To snack or not to snack? If so - fruit?!

Options
Hi all,

So i get up at 5am every day. I like to eat something first thing in the morning as i have a long commute to work (2.5-3 hours). Then when i get to work at about 8.30am i like to eat breakfast. I then have lunch around 12pm and if i have dinner when i get home (rather than in the car on the way home) i have it at around 8-8.30pm.

I basically have tried every "diet" under the sun and i want to just develop a nice healthy eating plan where i can eat "normal" healthy, filling meals. I find snacking sometimes makes me think about food more and obsess over it more if that makes sense?! But obviously with my long days i feel like i need to as i get hungry waiting so long in between meals.

Would it be best to just snack on fruit if and when i'm hungry?! xxx

Replies

• andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Snack on fruit and veggies or good sources of protein. You don't want to not snack then you'll be starving before your next meal and be more likely to cheat or eat too much food.
  • KellyS_86
    Options
    Fruit or veg... because they are fresh, unprocessed and good for you! I say veg as well because a lot of fruit means a lot of sugar and, as always, a varied diet is best. Carrot sticks, chopped up bell peppers, cucumber, celery. But... they might not necessarily fill you up, especially once you exercise and your metal kicks up a notch. I snack on prawns or a quarter of a round of bavarian cheese with my fruit sometimes. Protein to satisfy real hunger and some veg to fill up your tummy!
  • KellyS_86
    Options
    P.s. I try really hard to stay really busy busy at work. It has helped me define when I'm actually hungry and its a LOT less than I thought!! xxxxxx
  • Thanks guys :) xxx
  • Defo think i need to snack :) long days make me huuuungry!! xxx
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I snack. I usually have a snack for mid-morning or mid-afternoon (sometimes both), and then a "Midnight Munchies" snack. These snacks are always fruits, veggies or high-protein sources (peanut butter, nuts, milk).

I have to make sure my sugar doesn't get too low from diabetes. That's why I snack. However, even if I wasn't diabetic, I think it would be a good thing to snack a little here and a little there. Just don't overdo it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Snack on whatever you want. Eating and meal timing is about personal preference. I snack all day long. I like it, so I budget calories for it. Some people would rather only eat twice a day. That's fine for them. Do what works for you.

You should be trying to give your body the nutrition it needs - lean protein, healthy fats, fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. But that doesn't mean you can't eat treats/junk food now and then. If you truly want a "lifestyle" instead of a "diet" - eat right 80% of the time and eat what you want 20% of the time. Of course, the longer you eat "healthy" the more you will find that you want the healthy stuff.....but you don't have to give up chocolate, pizza, pasta, etc to do that.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I would snack on some nuts but watch how many our intaking. They are filling but some have a higher calorie. Protein bars, celery with peanut buttet. Raw veggies and fruit
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Studies show you will do better by eating smaller meals and eating more often then have 3 large meals.

I eat 5 times a day; usually ~ 3 hours apart. Breakfast around 7am, snack around 10, lunch around noon or 1, snack around 3 or 4, and dinner before 7

I keep the snacks to 75-120 calories (you can look at my diary..it's open) - I try to incorporate vegetables or fruit and protein into my snacks and if there is a carb involved..try to make sure it has fiber (keep in mind I am human and sometimes have a treat instead...I will say I usually regret it)
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning commuter also, and I've found that "something easy and healthy" at 6am helps me get to the office without an empty stomach that would sabotage me by mid-morning when I have a 300 calorie "breakfast." Here are some ideas of commuter friendly early morning snack ideas to get you off on the right foot:

>>half a turkey sandwich on high protein bread
    >>quartered and cored apple (fuji, gala, pink lady, etc.) with 1oz of reduced fat Cabot Jalapeno Cheddar (sweet/spicy combo is nice.)
    >>Dannon Fit & Light Greek Yogurt, blueberries, raspberries, and some granola in a cup
    >> Big cup of red seedless grapes, and some of your favorite low fat cheese
    >>Hummus and baked pita chips
    >>Snackwells makes a low fat & 8g protein cereal bar, and there are others out there, too.
    >>In the summer, a fresh fruit cup is always nice.
    >>Pumpkin spice quickie muffins: One box spice cake mix with one 15oz can of pumpkin
    >>8oz carton of fat free chocolate milk.

Anyone else have any commuter-friendly "breakfast" ideas?
  • Thank you everyone!! Very helpful :) xxx
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You could snack on pretty much anything, but some of my favorite choices are rice cakes, string cheese, nuts, fruit, veggies, etc. What's most important is that it makes you feel like you had something and helps keep up your energy levels.