BMI Blues

Options
Does anyone else feel like BMI results are hurtful and discouraging? I hate seeing the word 'obese' beside my weight. I'm not totally sure how it works, but I know the weight range I'm supposed to be in to be BMI healthy and I feel like I'd be unhealthy skinny at that weight. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely overweight, being 183 and only 5'3", but obese? Does anyone else share my in pain or am I just in denial?

Replies

• tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i agree. Its hurtful to be defined by a number and a category. At my thinnest i was still "overweight" My kids are "overweight" by the bmi chart and i can count their ribs. Don't take it too seriously. Its a tool to help some. I personaly think its a croc, but it helps some people. Instead define yourself by goals you aim for and reach. Aim to be a healthy example and role model not a number on a chart.
  • hollyvh88
    Options
    Thanks. That's a good way to look at it. But you hear all the time how important it is to know your BMI and to try to fit into the healthy range. And like I said, obese... morbidly obese? Is there a more discouraging word?
  • tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm morbidly obese still and i can run circles around my "healthy" friends because they don't exercise. I say boo to the bmi. don't dwell on negative things that could convince your mind that you aren't capable of doing something because of the bmi so you shouldn't even bother. Either use it as a goal to move forward, or forget about it. Its up to you
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Using nicer words doesn't change facts.

You're doing something about it, that's what counts.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Obese is a medical term...
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't really find it that hurtful, because it's just medical terminology. It's not like someone in the street coming up to you and calling you "fat" or "gross". It's just an indication that your weight may be putting you at risk of disease. The BMI is also a pretty blunt tool, more appropriately used to look at populations of people, not individuals. That said, assuming you're not a bodybuilder or athlete, it's a good general indication of the weight range that your body would be healthier in. It doesn't mean that if you are in the obese range that you're not healthy, or if you're in the healthy range you are healthy. It's just an indication, based on population statistics. There are some other indicators which you might find more useful, such as body fat percentage (which can be hard to measure without paying a lot of money) or waist-height ratio.

If it's upsetting you that much, why don't you avoid it for now? If you know that you're fit and healthy, then not chart can make that not be true. Just pick a goal weight that you feel comfortable with and aim for that. Once you get there, you can always re-evaluate and see if you want to lose any more or if you're happy where you are. Funnily enough, I was 183 lbs (and am 5'3") when I joined MFP in January, and now I'm 133. At the time, I couldn't imagine being anywhere near this weight, but I certainly don't feel "skinny" now. I'm not saying you would want to be this weight, but you just never know how your perception might change. Just take it one day at a time, and you'll find the right weight for you. :flowerforyou:
  • hollyvh88
    Options
    To be honest, I don't really find it that hurtful, because it's just medical terminology. It's not like someone in the street coming up to you and calling you "fat" or "gross". It's just an indication that your weight may be putting you at risk of disease. The BMI is also a pretty blunt tool, more appropriately used to look at populations of people, not individuals. That said, assuming you're not a bodybuilder or athlete, it's a good general indication of the weight range that your body would be healthier in. It doesn't mean that if you are in the obese range that you're not healthy, or if you're in the healthy range you are healthy. It's just an indication, based on population statistics. There are some other indicators which you might find more useful, such as body fat percentage (which can be hard to measure without paying a lot of money) or waist-height ratio.

If it's upsetting you that much, why don't you avoid it for now? If you know that you're fit and healthy, then not chart can make that not be true. Just pick a goal weight that you feel comfortable with and aim for that. Once you get there, you can always re-evaluate and see if you want to lose any more or if you're happy where you are. Funnily enough, I was 183 lbs (and am 5'3") when I joined MFP in January, and now I'm 133. At the time, I couldn't imagine being anywhere near this weight, but I certainly don't feel "skinny" now. I'm not saying you would want to be this weight, but you just never know how your perception might change. Just take it one day at a time, and you'll find the right weight for you. :flowerforyou:

Since you started at the same starting point as me and have done such an amazing job, could you maybe give me some advice or tips? I'm really just starting to make these new life changes and I could really use some experienced advise.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Well, everyone does it differently, but for me, the most important thing has been to make gradual changes that I can live with. I've always been overweight, and always been an emotional eater. When I started on MFP, I knew that keeping the weight off long term was going to be more important to me than even reaching my goal weight. So, bearing all that in mind, I knew that I'd have to make small changes, and really create a lifestyle that I can live with forever. With the best will in the world, I knew there was no way I'd be able to sustain a diet of chicken and steamed veggies indefinitely. So I just started with logging my food and counting calories. That's all I did to start with. I just ate what I wanted, and looked to see where I could tweak things so that I reached my calorie goal. I didn't give up any food, and I still haven't. It's been really important for me to realise that food isn't "good" or "bad", no one food made me overweight, it's all about balance. I still eat all my favourite foods. For a while, I did temporarily restrict a few foods that I was worried I might binge on, but I quickly found that the calorie counting helps me keep it all under control.

