exercise before or after eating?

Options
If you are going to do moderate exercise first thing in the morning, is it best to eat before you exercise? (Fuel the burn; burn the calories) Or after? (get metabolism up and burning, burns fat, etc.) You hear so much conflicting information.

Does the type of exercise determine if it's better to eat before or after?
Does the duration of the exercise session determine before or after?

Thanks to anyone who is knowledgable.

Replies

• Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Whatever suits you best...

It's not going to make a difference if you train fasted or not
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    Based on all the conflicting info I would say it is up to the individual - but I am by no means knowledgeable.

I've been running in the mornings for ages and never eat beforehand. I notice I'm sluggish if I haven't had enough to drink the day before though.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference either way.

Personally, I don't eat before exercise as it makes me feel sick, but it wouldn't affect your weight loss.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matters, I find if I'm doing 20mins running or on the stationary bike then I dont eat before but when I'm cycling to work I need the extra energy to make it all the way. Entirely up to you though. x
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I ran this morning without breakfast - as a total change to my routine, and the only way I could fit a run in today. I don't think it was any harder than usual, given that I'm a newbie to the whole fitness thing. And the initial reluctance I put down to the fact that I should have still had another 30 mins to lie in bed, not be up and running at that time...!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have literally read the same amount of research on both. Some say your body functions better with ANYTHING in it pre-workout. Some say you are more likely to burn fat training fasted.

The most important thing is--doing either thing won't HINDER you. You'll still be working to optimum fitness if you exercise. Eating or not eating before will be what makes you do it better, pretty much.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is personal preference. I probably wouldn't embark on a long-distance run or bike ride without having eaten something, but a short run or short workout isn't too bad.

Personally I prefer to have something small--half a banana or a granola bar--to get my blood sugar up a little if I'm running first thing in the morning, but I am loathe to have something big and heavy sitting in my stomach when I work out. I tend to be more of an afternoon exerciser if I can help it though (couple of hours after lunch).
  • miccon
    miccon Posts: 5
    Options
    If you are doing cardio and the duration is under an hour you can do it on an empty stomach upon waking. If the session approaches an hour or goes over you need some nutrition before. If its weight lifting you need something in your stomach about an hour before. Something small-- a whey protein shake, etc..
  • bigknight78
    Options
    I think it is down to personal preference. I usually train in the evenings, so before a heavy lifting session I will have something to eat, nothing too heavy (maybe a protein shake & some nuts & fruit), but if I have an MMA session I tend to just hydrate as any food in my stomach during these sessions makes me wanna throw up after 15 mins of starting.
    If I am in "the zone" and doing some extra conditioning on my spin bike I have at home, I will do this before breakfast in the morning, so this is what I class as "fasted cardio".

As long as you are working hard, and not starving yourself continually or pounding down big macs like they are going out of fashion, I think either way will work. It is a dedication and continual progression in your training that will deliver the results you want :-)
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    No way, I HAVE to work out BEFORE eating.

I hate having food in my belly when I'm moving around, and it gives me cramps. Plus I like having the "reward" of eating after my workout.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've started exercising first thing in the morning, and I do not eat anything before. I do make sure I take a couple sips of water to reduce possible side cramping - and then I go full blast 45 min to 1 hour with cardio or weightlifting.

I seem to be adjusting to the schedule pretty quickly.

I agree with everyone else, try it each way and see what you like best.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I work on early in the morning and rarely have anything before except for some coffee (its just way too early).

I do think its more important to have something within a reasonable amount of time AFTER your workout (for "recovery') though...
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I always exercise first if I wake up early enough to do this. However, I'm not sure if this is best or not. It's always worked for me, though.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    No way, I HAVE to work out BEFORE eating.

I hate having food in my belly when I'm moving around, and it gives me cramps. Plus I like having the "reward" of eating after my workout.

Kinda how I feel.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Like other's said, all up to what works for you! I get up way too early to add time to eat before working out. I've always done it with this way and don't think it makes much of a difference for me personally.
  • embercakez
    Options
    If I do cardio in the morning I do it fasted. If I am lifting I have to have something in the belly.