Exercising when you're sick, yea or nay?

Options
I've seen conflicting advice on this topic, so I wanted to get the opinions of the MFP community.

I'm in the beginning stages of a cold and generally feeling achy, yet when I went to the gym last night I felt fantastic. I lifted weights for 45 minutes, ran for 30 and went to Zumba class for 45, and it was the best 2 hours of my whole day. Plus the workout helped me fall asleep instantly, which never happens when I'm sick.

My question is, should I be giving my body a rest? Or is it more beneficial to exercise/exorcise out the demons that are inhabiting my body?

(and in case you're worried about me spreading my germs around the gym, I wiped down everything I touched)

Discuss.

Replies

• Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I always work out with a cold, and I find exercise helps. If a cold were to move to my chest, then I would not work out.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    General rule is...If its above the neck continue to exercise, below the neck and you need to rest up.

So if you have a head cold carry on, knock it down a notch if needed but if it has gone to your chest you need to rest and recuperate.
  • Cassie8877
    Options
    I just came down with a cold myself and read into this.. and from what i read you SHOULD NOT.. work out due to the fact that your body is working over time to kill the virus and when you work out you change your bodies role from killing the virus to working your muscles so in turn the virus gets worse..

But this is just what i read could be true or false i have no idea.. I am no doctor.. but if i were you i would ask.. I know it sucks for me to not work out right now.. but i rather get better...

http://www.myyogaonline.com/community/blog/yoga-and-your-immune-system-
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    "SWEAT IT OUT!", I always say :wink:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, i do.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I notice that I'm coming down with a cold in the very beggining, working out (intense cardio) helps me to prevent it.
    I guess it might be that cardio rise your body temeprature just like fever, so the bacteria responsible for cold get killed...

But once I have fever its a no no
  • FirefitMike
    FirefitMike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    "SWEAT IT OUT!", I always say :wink:

Unless you have a fever.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I try to push through unless I'm feeling dizzy/lightheaded (more like a flu than a cold) or if I'm really congested and have a hard time breathing. I totally agree that exercise makes me feel better after and helps me sleep too!
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Any time I have a plain ol' cold I work out. Maybe lifting is a bit much since you need recovery time and the bod is fighting a cold. But- the truth in my world is a good sweating bought of cardio always makes me feel like Ive flushed the cold out and I get well quicker.

I am talking about a simple run of the mill cold and you have to be honest about how sick you are. I probably would take a break if it was in my chest or in some other way slowing me down to a crawl.
  • Tdaughtersmom
    Tdaughtersmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I hear that if there is no fever, it's best to work it out, work up a good sweat. If you have asthma issues, be careful with breathing through the 'gunk'.

Sweat is a great toxin remover for our bodies.

Drink even more water than you did before the cold started.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    I will get over the worst with a chest cold but then I will work out and force my lungs to work and get everything out of there! If I waited for a chest cold to be healed it would take 3 or more weeks. I also have an auto immune disease so my weakened immune system means I'm nearly ALWAYS sick and I'm done using that as an excuse for my obesity...
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    General rule is...If its above the neck continue to exercise, below the neck and you need to rest up.

So if you have a head cold carry on, knock it down a notch if needed but if it has gone to your chest you need to rest and recuperate.

This is pretty much what I do. Since running is my main exercise and snot rockets outdoors help clear the nose, I'm glad to do so. I won't do speedwork or really long runs with a cold, however. The gym I'm more careful about as I don't want to spread my germs around.
  • samlankford
    Options
    If you have a fever do not exercise, if you suffering with a stomach bug I would not workout either.. but if it is just a runny nose then I would go for it... lol just jam some tissues up your nose and go for it!!
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for now it's just a regular head cold, no fever. So I'll ask my doctor, but if she gives me the green light I'll plan to continue on my regular workout routine, at least until my cold progresses.

Thanks for your input!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Ha! I was in your boat last week and had about the same responses. My issue was mostly concern that my lymph nodes were super swollen. Went to the doc... turns out I had allergies. So obviously I can work out again!

However, in the week off I took prior to this appointment, thinking I was sick, I lost 1-2lbs, let my muscles repair tons, and tackled my weight lifting like it was nothing.

So, while many say you can still push through (and obviously I don't know your routines), I think I actually made substantial health gains by letting my body rest for that long (particularly when it was fighting something... just not a virus, but whatever allergens I must have an issue with).
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    IMHO, if i feel up to it, i would do some exercising. but if i can't even get outta bed, then forget it. i have 2 dogs that need to be walked 2 times a day, every day. so, i need to do that. otherwise, if i have the energy i will do some exercising. i am not into pushing myself to do something if my heart and energy aren't into it.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sure. Why not?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I exercise through it, unless i'm vomitting, in which case, I don't.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I've seen conflicting advice on this topic, so I wanted to get the opinions of the MFP community.

I'm in the beginning stages of a cold and generally feeling achy, yet when I went to the gym last night I felt fantastic. I lifted weights for 45 minutes, ran for 30 and went to Zumba class for 45, and it was the best 2 hours of my whole day. Plus the workout helped me fall asleep instantly, which never happens when I'm sick.

My question is, should I be giving my body a rest? Or is it more beneficial to exercise/exorcise out the demons that are inhabiting my body?

(and in case you're worried about me spreading my germs around the gym, I wiped down everything I touched)

Discuss.

depends on if your contagious or not. **Wiping down equipment doesn't in any way ensure other people don't get sick. You have no control of where your germs go when you're in a zumba class. that bottle you use to spritz down a towel? yeah. germ central. It's not too difficult to get a heavy cardio work out done at home. especially if you're already familiar with zumba

when I'm sick, I recuperate much faster if I don't go to the gym.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Sitting here with a pretty nasty head cold.

I didnt work out last night. I also fell asleep at 8pm and slept until 6am so thinking I needed to rest. But I have my stuff packed for today. I figure if I cant run my miles today, I can at least walk them. And then crawl in to bed, lol