High protein snacks suitable to take to work.

Options
joybedford
joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
Hi looking for advice tomorrow I move areas of work. The new ward has a ritual of sitting together at break time to have hot buttered toast and milky coffee I am trying to eat at about 40% carbs so don't need the toast but if I don't take something with me I may eat the toast. Currently I take to work fruit and natural yoghurt but am also trying to reduce sugar intake . Any ideas for snacks suitable to take that won't look weird when everyone else is eating toast. We get very little time to eat and have access to a toaster and microwave only.

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, grilled (insert meat of choice here), hard boiled eggs.........

I'm not sure if eating these would look weird. Food is food. Would it be weird to eat a donut?
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How about a string cheese? Or hard boiled eggs?
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, string cheese, cottage cheese
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes with peanut butter?
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :smile: nuts and seeds are high in protein,
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Think Thin Bar. 20 grams protean, 230 cals.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    First advice, don't worry if it looks weird, just eat what you want. Believe me, I know - I typically ate salad for breakfast when I worked in an office.:smile:

My favorite non-sugary snacks:

Celery with nut butter
    Thin slices of good cheese with or without an apple or some berries
    Nuts
    Hardboiled eggs
    Canned tuna (though wouldn't necessarily recommend this in a group)
    Hot tea
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Nuts, Hard-boiled Eggs, Beef Jerky, All Beef Hot Dogs, Tuna... All easy and tasty choices :wink:
  • JodyPellissey
    Options
    bump
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky (I buy Big Johnsons and it's minimally processed, so not too much extra bad stuff) and lunchmeat. Ask your deli if they have any on-site roasted turkey. Since it's made in house, it'll have less preservatives and hopefully less sodium.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I was going to say "a live chicken" but then I remembered the suitable part... :laugh:
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    eggs, string cheese, cottage cheese either with fruit or tomato and pepper, greek yogurt, rice cakes, protein shake? I do a 40/3030 diet and usually do fruits or veggies as my snacks and don't have a problem meeting my macros, but I do drink a protein shake post workout and my dinner is fairly high protein/low carb.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Chocolate Delux Bar 180 cals for 20grams protein. I like them but my wife does not so..... : )
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    I am going to go with everyone else here and say that food is food, they made their choice to eat toast, you made yours to eat *insert high protein choice here*.
    It sounds more like peer pressure to eat toast, is it white bread toast they are eating? Cause you can eat toast but have some healier multi grain or whole wheat toast, and have only one piece, throw some peanut butter on it.
    They also have bagel thins which are about a quarter the size of a regular bagel, with some peanut butter would work.

Unless your diabetic, I don't think you necessarily have to worry about your "sugar" intake when it comes to eating fruit. Sugar from fruit is a natural sugar that is good for the body. It's the refined sugars in white bread, white sugar etc., anything processed with sugar that isn't good for you. I eat at least two apples a day, and there is a lot of "sugar" in them.
  • berkman12
    berkman12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Depending on how i feel, I usually eat cream of wheat or oatmeal. if i want high protein and food isnt an option, i will bring a slim fast-low carb shake with me to work. 180 cal, 20 gms of protein, 3 carbs
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's really "healthy", but I just tried Nature Valley's Protein chewy bar, in peanut, almond and dark chocolate, and it's pretty darn tasty.

It has 10g of protein, 14g carbs and 6g of sugar. I'm not sure how those macros suit you.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Freybe's original or turkey/chicken pepperoni sticks

Hard boiled eggs

almonds

peanut butter on celery

veggies and spinach dip

zuccini slices with goat cheese and a black olive on top (awesome snack)

tomatoe slices with mayo and pepper
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: make a smoothie at home and bring also!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Almonds, apples and PB, cottage cheese and apples or strawberries or blueberries, boiled egg, LARABARS! :)
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Thanks for so many replies. I don,t know why I am worrying about looking weird I have a reputation for being a bit weird anyway. Also half the younger midwifes are on the Dukan diet so will probably fit it well. I don,t think a live chicken would go down that well though LOL. I suppose it is just a matter of changing usuall routines and ways of eating which i have done before and can do again. I have never eaten beef jerky no idea what it tastes like, until recently I wasn,t even that keen on meat but have found myself enjoying it. I love peanut butter and natural yoghurt and like protein bars although I tend to eat one of these on the way home in the car.