As time has gone on, I've gradually made more changes to my diet. I now pay attention to the macronutrients in my diary (carbs, protein, fat) and make sure I get plenty of protein. My diet is much, much better than it was a year ago, but I've made the changes gradually, and I never feel in danger of "falling off the wagon" because I don't need to. If I want chocolate, I eat chocolate (most days in fact), if I want a glass of wine, I have it, I just make sure it all fits into my calorie goal and now, my macronutrient goals. If I go over my goal a little, or even if I go over my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure/"maintenance"), I don't beat myself up, I don't starve myself the next day, I just carry on as normal. No one gets fat from overeating at one meal, or even over a weekend. It's what you do most of the time that counts.

I'm not a big believer in having a massive calorie deficit. Slow and steady has worked for me, and I think it's far more sustainable. Partly because allowing yourself to eat a reasonable amount helps with not feeling like you're "on a diet". You don't feel so deprived. But also, the body is only going to lose so much fat at once. Having a massive calorie deficit just increases the amount of muscle mass you lose along the way, and that's really counterproductive. Don't get too caught up in the whole "starvation mode - is it real/is it a myth" debate on the message boards. The thing is, if you consistently undereat over time, your body will adapt and your metabolism will be affected. The more fat you have, the more you can get away with it, but I honestly don't think it's worth the risk. Weight loss takes time. Annoying, but true. I started off in January at 1200 calories (plus exercise calories) and I lasted a couple of months, but found I was just too tired. I raised it to about 1400 (plus exercise calories) and found that I lost at the same rate and had much more energy.

For me, those are the basics. Here are some extra tips that have worked for me:

-read lots, here on the boards and elsewhere; keep an open mind. You'll hear tons of different opinions on how to lose weight. Stick to the common sense things, and give yourself time to work out what's best for you.

-drink plenty of fluids

-weight loss is not linear and you will have fluctuations due to water weight. Don't let this freak you out. Reasons for water retention include increased sodium consumption, increased carb consumption, increased exercise intensity and hormonal changes. Water weight usually goes away in a couple of days.

-if you have a bad day/weekend/holiday/whatever, just get back on track straight away, before you lose momentum. Don't freak out if a day or a couple of days off track makes you gain several pounds - most of that will be water. Don't beat yourself up, just keep at it.

-get plenty of protein to help preserve lean mass

-take measurements of your body, and progress photos - both will help keep you motivated as you go, especially when the scale gets stuck

-learn about which foods are calorie dense (for when you need to "make up" calories) and which are calorie poor (for when you are hungry but have no cals left)

-I don't know if you exercise much yet, but if you can find something that you really enjoy, and can set goals with that that have nothing to do with weight loss, that will also help keep you motivated to be active. The best exercise is the one you love.

-If you have the opportunity/inclination, strength training with heavy weights can be invaluable to help preserve lean mass, and give you a "toned" look when you have lost the fat. It's never to early to start, and you won't build any significant amount of muscle mass (or get bulky) while you are eating at a calorie deficit

-read the stories on the "success" board (very motivating), and check out the message board groups if you haven't already

That's all I can think of for now! Just focus on the basics, make small gradual changes, and you'll find that as time goes by, you'll find out what works for you, and what's important.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like BMI results are hurtful and discouraging? I hate seeing the word 'obese' beside my weight. I'm not totally sure how it works, but I know the weight range I'm supposed to be in to be BMI healthy and I feel like I'd be unhealthy skinny at that weight. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely overweight, being 183 and only 5'3", but obese? Does anyone else share my in pain or am I just in denial?

The problem is that our society has decided that "fat" is an insult and "skinny" is a compliment, when really they should be neutral descriptions. I don't mind describing myself as "obese", because, at my height and weight, that word is accurate. I have a BMI of 32.5, therefore I am obese. I do mind when people assume that this means I don't exercise, eat tons of junk food, am lazy etc., because those things are not accurate and weren't even when I was at my heaviest (a few pounds into the morbidly obese category).

I also think our idea of what obese means doesn't track well with the BMI definition. When I describe myself as "obese", friends will jump in and say "no, you're not, I mean you don't look like the people I see on t.v. who can barely walk down the street." They think obese means a weight that is much, much higher than where the actual cut-off is. The also think it means a series of other things (again: lazy, unhealthy etc.) that may or may not be true about any individual person whatever their weight.

I have found the BMI definitions helpful in setting my interim weight loss goals, but otherwise I try not to think too much about it. I don't shy away from using the word obese in describing myself because it is an accurate description of my weight and because I want people to understand that not every obese person fits their stereotype.

I have set my goal weight to be 5 pounds into the healthy range, but, according to various calculators that take into account both current and goal body fat percentages, a healthy weight for me would be 5 pounds into the "overweight" range, so if I"m not losing when I get to that weight I'm not going to worry about it. Also, keep in mind that all the weights in the healthy range are considered healthy. I see so many people on here who seem to think that they need to be at the absolute lowest number in the range to be healthy, when this may not be realistic depending on their frame size.
  • hollyvh88
    Options
    Thank you all for the advise!