Advice on setting up my calories(12lbs to goal)

I'm 4ft 10" and I currently weigh 102.8lbs, I have 12lbs left to lose. I walk everyday 30-60 minutes a day, depending on how busy I am.
Last week, I had two low days(roughly 670 calories each day) then four binge days(3,000 calories each day at least), I still managed to lose 2lbs last week despite the really bad binge days, why is this? Usually if I lost weight I would be jumping for joy because I'd have worked hard to lose it, but last week foodwise I was terrible. I use the sedentary tdee as sometimes I don't walk, so my tdee is 1530, so really I should've gained or maintained right? After I weighed in, I still felt really upset over it because this is not how I want to lose weight, I want to lose it the healthy way.

Replies

• Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Had you been over-restricting for a long time before the binges? If so, they probably fuelled your body to be ABLE to burn fat, as without adequate calories our bodies cannot lose weight efficiently, they conserve energy in case of an emergency (famine etc...) I still find that my 'cheat day' every Saturday helps me to lose weight, and I don't over-restrict on normal days, I eat only slightly less than my BMR. :smile:

Would it be possible for you to fit in 30 minutes of exercise (apart from walking) every day to bump up your TDEE and your metabolism, meaning you can eat more and lose weight? The best number seems to be a 15 or 20% cut from your TDEE x
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Had you been over-restricting for a long time before the binges? If so, they probably fuelled your body to be ABLE to burn fat, as without adequate calories our bodies cannot lose weight efficiently, they conserve energy in case of an emergency (famine etc...) I still find that my 'cheat day' every Saturday helps me to lose weight, and I don't over-restrict on normal days, I eat only slightly less than my BMR. :smile:

Would it be possible for you to fit in 30 minutes of exercise (apart from walking) every day to bump up your TDEE and your metabolism, meaning you can eat more and lose weight? The best number seems to be a 15 or 20% cut from your TDEE x
    No I hadn't, I was eating 1,500-2,000 a day. You're one of my biggest inspirations on here:) I used to run and strength train but my doctor advised me against it, which is why I just walk. I have noticed from just walking everyday constantly, I have lost an inch on my waist and an inch on my hips in a month which isn't too bad, right? Xxx
  • tashaa1992
    Hate doing this but really need opinions and advice, bump
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i know you're only small, but do you really need to be under 100lbs?

maybe you should look at including strength training into your exercise routine and toning up. that way you will be smaller and stronger, and having more muscle burns more calories so that you can eat more!

i would change the weight loss to 0.5 or 1lb per week as you are fairly close to goal. the more agressive the deficit, the harder it is to lose when you are near goal weight.
  • laurencareyRD
    laurencareyRD Posts: 5 Member
    Eat real food... minimal processed foods with 100 ingredients listed. Give your body the NUTRITION it needs vs focusing on 1 number that will drive you absolutely insane. Give your body a variety of whole foods and plant based proteins, lots of water, exercise, and just enjoy feeling well.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Why did your doctor tell you not to run and strength train? Did those things cause problems for you? I had doctors tell me not to go out for sports in school because I'm female.

My best guess with the weight loss despite binging is you ate enough for your weekly calories to be less than your weekly calorie burn.
  • tashaa1992

maybe you should look at including strength training into your exercise routine and toning up. that way you will be smaller and stronger, and having more muscle burns more calories so that you can eat more!

i would change the weight loss to 0.5 or 1lb per week as you are fairly close to goal. the more agressive the deficit, the harder it is to lose when you are near goal weight.
    I don't need to be under 100lbs, but I feel I look better when I'm smaller. I used to strength train but my doctor advised me against it as it was hurting my back(I have a history with eating disorders and I purge also, purging puts alot of strain on my back). What intake should I aim for roughly?
  • tashaa1992
    Eat real food... minimal processed foods with 100 ingredients listed. Give your body the NUTRITION it needs vs focusing on 1 number that will drive you absolutely insane. Give your body a variety of whole foods and plant based proteins, lots of water, exercise, and just enjoy feeling well.
    Thank you for your advice:)
  • tashaa1992
    Why did your doctor tell you not to run and strength train? Did those things cause problems for you? I had doctors tell me not to go out for sports in school because I'm female.

My best guess with the weight loss despite binging is you ate enough for your weekly calories to be less than your weekly calorie burn.
    He advised me against it because it was putting further strain on my back(I have a history with ed's and purging). I burnt no more than 180 calories each day I walked, I didn't walk everyday last week either. I know my tdee is 1530 but I'm going to try out 1500 for a couple of weeks I think, hopefully it takes me in the right direction.
  • TavistockToad

I don't need to be under 100lbs, but I feel I look better when I'm smaller. I used to strength train but my doctor advised me against it as it was hurting my back(I have a history with eating disorders and I purge also, purging puts alot of strain on my back). What intake should I aim for roughly?

if you set your weight loss goal to 1lb on here, what figure does it give you?
  • tashaa1992

if you set your weight loss goal to 1lb on here, what figure does it give you?
    I've just checked all four: 0.5lb, 1lb, 1.5lbs, 2lbs and I have the same calorie goal regardless of whether I want to lose 0.5lb or 2lbs, it's giving me 1200, should I just stick with 1200?
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    No I hadn't, I was eating 1,500-2,000 a day. You're one of my biggest inspirations on here:) I used to run and strength train but my doctor advised me against it, which is why I just walk. I have noticed from just walking everyday constantly, I have lost an inch on my waist and an inch on my hips in a month which isn't too bad, right? Xxx

Losing an inch on your waist and hips in a month is fantastic!!! especially on your frame. Considering your history with ed, try to focus on eating healthy and keeping a good relationship with food. You might want to look at your average over a week rather than day to day. The 1500-2000 average is working, so you don't need to change it. Just keep walking and don't over do it. You can always add in small weights to tone that don't put stress on your back.
  • TavistockToad
    I've just checked all four: 0.5lb, 1lb, 1.5lbs, 2lbs and I have the same calorie goal regardless of whether I want to lose 0.5lb or 2lbs, it's giving me 1200, should I just stick with 1200?

if you can eat more and lose weight then you may as well... thats what i think anyway, cos i like food!!!

try 1500 for maybe 4 weeks and see what results you get. make sure its mainly good stuff, lots of protein and fruit and veg and good fat x
  • laurencareyRD
    laurencareyRD Posts: 5 Member
    My fitness pal is an amazing tool... but you should consult with a healthcare professional (registered dietitian) to help you reach your goals the right way for YOU as an individual to ensure it is healthy. Just putting in numbers won't always work.

Remember- your body is a machine and needs the nutrients. Do not deprive it!