Geocaching

Options
Has anyone done this for exercise? I could track with Endomondo and now sync the results here. Interesting!

Replies

• claw0416
    Options
    We do alot of caches. I do them for the exercise since some are through trails and thick terrains, that do make you sweat.. I have not tried the Endo with it. I have mapmywalk and was thinking about trying it with that.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Our Cub Scout Pack found a Geo while doing a Costal Clean up. We checked out geo's in our local area. We don't have an Iphone so we tried to find it but we had no luck. The kids and I had fun. It was an adventure. We are going to check it out again.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've been interested in it for a while. I know that my husband and boys would love it. Is it hard to do?
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've been interested in it too, and actually perused some websites about it yesterday. I'm trying to figure out if you actually need to buy a gps, or if you can just use a smart phone. It looks like there's an app, but I don't want to buy it if it doesn't fulfill all the needs.

Sure seems like a fun way to mix up a walk!
  • NHLeah
    NHLeah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tried using the free apps on my smartphone and IMO they are worth exactly what you paid for them. Pay the $10 for the geocaching app. Of course if you are really serious about geocaching, some find it worthwhile to buy a gps unit for that purpose and better accuracy. To each their own...
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Geocaching is really fun. My kids are 16 and 20, and we did two together, that they liked. The third was beyond their "fun" level. My husband has a GPS that we use for ours after just finding the coordinates on the geocaching website. I think it's really fun. I love to walk, and geocaching gives it mystery and purpose! All while burning some calories. Enjoy!
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    We used to do a lot, now we just hike. Our gps is broken and we are researching a new one to buy. My son and I found a cache by accident last Saturday while we were hiking, first time that has happened.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    i've been caching for 9 years. there are geocaching groups here.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    smart phones are ok, but i suggest that anyone really interested get a GPS.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A handheld GPS will serve you better than a smart phone if you really want to get into geocaching.

Not all caches include trails, so be mindful of which caches you choose to do. Caches vary by terrain and skill, from searching a parking lot to kayaking or hiking through thick brush.

Letterboxing is similar to geocaching, but it does not go by GPS. It simply gives you instructions on how to find the letterbox. www.letterboxing.org

Very fun way to keep active.
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    Sure - unless you are only doing Park and grabs. Not much different than just a hike.
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    Oh there is a awesome free app called C-geo to use with your smartphone in conjunction with Geocaching.com.
  • scarletgenesis
    Options
    I love geocaching, but for exercise calories and value of workout totally depends upon terrain. I'll get really tired and burning muscles if hunting for a cache in the woods up a huge hill that requires me to climb rocks. Urban sidewalk terrain obviously doesn't give me the workout but is just as fun.
  • fat2fitKara
    Options
    Has anyone done this for exercise? I could track with Endomondo and now sync the results here. Interesting!

LOVE GEOCHCHING!! I don't always log it as excercise though because sometimes I'm just walking in circles! :laugh:

I'm intrigued by letterboxing! I'll def be looking into it :)
  • claw0416
    Options
    When we first started doing the caches were actually went to the site and printed all of the ones we wanted to out, then used our hand help and car gps to locate, My husband had a old hand held garmin, which doesn't have all the high tech stuff they have now, and we had our car garmin..which worked for us..once we started getting more serious about the cache we startedlooking at a more high tech hand held..We never ended up getting one, but did down load the geo cache for the iphone..like another poster, I recommend to buy the 9.99 app. It is more accurate and gives way more details to the cache. We love it! Our kids enjoy doing them. It is a great way to spend a weekend without really spending any money, except the gas to get to your locations. We have noticed alot of cachers here actually bike most of their cache and then hike if they are doing a trial cach..There are alot of city caches as well if you just wanted a quick grab, or you want to do something more city based or park based. We like to do alot of the educational ones. And the ones you have to solve clues in order to get to the cache..They are so much fun! There are times we are traveling we will look and see if there are any one the way to where we are going. We have came across a few accidentally too..