obsessive use of the bathroom scales

Options
Hey recently joined and wondered if anyone on this site also has an obsession with the bathroom scales I weigh myself around 5 times a day. I recently invested in a nutritionist to help me with my unhealthy relationship with food and she recommended that the scales are a huge problem and need to go! So they are on a vacation for two weeks and im already finding it difficult two days in. Does anyone else have this difficulty and even better if someone has broken the cycle??

Replies

• carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use to. I just had to tell myself to stop. I would go, look at the scale and then tell myself, no I'm better than that.
    I love what these girls did with their scale. It might help you.

http://pinterest.com/pin/195695546278164617/

http://pinterest.com/pin/162833342747523148/

Hope this helps. Feel free to add me. I'd love to help support you.
  • ceejay1982
    Options
    I struggle my friend has taken them away and now I feel extremely paranoid and lost without them. How go I add people only logged on an hour ago and finding my feet.
    Thanks
  • carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Click on their profile(or picture) and there should be a button on the profile saying add as friend or something of the sort. When you get someone adding you there will be a number next to the little person on the top of the screen above the tabs.

Hope this helps.

OH! I almost forgot. WELCOME!
  • SAbreu83
    Options
    I can relate to that syndrome... but understood I follow a patter - I weight myself in the mornings, just before breakfast and when i get home from work. Those are the 2 times I cannot avoid getting myself on my bathroom scale. I managed to kill all the obsessive weighting besides these 2 times. It might be still considered obsessive behavior, but it doesn't bother me anymore since I committed to stick to these 2 times a day. Good luck!
  • reneewl
    reneewl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yep! I weigh every time anything goes in my mouth. :-) But, I'm happy with my obsession and it lets me see how my body responds to things, so I really don't worry about it.
  • ceejay1982
    Options
    sorry for delayed reply. I am gathering from the time differencemost of U guys are from around the USA area!

Renewal that's a really positive way of looking at it. Unfortunately I am criticized for it so it makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. I can't wait to get my scales back. I like weighing myself too =) thanks
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself probably rather too often, every morning that I'm at home (at my partner's place his scales are inaccurate in the upwards direction so I don't use them :P) and often out of curiosity in the evening as well.

But, and I think it's an important but, I don't put much value on the results of that weighing. I mean obviously I don't like going up in weight but I'll accept it might be water weight or whatever and use it as a way of keeping an eye on the overall trend and making sure it doesn't go too high up. I only log my weight on here once a week :)
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself multiples times a day but it gets in the way of life.

i now weigh myself every morning and thats much better.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's only a problem if it massively affects your mood if you see a little fluctuation upwards. If you are just interested in how your weight fluctuates over the day and just like doing it, I don't really see the problem. The dangerous thing would be if a couple pound's gain sent you into a bad mood and then comfort eating or other negative behaviours to cope with it.

I'm a little OCD about most things so I also weigh myself several times a day...
  • BrockNRoll
    BrockNRoll Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself twice a day, morning and evening. This is what I have to do to keep myself in check. I don't want to get to the end of a week and find out that I've gained a pound or more because something that I'm doing or eating isn't working for my body. I think that daily monitoring is healthy as long as you don't allow it to control your mood. It can be very discouraging to gain an ounce or two from one day to the next, but it makes me work harder the next day to get it back off and stay on track.