New Beginner Runner

Options
Does anyone have any tips on becoming a runner? I have never been a runner nor active. I want to start running. The last time I attempted, my shins started burning after 1 minute and I got very tired, so I continued to walk.

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of couch to 5k (C25K) training plans you can find on the internet. But if you already hurt after a minute of running you might benefit more from starting by walking. Say you want to run 3 times a week for half an hour (which is a good point for a beginner to aim at), start with walking that 30 minutes 3 times a week. When that feels fine slowly add in some minutes of running. Say, walk for 4 minutes, run for 1 minute. If you feel that goes OK that's the time you start with the C25K training plans.

Just remember that it does take some time, your body needs to get used to the exercise, bones grow stronger as do muscles, ligaments and basically everything else. Your stamina needs to build as well. That's why I recommend 3 times a week, that gives you enough stress on your body to improve over the weeks, without overdoing it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good start.

The key to succeeding at anything is consistency and perseverance. When I started to run I could barely get around the block, I'll be running my 4th half marathon next January and am registered for a marathon next May; if I can do it just about anyone can.

Start gently and progress slowly (especially at first as you body needs to make a lot of adaptations). I stared off with running (very slowly) 1 minute and walking 10, the running 2 minute & walking 9 etc until I could run for the full 10 minutes and then gradually built up from there. (If you haven't already get yourself a good pair of runners - a trip to a running specialty shop would be your best bet)

Get out and run 3 or 4 times per week (every 2nd day) and cross train / rest on non-running days (cross training can be anything low impact - walking, biking, swimming, strength).

Keep in mind that most running injuries are caused by trying to do too much, too soon, too fast.

Keep at it and you will amaze yourself.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've literally just started the C25K this week. I've never been a runner, and wanted to do something other than cycling. I downloaded a C25K programme from itunes via the NHS website. I've managed to do the week 1 twice now, and am still finding it hard by the end of the time.

The whole programme lasts 9 weeks, and by the end of it you should be able to run 5k. I'm finding it hard as I've never really liked running, but I've done week 1 twice now. However I don't feel ready to move onto week 2 yet, so I'm thinking I might do week 1 twice so I'll have done it 6 times before I move on. I guess it's all about judging how your body is coping, and do what feels right to you.

If you're hurting after a minute of running it might be an idea as the person above said and start walking the route and take it slowly.

Feel free to add me if you want. :smile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here are my beginner's running tips, some of these might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Bear in mind point 1:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

Here's a link to C25K in it's simplest form:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Apps, podcasts and stuff here:
    http://www.c25k.com/

Most of all, enjoy it! If you're not enjoying it, find a way to do it that's fun, and if all else fails, this isn't school and running isn't compulsory!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I started running in April, and I suffered from sore shins also. Take it slow. The C25K plan is great. When you're done running, make sure you stretch well. Use lots of ice on your shins. And I highly recommend investing in a foam roller or "The Stick". If they start to burn during your run, if it's not terrible, try to run through it. If it's actual pain, stop running and stretch, then walk the rest of the way.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    However I don't feel ready to move onto week 2 yet, so I'm thinking I might do week 1 twice so I'll have done it 6 times before I move on.

I've just started week 2. I was nervous too, but so surprised and pleased when i could do it :) i think it's important to know the difference between pushing yourself, when it's hard, and hurting yourself.

Running tips.....well, i'm not much of a runner, but i am loving couch to 5k. eat some carbs about half an hour before you run - i usually go with a banana, and plan for some protein when you get back, i usually have scrambled eggs on an english muffin.

stay hydrated

honour your rest days

do not simp on sleep

don't compare yourself to others - go at a pace, elevation and distance that are comfortable for you

find what works best for you. personally i lvoe running outside in the fresh air, others prefer the treadmil

try to breathe through your nose, it'll hurt your lungs less

try to run toes first - don't land heavey onyour heels, it will hurt your knees
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and definatley stretch. My muscles killed after week 1 - i had about 8lbs of water retention from them trying to repair themselves. pushed thorugh it, in week 2 now, love it!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! I started about 6 weeks ago ran my first 5K in 31:19! I have registered for one race a month - so that helps keep met motivated. I use this to find upcoming races:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-239-0-0-0,00.html

And also on that site is a nifty app where you can input weather data and it will tell you what to wear:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

Good luck!
  • kellychew
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Couch to 5K. I started using it in July and I am now running 5K three times a week.
  • lreyenga
    Options
    I read the book the Chi of Running and it was super helpful. It talks about form for running so you don't hurt your knees/shins/hips/feet/self while doing it and how to work up from walking to jogging to running.

I also find using a heart rate monitor has really helped me learn to keep a healthy exercise pace so I can keep exercising every day. If they HRM says I"m working to hard, I stop and walk for a bit, no killing myself required. :)
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Alot of people will advocate C25K (Couch to 5K) and so will I :)

9 Week programme that gets you running steady 1 minute intervals to eventually running a 5K doing half hour sessions a week. I did it and now lost over 80 pound running. I love the feeling of running, the freedom and the achievment.

