Walking

Options
I just got a new heart rate monitor. I went for a 15 minute walk this morning before school and it said I was avg 7.2 mph. Now I walk fast but I didn’t think that fast maybe 4mph. Is that even possible or should I look into taking that back?

Replies

• Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    thats a good running speed. so yeah, theres no way.
    and do you mean you got a new GPS watch?
  • Susantuti
    Susantuti Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When I do 6.0 on the treadmill it's like a fast jog/run..... I'd be happy if I found out that my treadmill is wrong and your monitor is right. Doubt it though. lol.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    Sounds wonky to me! That's a fast jog/run (would be a full out run w/my lil stubby legs). Maybe compare the speed to a GPS phone ap (like mapmyrun) - I think the speed (but not calorie burn) seems pretty accurate with that.
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    I was thinking maybe 15 minutes was to short of a time to be accurate? Maybe I will try it one more time and if it’s still being crazy all take it back.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I just got a new heart rate monitor. I went for a 15 minute walk this morning before school and it said I was avg 7.2 mph. Now I walk fast but I didn’t think that fast maybe 4mph. Is that even possible or should I look into taking that back?
    How can a HRM tell how fast you are walking, it just keeps track of your hear rate. I think you may be using it wrong. do you have a man to show you how to use it? or a 11 year old boy to programme it for you... :)
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Shy of speed walking (focusing intentionally on walking as fast as possible), most people are going to break into the jog / run phase at about 4.5 - 5.0 mph.

7.2mph is usually in the realm of military / police fitness test run components.

But you may want to look into how the watch functions. Some things require more prep than others. Back in 2006, my first wrist-mounted GPS seemed to be giving me wonky numbers, but then I realized the problem was that I was moving before it had a solid fix on my position and that was why the distances were off.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Shy of speed walking (focusing intentionally on walking as fast as possible), most people are going to break into the jog / run phase at about 4.5 - 5.0 mph.

7.2mph is usually in the realm of military / police fitness test run components.

But you may want to look into how the watch functions. Some things require more prep than others. Back in 2006, my first wrist-mounted GPS seemed to be giving me wonky numbers, but then I realized the problem was that I was moving before it had a solid fix on my position and that was why the distances were off.
    NOT a GPS, a HRM,
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I know. I was using my GPS as an example of tech that I hadn't prepped properly before using it. I don't know what kind of features may come with this HRM, as I just go for the cheap ones sold at the local store.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    it's wrong or you are not using it right.

What is the device name and manufacturer?
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    I figured it out. It doesn't tell me how fast I walk mph. It tells me how many minutes it takes to walk a mile. So I am averaging 7 minutes per half a mile. Thank you everyone for your thoughts.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    That is funny! I guess you are like me, opening the users' manual only in case of emergency. ;-)