Help! Weight loss for military

Options
So the problem is I'm 5'3 and weigh 184 I have HUGE boobs so half of my weight is coming from my breast :-( any advice as to how I can lose 40 pounds in 2 months! My goal is to leave for basic in Jan. I have already started eating healthy and I work out 2x a day but have lost nothing! Please let me hear your advice.. Thanks

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    40 pounds of weight loss in 2 months is not even hralthy. You may be able to lose 20 in 2 months (assuming at least 5 is water weight) and then at basic you might lose the other 20.

What are your goals before basic did they give a you a weight to hit, a fitness level, a body fat number?
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Open up that diary gurl and let us see.

How long since you've started? Because I can see you doing 2-a-days and not seeing any results.

Finally, make sure you're running, doing plenty of abs and even more push-ups
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for wanting to serve our country in the military! That's great!

With that said, 40lbs in 2 months is going to be hard to achieve. Did your recruiter give you a fitness target to shoot for? How long have you known you wanted to enlist?
    How long have you been exercising? What is your current calorie goal?
  • domcom08
    Options
    thanks for responding-
    But for my height the max weight is 143, so where i'm at right now that's about 40 lbs to lose
  • domcom08
    Options
    i thought it was lol wait how do i do that lol and okay Lord be with me but I will try that as well
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    you can be 32% body fat but you have to make tape if you don't make weigh. So I'd say focus on altering your body compostion, eat A LOT of protein. like 150g worth a day a lot
  • domcom08
    Options
    thank you- OKAY! so my bmi is currently 32% needs to be down somewhere between 18-25% my calorie count is like 1200 , i've only started my journey for about 5 days, I have always wanted to be in the military but weight loss was the only reason i never got in so now it's kind of like this is my last hoo-rah and i NEED to do this for me for many reasons so it's time to get my life on track
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would see about pushing your report date back if you need to meet that weight. I'm Air Force and I know the recruiters waiver a lot of things to get people in (maybe not as much now since we are downsizing). But if they do waiver you for your weight, I could see 1 of 2 things happening.
    1. Military PT helps you tremendously and you lose the weight just fine after and life is happy and you pass every fitness test ever.
    2. Even with the PT, you struggle with your weight and have been set up for "failure". Like I said, the AF at least is cutting way back, and failure to meet fitness standards is by far the #1 thing getting people kicked out.
    Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Can you do delayed enlistment? That's what my husband did and it gave him time to lose weight before he left. He lost a ton in basic, but he had to lose about 50 lbs before he left. But he didn't try to do it in 2 months-- it was more like 6.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So the problem is I'm 5'3 and weigh 184 I have HUGE boobs so half of my weight is coming from my breast :-( any advice as to how I can lose 40 pounds in 2 months! My goal is to leave for basic in Jan. I have already started eating healthy and I work out 2x a day but have lost nothing! Please let me hear your advice.. Thanks

You can't really make it happen faster.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    thank you- OKAY! so my bmi is currently 32% needs to be down somewhere between 18-25% my calorie count is like 1200 , i've only started my journey for about 5 days,

There's the thing...You have only been doing this for 5 days and you expect results???? And you have started an new exercise regime....
    Make sure you eat your exercise cals and fuetl your body - and be patient - you did not pick up the 40lbs in two months did you?
    Concentrate on cardio AND strengh - you will need both...
    Put the scale away for the next month at least and take measurements...
  • eliza46142
    eliza46142 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

It's awesome that you want to serve the country, and that you're willing to work so hard to do it. Good for you!!!
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to give you a wake up call and tell you that it is HIGHLY unlikely, if not impossible to do this.

Here's the math (not taking into account stupid things our bodies do like starvation mode, water retention etc):

To lose 40 lbs, you need to run a deficit of 140,000 calories (3,500 x 40). Yes, you read it correctly. So, for 60 days, you need to eat a deficit of 2333 calories per day below what your body requires to maintain itself.

Your body needs 1971 (let's call it 2000) calories to maintain itself. Therefore you need to eat -333 calories per day.