Few tips though:

Get some decent running shoes, this will help with shin splint and most other running related problems people get.

Take it slow when running, your first outing is not to be at 4 minute miles. This programme gets you running, speed can be worked on once you have the endurance.

Enjoy it! I love running!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Always pay attention to the kind of pain that means you are hurting yourself, and it may take time to figure out the difference, but you should know that any sort of intense exercise like this isn't easy for anyone. You will feel your muscles burn and you will get tired. That's kind of the idea.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sorry this will get winded....

Well I will second on the C25k program (now there is an app for smartphones too!)

The C25k is all about SLOWLY working your endurance up. I am currently in the 280s/5ft11in and I am on week 4 out of 8. I love it so much I got my boyfriend hooked as well. I NEVER considered myself a runner due to my weight and ankle issues.

What happens most of the time (and I am guilty of this too) is that we push WAY too hard way too soon. Mentally "we can do this!!!" and our bodies say "like h*ll we can, wtf are you thinking!?!"

And then we hurt or get injured and we don't want to ever do it again...

I use the Phone app C25K from Zenlabs and week 1 day 1 (note: only 3 workout/week approx 30mins):

"""brisk 5 minute walk for warm up. Alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 second of walking (total:20 minutes) 5 minute walking cool down.""""

(this app and others like it give you audio props when yo run/walk and often have a place where you can load a playlist in. It will dim the music down to the cue) So just listen to the voice in your head...errrm headphones ;)

The cool thing is you can repeat days/weeks anytime you want until you think you are ready to progress.

Also other runners have told me your jogging pace should be comfortable/slow enough to hold a convo with someone jogging beside you. So running doesn't always equal "sprinting like a drunk gazelle". As you progress in the program you become aware of your stride and will discover that sweet spot where you just get into the zone and Go...

However, yes- you will get some leg pain. I have had side shin and calf pain but nothing that can't be walked off. Its all about the muscles micro tearing and rebuilding.

I have noticed a few things since getting to the halfway point:
    1) heart rate isn't all over the place and it takes less time during a walk rep to slow it down.
    2) My ankles are stronger but I still need to improve footstrike (genetic defect)
    3) Using a strap HRM- I burn roughly 450-530cals a workout.
    4) Stairs are work are MUCH nicer to me :)

Also...if you can fork over the money... go to an ACTUAL running shop (not academy/Nike/walmart) and get fitted for shoes. Not kidding- they will watch you walk and see how your feet strike the floor and bring out the shoes that fit.
    I have a severe defect in my left ankle making jogging painful because I strike on the outside under my ankle (think my weight impact that small space! Yeowch!) Investing in the $110 in actual shoes that suppported and corrected my strike was a Godsend!

Also you can find some more info at runnersworld.com in their forums. I'm a running addict now.

Sorry for the long post!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Start slow.

When think you can't go any slower, slow down.

That is the best advice I have gotten. Don't over do it.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to run! First thing, if you are serious, you need to make sure that you have the right shoes. Go to a running store (not a big box store) and have them fit you for running shoes. They will watch the way that you run and will put you in several different shoes to see what ones you like the best. These shoes will help keep you feet, ankles, shins, knees, hips, and back.

Secondly, use the C25K program. I didn't use it but I know people that have and they love it! It'll start you out slow and build up your endurance. Ice and ibuprofin works great on shins and other aches and pains.

Feel free to add me as a friend! Good luck, you will do great!
  • MariAOK
    MariAOK Posts: 38
    Options
    I am on the 2nd time of Week 2 on the C25K Zen app for the IPhone. I love it so far. I also just read a great article on Active.com. It gives pretty much all the info everyone else has posted on here. I am hoping to have enough money for some new shoes soon. Hope all the info will help.

http://www.active.com/running/articles/running-to-lose-weight.htm
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I did c25k twice, once on treadmills in March, when I weighed about 220lbs, and again this summer, outside (end of July) at about 205lbs.
    I'm now 194lbs and I can run 5k in 36mins outdoors. If you'd told me this in March, I would have laughed in your face.
    I'm gonna try and get faster as I get lighter :)
  • Italian_mom
    Italian_mom Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Agree with the C25K! Finished it last Friday, and am planning to sign up for a 5k in November!! Good luck!!
  • klamarius
    Options
    Definitely try out C25K! I am in my 7th week and I LOVE it. I have never been a runner and C25K takes it very slow - alternating between jogging and walking at first - and then working up until there is no walking, only jogging/running and you can run a 5k. It's all at your own pace, too. It's a wonderful program!! And it doesn't matter how fast or slow you go, just that you do it! Also, for shin splints/pain, there are quite a few exercises/stretches you can do - here is a website that I came across - http://www.buzzle.com/articles/stretches-for-shin-splints.html
    Got a lot of great advice. Good luck!! :happy: