, lol.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian, although I eat seafood very seldom. :flowerforyou:
  • spomaney
    spomaney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    well i was...up until that day i ate that bacon cheesburger lol. its a great lifestyle since im not a big meat eater anyways and im thinking about giving it another try, but i have to not give in to the cheeseburger anymore lol
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm pesco-lacto-ovo as well! I find that I am usually low in protein and high in carbs. Do others have this problem as well?
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I find myself mostly lacto-ovo but i do like the ocassional fish or other seafood!
    I am usually over my protien though:flowerforyou:
    thanks for sharing all,
    would you like to also share a recepie or one of your favorite foods
  • McFatterton
    Options
    would you like to also share a recepie or one of your favorite foods

Sure! I love sharing and getting new recipes. This is what I'm having for dinner tonight, it's from eatbetteramerica.com:

"Healthified Linguine Alfredo"

8 oz uncooked Whole Wheat Linguine
    1 cup 2% milk
    .5 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
    1/8 tsp. Salt
    Dash pepper
    Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 tbsp butter
    1 tsp finely chopped garlic
    2 oz 1/3 less-fat cream cheese
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese

Optional ingredients:
    chopped fresh parsely
    steamed veggies (ex. broccoli, carrots, asparagus, etc.)

Directions
    1. Cook linguine as directed on package, omitting salt. Drain; return to saucepan. Cover to keep warm and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir milk, flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne with wire whisk until smooth. In 2-quart saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly (do not burn). With wire whisk, stir milk mixture into butter in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens & boils.

3. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Stir in parmesan cheese until melted. Pour over linguine and steamed veggies (if using); toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley and serve!

Makes 4 servings

It's supposed to be Fettucine Alfredo, but I use linguine because I couldn't find whole wheat fettucine. It's SOOOOO good!

Here's the nutrition info:

Calories 303.2
    Total Fat 9.9 g
    Saturated Fat 5.7 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.8 g
    Cholesterol 27.5 mg
    Sodium 237.3 mg
    Potassium 11.7 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 46.1 g
    Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
    Sugars 4.1 g
    Protein 11.7 g
    Vitamin C 0.6 %
    Calcium 15.7 %
    Iron 10.8 %
    Vitamin A 5.3%
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    Hi! I just joined and have been pescetarian for about a month and a half. I was a pescetarian throughout college, added meat back into my diet through grad school, and finally have realized my body feels so much eating this way. My husband does eat meat, but doesn't mind eating pescetarian while at home as long as we find great recipes! :) I'm happy to say it hasn't negativley affected any muscle gain or fitness goals either, but rather enhanced them!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm pescatarian and didn't know it. I generally dislike "turf" as I call it but love "surf". Occasionally I will desire to eat some turf meat but in general, I could probably live the rest of my life without it and not feel deprived. Too much red meat (i.e. steak two nights in a row) makes me feel sick to my stomach and I cannot eat it. My body doesn't like turf meat but loves surf. It's an oddity I enjoy. However, I'm not a great cook so most of my meals at home are vegetarian based (with veggie burgers and the like).
  • McFatterton
    Options
    I posted this last night under the Recipes, but wanted to share it with my pescetarian friends :wink: . I made it for dinner last night and it was soooo good, filling and spicy.

Spicy Vegetable Soup

1 medium red bell pepper
    1 medium onion
    1 can petite diced tomatoes w/ no salt added
    1 cup packed fresh cilantro
    1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
    1 large red potato, diced (about 1 cup)
    2 medium zucchini or yellow squash, diced (3 cups)
    1 carton (32 oz) vegetable broth
    1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed and soaked to remove excess salt

Directions
    1. Preheat broiler. Chop bell pepper and onion into 2-in pieces. Place ont sheet pan, spray with oil and broil 5-7 minutes or until lightly charred and soft. Place roasted veggies, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic & chipotle pepper into blender and blend until smooth.

2. Dice potato & zucchini into 1/2 inch cubes. Place potato and broth into a deep pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook 6-10 minutes or until the potato begins to soften. Add roasted vegetable mixtrue and cook until the potato is tender. Add zucchini and beans, cooking until zucchini is tender. Serve.

Makes 6 servings

Nutrition info:
    Calories 120.8
    Total Fat 0.8 g
    Saturated Fat 0.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 404.6 mg
    Potassium 287.6 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
    Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
    Sugars 3.3 g
    Protein 5.5 g
    Vitamin A 25.3 %
    Vitamin C 82.0 %
    Calcium 4.4 %
    Iron 13.3 %
  • sln2789
    sln2789 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also pescatarian. I subscribe to Vegetarian Times and they have a lot of great recipes. I just made the Smoky Split Pea Soup (which sounded scary at first) and it was amazing. I also find a lot of recipes at Cooking Light. Even if they call for meat, I will leave it out or use a meat substitute (like Boca or Quorn).
  • sjpace
    Options
    Ive been a pesca for over half of my life. I have tried to give up all animals, but I just couldnt get the right amount of protein and I was feeling it! I try to incorporate a lot of low fat dairy, milk with dinner, yogurt for a snack, in order to reach my protein needs. Smoothies with whey protein have really helped me as well.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm no longer vegetarian, but I don't eat mammals (no gelatin, no rennet, etc.), and haven't for 3 or 4 years. I added chicken and turkey back to my diet a while back, but I'm not overly thrilled about eating it.