Revise your goals, because you are simply setting yourself up for failure, because it is simply impossible to achieve that kind of result, unless you cut off a limb.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If they will let you into bootcamp a little heavy, you'll lose it.

Because my rate (MOS) was undermanned (60%) when I joined, I wen to bootcamp at 260 (needed to be 186). I got down to 185 in the 2 months I was in bootcamp, and Navy bootcamp is easier than army bootcamp.

Do what you can to get FIT. Of course focus on weight, PLEASE eat more than 1200 calories, figure out your basal metabolic rate and total daily energy expenditure (google BMR and TDEE, you'll figure it out).

Remember... you will be required to stay in shape, or you get kicked out. I'm facing #2 of 3 allowable fitness failures. I can do more push ups, sit ups, lift more weights, than a lot of people, and run at a decent pace... my sole issue is body fat.

With body fat/weight... there are 2 ways of checking this. One is the no-bull**** scale weight, the other is your measurements. There are a few caveats, such as 'irregular body shape' which I think might be a viable option, but regardless... do your best to maintain a higher fitness level :) Any questions, feel free to ask.. there are more than a few active duty military members here.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That's a lot short of starving yourself, but I know a lot of military people do that leading up to their yearly assessments.

Half of your weight is NOT in your boobs. Weigh one and you'll see. :-)
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    you can be 32% body fat but you have to make tape if you don't make weigh. So I'd say focus on altering your body compostion, eat A LOT of protein. like 150g worth a day a lot
    thank you- OKAY! so my bmi is currently 32% needs to be down somewhere between 18-25% my calorie count is like 1200 , i've only started my journey for about 5 days, I have always wanted to be in the military but weight loss was the only reason i never got in so now it's kind of like this is my last hoo-rah and i NEED to do this for me for many reasons so it's time to get my life on track

BMI is not the same as body fat. The military takes measurements of your body to determine your body fat. Check here for more information http://www.25idl.army.mil/PT/r600_9.pdf (or google AR 600-9).

Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

5 days is not enough time to determine if you are getting results or not. You need to change your expectation and stop thinking of this as a crash diet. Especially if you want to be in the military. You will need to treat your body like a machine and pursue fitness and health, not quick weight loss.
    I would strongly suggest pushing back your date, if you can. Give yourself time to lose the weight properly. Maybe hire a personal trainer? Also, 1200 calories will not be enough if you are working out twice a day (which is probably overkill). 1200 calories isn't enough if you are working out hard once a day.

Read this link and figure out how to set your calorie goal up so you can lose weight sensibly:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Instead of 20%, take a 25-30% reduction from your TDEE. Try to eat a mostly healthy diet (but don't deprive yourself). Set yourself up for success so you can pursue your dream.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I was at 173 when I started my weight loss in April, now at 144. It takes time. I can almost guarantee you will not make it to 143 by January. Sorry to say. And I have hug boobs. I used that excuse and it didn't fly. It takes time and patience. I am finally where I want to be to leave for basic. And I am just waiting for an active recruiter where I live.
  • MommaKit79
    Options

THANK YOU for your desire to serve this wonderful country!

You most likely will NOT lose that 40 lbs before January but, do what you can to lose what you can...eat right, exercise, and give it time. It didnt just "show up" so it isnt just going to "go away." SO, you are going to have to be patient and do what you can between now and then. Be diligent and consistant and you should have a good loss between now and then.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I was active duty for 7 years. I know that it is hard especially when you are up against a clock. I struggled with my weight before and while in the Army. It will be very hard to lose that much in 2 months. You need to make sure that you work on your running, pushups and sit-ups. I know that they were changing up the PT test so I am unsure what is on it now. They also changed the PT standards. One thing you need to do is realize that PT is meant for maintenance. If you have things you need to improve, you have to work on it on your own time. I'm 5' and always had to get taped due to being heavier than the "max weight". As long as you pass the tape test, you will be fine. Just keep working so that you have some wiggle room, even if you continue to need to get taped.