Frustrated!

Options
Ok so I'm very frustrated because I feel like I go two steps forward and three steps back. I was able to get down15lbs before xmas and then I had a bunch of personal issues ( I'm Bi-polar) went back on meds and gained all the weight back and an additional 5 pounds.. so up 20lbs. I think the medication is a HUGE part of my problem because now I am having a very hard time just dropping one or two pounds, but I dont want to change my meds again just to get a little smaller. I am working on Cardio about 4 sometimes 5 times a week for 30+ minutes. I dont have a gym membership but I'm doing yardwork, doing cleaning, roller blading etc to keep active. Does anyone have any ideas to help me get my butt moving? Atm I dont think my husband would go for spending money on going to work out classes or anything like that and I"m not working atm, my own choice so I'm at a loss of what to do.
Thanks for reading my rant everyone ;P
Brittany

Replies

• crystalwelchbailey
    Options
    i would love to offer you some advice that would 100% work but i just dont have that, but what i can say is that if you just keep trying and keep going that it will eventually pay off, just dont give up!!!!
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Keep your chin up and keep trying. I can honestly say from personal experience that its the meds. At one point due to a certain situation I was consuming maybe 600 cal a day if I was lucky, but then the bi-polar meds I was on changed and all of a sudden I started packing on the weight like crazy. Even at 600 calories a day. I was doing 200-300 crunches a day, push-ups, leg stuff, and more but the weight just kept coming.

Unfortunately, its one of the downfalls they have yet to fix with meds like these. I can say though stay active, walk as much as you can, and just keep moving. That helps the most out of anything with these things. Eventually your body will become used to them and -even out- so to speak, then the weight will start coming back off.

Just be patient and keep your chin up. :)
  • gailwyn
    Options
    Keep your chin up! Have you tried looking at your local library to see if they have any work-out videos there? A lot of them do, which would be a cheap way to find some new exercise routines.
  • chicynth
    chicynth Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am not bi--polar, but take a series of medications for other medical issues. I know that I began to gain weight, as a result of the meds because my habits had not changed. But then I got so depressed about the weight gain...I stopped exercising altogether.

I even stopped coming on this site.

Well, I determined to lose the weight at the end of last year because I have my 50th birthday in April and I didn't want to be wearing this weight. I began doing some light exercise and cut out all sweets.

I lost (total and before coming back to MFP) 32lbs. I still have a ways to go but I am now back in charge. The weight loss is gradual and that is a good thing because I believe that when I lose it, it will not be difficult to maintain the loss because I am doing it in a healthy way.

It has been a combination of things (for me: it includes prayer and a bible study that I attend called 1st Place 4 Health every week with other women wanting to lose weight and or maintaine their weight).

I changed the way I eat...how much I eat (of course) and cut out sweets, along with many processed foods. The biggest change has been that...I EAT! I use to think the less I ate the easier it would be to lose weight...WRONG! I am now exercising again and my husband walks with me in the evenings. I have been losing at a rate of about 1-2 lbs per week, so far. That's what has been working for me...Best regards!
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from depression (which i do understand is very different from bi-polar) the best thing for it is exercise, maybe setting a regular exercise time in your day (if you not working that should be possible) I know with depression that regular time helps the body cope with what goes on in the head! I like to cycle second hand bikes can be really cheap and walking/jogging is free!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    At the top of the General Diet and Weight Loss Help message board are a bunch of links to posts that contain a great deal of information about what works and what doesn't in weight loss. I highly recommend reading through those. And this one is one of the best.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing