Coffee as water?

Options
Does anyone count coffee in their water count for the day? I've heard it go both ways, just curious this morning!

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I do not. The caffeine in coffee is dehydrating. (But don't get me wrong -- I still drink my big travel mug full every morning!!) :drinker: Cheers!
  • Sally422
    Sally422 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with Phoenix Rising. Because of the caffeine's dehydrating properties, coffee wouldn't count as part of your water unless it was decaf.
  • missyannb85
    Options
    I do not. The caffeine in coffee is dehydrating. (But don't get me wrong -- I still drink my big travel mug full every morning!!) :drinker: Cheers!

That totaly makes sense! Thanks!
    P.S
    The cheers put a smile on my face!
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    i dont count it as people said above. if anything i try and drink more water after to counteract how dehdyrating it is! but usually im so fulll from my huge travel mug but i neeeed it haha
  • fishykisses
    Options
    Glad I came across this post...I've been wondering the same thing :)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

That totaly makes sense! Thanks!
    P.S
    The cheers put a smile on my face!

"Cheers" seemed to fit here, talking about drinking liquids.
    But truly, I wish I was British or Australian and said it commonly. I think it's an adorable sentiment.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    i dont count it as people said above. if anything i try and drink more water after to counteract how dehdyrating it is! but usually im so fulll from my huge travel mug but i neeeed it haha

I'm with you. When I'm being good, I will try to drink an EXTRA glass of water for every glass of dehydrating beverage I have (coffee or soda). Lemme tell you, 8 glasses of water, plus 2 cups of coffee, plus 2 more water, plus a soda, plus another glass of water = a very busy day running to the bathroom! haha
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Nope, I am with the rest of the group I do not count it either even though I drink it,, The only thing that I count is plain water..I dont even count my water if I add a flavor pack(dont know why)..but I only count my plain water..guess that gets more water in me..cause I always have atleast 8 8oz glass of plain water in a day..most days go to 10+
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :bigsmile: Yes, every dietician or doctor that I've seen over the years has told me (they told my mother the same thing) that Coffee is NOT water... :laugh: ... dang it... :noway: but that's okay in my case as I needed to cut down on the caffiene I was taking in...:grumble: I still drink my coffee though!! :bigsmile:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    To get technical, for every 8 oz of coffee, soda, or other caffienated beverage you need to relapce it with 24 oz of pure water. Same with alcohol.

Each cup can deplete 3 cups of stored water in your body. It is a diuretic.

That being said, I still love both coffee and alcohol:laugh:

I just chug-a-lug the pure water more:drinker:
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would say Coffee doesnt count but decaf coffee and herb tea and english tea with mik does?!

The main point is to keep hydrated...thats what we are trying to achieve with the count isnt it?! Its just a guide and a reminder to drink fluid not anythig else I guess...such as sugary drinks and milky coffees etc...but water is good so...

one could argue there is water in food too but lets not start that one eh!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    ...Each cup can deplete 3 cups of stored water in your body...

I'd love to see some evidence of this if you have any at your ready.

OP, I'm going to be the voice of dissent here: I think you can count it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I've heard smoking dehydrates and requires replacement with 2 cups of water as well. I'd believe it.

Here's what I keep in mind about fluid intake:
    Caffeine is dehyrdating.
    Feelings of dehydration are often misread as feelings of hunger, causing us to eat when we are actually thirsty.
    If you feel thirsty, you are already entering dehydration.
    More water = less dehydration.
    Less dehydration = less possible confusing for hunger (which = less eating).
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    By the way, this thread is making me thirsty......
  • ClarkWGriswold
    Options
    http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated--say-what-

here is some evidence that shows that you should go ahead and count it toward your water intake
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    This is a common misconception.

Most studies show that, in moderation, caffeine containing drinks are no more of a diuretic than water is! I did cut back how much coffee I drink, but I also count it! Just a few of the atrticles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html?_r=1

http://www.advance.uconn.edu/2002/020722/02072207.htm

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/31264/
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

I don't have it at the moment, but I will track it down when I have time.

These are the recommendations the I learned in school and were questions on my boards. I believe the studies from our text book were from the Mayo clinic.

I'll get back to you.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

I don't have it at the moment, but I will track it down when I have time.

These are the recommendations the I learned in school and were questions on my boards. I believe the studies from our text book were from the Mayo clinic.

I'll get back to you.

From The Mayo Clinic website:

Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine only has a diuretic effect if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (or 4 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.
  • Halfscoop
    Options
    I count any liguid. I drink alot of coffee but also I drink about a half gallon of crystal lite.I have heard it all counts but the artificial sweetner is a problem. I have just changed from splenda to nuvia made with the stevia plant
  • PoisonSugar
    Options
    Lipton Green Tea bags with Honey have NO calories as opposed to coffee's 35 or whatever. You don't need creamer so theres another 100+ calories and it also contains a small amount of caffiene. I still wouldn't count it as water as coffee/tea have added nutrients that you need... antioxidants, vitamins, etc....