Why am I not full...

Options
after eating a healthy, portioned controlled breakfast??? What is that?? I ate my fruit and oatmeal and an hour later if not sooner, I am still hungry.

Replies

• soulfulsally
    Options
    Maybe it's the sugar? IDK. I had to stop eating oatmeal years ago because I'd be hungry 10 minutes later. Just like with cereal.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try adding some lean protein to the mix tomorrow. One egg, 3-4oz. meat, greek yogurt................ Try eating one of these when you get hungry in an hour. See if it gets you to lunch.

Do you use sugar with your oatmeal/fruit? I'm wondering if your blood sugar is spiking.

I eat small amounts every few hours and never get hungry. You might want to try that if you can. Look at my diary if you'd like.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Drink more water also......
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I add protein to my morning oatmeal .... a scoop of protein powder. You could also try the Quaker Weight Control variety, it has added protein. Maybe add some fat to your breakfast ....a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in your oatmeal.

Protien, fiber, and fat all help keep you full longer.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    fruit does that to me. also, i have to have a lot of protein in the am. try to add some egg whites or even a spoon of peanut butter if you like that.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You do know that fat makes you feel full, right? Fruit and oatmeal aren't gonna make you feel full.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what they said. If I'm eatting heated oatmeal I'll add a half scoop of protein powder. If it's cold oatmeal (overnight in a jar) it has greek yogurt so extra protein.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I never do well with Oatmeal at breakfast, I get hungry sooner. I eat protein for breakfast and save the oatmeal for a before workout snack. That works better for me. Someone mentioned the sugar, that could be it.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do an overnight oatmeal that has greek yogurt and peanut butter in it. It keeps me full. I second making sure you get some sort of protein with your breakfast to keep you fueled. And eating smaller portions more frequently throughout the day.
  • amycb03
    amycb03 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I third the lean protein! What really works for me is a breakfast 'sammich' composed of two egg whites, english muffin (Thomas 100 calorie Triple Health) and either a slice of melted cheese or 1/2 avocado and a small portion of fruit - usually some berries or small apple. This combination keeps me full for hours and makes my belly really happy!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but....where's the protein? Also what type of oatmeal? Was it instant oatmeal with zero fiber? The more fiber rich, the longer you will feel full. Foods must be WHOLE, not processed in order for it to take longer for you to digest and therefore for you to have that FULL filling longer.

Read this document (it's short and ignore the sales pitch at the end (1/2 way through page 13 it starts becoming a sales pitch, so read 1-13)...I like the beginning part - it's all science and it's good info)

http://www.veghealth.com/supercharge/Fit_Forever_Ebook.pdf
  • nsemrau
    nsemrau Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You do know that fat makes you feel full, right? Fruit and oatmeal aren't gonna make you feel full.

I agree completely. Also, because you haven't eaten in over 8 hours or so (I'm generalizing), you should really think about making breakfast a much larger meal than you have probably done in the past. Also, both fruit and grains have a high GI, so they digest quickly, and the sugar hits your bloodstream causing a quick spike. When this falls, you get hungry.
    I typically eat a large vegetable omelette with half of an avocado and a 1/2 cup side of legumes (black beans, black-eyed peas, etc.) in the morning. It starts the day perfectly, and I never feel hungry. I'm very active and usually hit around 1600 calories a day.

Please feel free to look at my food diary if you'd like.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Fruit and oatmeal (and yogurt) keep me full.

I think the bottom line is experiment to see what works for you. For me yogurt, steel cut oats and some fruit keeps me from getting hungry but an egg with canadian bacon leaves me wanting something else in a couple hours but others find the opposite works for them. Try juggling things around a bit to see what works for you.
  • SugaSnak
    SugaSnak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice; it helped me tremendously. I didnt realize that protein was the answer. Another thing that I do/did wrong was instead of making the oatmeal at home, I grab the McDs oatmeal... bad choice I know. I will incorporate all of your advice and figure out what works for me. I am learning that in order to eat right, I have to do a lot of pre-prepping of my daily meals, I just cant fly by the seat of my pants anymore if I am going to be successful

Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I found this was happening to me and I started just having b-fast later at 11 am instead of at 8 am and it has helped me out.I just shifted my lunch to 3 and dinner to 7pm. Not sure if that will help doll ^u^ Good luck!
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I usually have oatmeal for breakfast, 2 packs of quaker instant. I drink a lot of water and when I get hungry again (usually 2 to 3 hours later) I grab a snack, snacks are your best friends as long as they are healthy :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I make a big overnight oatmeal with berries, chocolate protein powder and Greek yogurt @500 cal & 55g of protein. Keeps me full for about 4-5 hours - then I have a little snack if I need it to go until lunch. I eat really early. Check my diary for the stats if you wish.

I used to just have the oatmeal with applesauce and brown sugar..this is way better.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    2 big glasses of water before every meal help me a lot when I'm low on protein for that meal.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice; it helped me tremendously. I didnt realize that protein was the answer. Another thing that I do/did wrong was instead of making the oatmeal at home, I grab the McDs oatmeal... bad choice I know. I will incorporate all of your advice and figure out what works for me. I am learning that in order to eat right, I have to do a lot of pre-prepping of my daily meals, I just cant fly by the seat of my pants anymore if I am going to be successful

Thanks again :flowerforyou:

It takes a while to retrain your brain about what a normal portion size is as well. If you're used to eating a huge meal at breakfast, it'll take time for you to feel full on a more reasonable portioned meal. Be patient and don't quit if you screw up. You'll get there in time.

Good advice above on incorporating some fat and protein with breakfast as well.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    A 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of peanut butter stirred into my oatmeal keeps me satisfied longer. I don't add anything sweet.

2 cups of water (one pint) between/before each meal helps too.