Options
124»

Replies

• bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    SCARY. I JUST FELT ONE HALF AN HOUR AGO HERE IN NEW ZEALAND! :( x

ME TOO!

So weird - a simultaneous international earthquake?
  • mjay26
    mjay26 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I kinda like quakes, I get dizzy and I am like wooooah :drinker: LOL

of course not a 9 one, but I once felt a 7.2 one, I had fun trying to walk straight after it hehe

Theres nothing fun about quakes when they kill people and destroy cities. Ive lived through two massive quakes (6.3 and 7.1) and over 10000 aftershocks (and still counting) here in Christchurch NZ....not a good time. I dont feel anything under a 4 now, you become immune...

guess u missed my ´of course not a 9 one....´ , meaning quakes where lots of ppl die are not fun, but if the city just shake a bit and nothing happens, they are fun, at least for me!
    And yes you become immune, you say you have lived two massive ones, for me, living in the pacific coast, a 6.3 is not a massive one, nor the 7.1 you comment, the 7.2 I felt a few years ago just made me a bit dizzy and i didnt even feel the replicas. Massive for me is the one they had in Chile few years ago, or the one in Japan.

just had to say that 6.3 WAS massive here in Christchurch due to the fact it was only 5kms deep, and only 10kms away from the city centre :(
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The last quake was 1985 I think...so YES id say pretty rare and exciting and nerve wracking because we dont know what to expect...I was at an ice skating rink and heard about it when my 11 year old daughter got calls from her friends. "So why do I miss all the fun? "...ummmm skating wasn't more fun than a 10 second rattle??!! Hahahaa
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    earthquake + east coast = lol

ferreals haha.

I'm a California girl originally and my "first" earthquake was the Loma Prieta so basically I am unimpressed by what causes a tizzy in New England.
    Oh well doesn't that just make you superior. Let's see now how does southern California react when there's a slight drizzle of rain? People talk about things they aren't used to. Get over it.

Way to read way too much into my post and be an *kitten* about it.

Also I'm from Northern California and am not responsible for anything anyone south of Santa Cruz does haha.
  • bostongeek
    Options
    Seriously, tho, it seems like there have been a couple quakes since I moved out here--are people just surprised every year (like how people get surprised every year when it starts snowing again) or are they actually becoming more frequent out here? Like I said, not from these parts.
  • charkane
    charkane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was on my pc and i thought it was my upstairs neighbors washing machine shaking my cupboards or a train going by since I live near a track!! (but wondered why a train would be going by that time of night) I'm in Maine
  • Techn0mancer
    Options
    Seriously, tho, it seems like there have been a couple quakes since I moved out here--are people just surprised every year (like how people get surprised every year when it starts snowing again) or are they actually becoming more frequent out here? Like I said, not from these parts.

I've been here all my life, 31 years, and this is Earthquake #3 or 4--or something like that--that I remember. We don't freak out about snow though unless it comes in October and knocks out power across 2/3 of the state for 6 days.. no heat, no working gas pumps, no heat, trees and power lines down everywhere, no heat.. yeah, wasn't fun.. did I mention there was no heat?
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :smile: Just heard a report on the News that there was a 3.2 Earthquake near Wellston (27 miles NorthEast of Oklahoma City) late Tuesday Night. It said that people felt the tremor but there were No Reports of Damage or Injurys.
    :drinker: Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • bostongeek
    Options

I've been here all my life, 31 years, and this is Earthquake #3 or 4--or something like that--that I remember. We don't freak out about snow though unless it comes in October and knocks out power across 2/3 of the state for 6 days.. no heat, no working gas pumps, no heat, trees and power lines down everywhere, no heat.. yeah, wasn't fun.. did I mention there was no heat?

Weird that there have been two quakes in the like 4 years I've lived here, then. I wonder what's up.

and yikes, that October storm sounds worse than some of the ones we had when I lived in Minnesota. (I've moved around a lot...) Considering it snowed, like, twice last year we're probably due for something crazy this year, huh?
  • misssarah_
    Options
    I kinda like quakes, I get dizzy and I am like wooooah :drinker: LOL

of course not a 9 one, but I once felt a 7.2 one, I had fun trying to walk straight after it hehe

Theres nothing fun about quakes when they kill people and destroy cities. Ive lived through two massive quakes (6.3 and 7.1) and over 10000 aftershocks (and still counting) here in Christchurch NZ....not a good time. I dont feel anything under a 4 now, you become immune...

guess u missed my ´of course not a 9 one....´ , meaning quakes where lots of ppl die are not fun, but if the city just shake a bit and nothing happens, they are fun, at least for me!
    And yes you become immune, you say you have lived two massive ones, for me, living in the pacific coast, a 6.3 is not a massive one, nor the 7.1 you comment, the 7.2 I felt a few years ago just made me a bit dizzy and i didnt even feel the replicas. Massive for me is the one they had in Chile few years ago, or the one in Japan.

Really? isnt big to you? Its not just about the number, the fact it was only 5kms deep made it a HUGE earthquake. The 7.1 we had was not as big as the 6.3, so even though you had a 7.2 it could have been a couple of hundred k's deep so of course it wont FEEL that big. Thats quite ignorant of you to say. Is it because NZ is little and only a couple of hundred people died compared to thousands in Japan for example that its not BIG to you? The 1000's of people here that lived through it, were injured, are still homeless or were injured certainly felt it was big!! I dont really think you can comment on how big something is that you have not experienced....
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Ya that was a lot of fun. Glad Im a pro camper, we had the only fresh coffee on the street and tons of sleeping bags to curl up in :) Too bad we lost so much food in the deep freezer :(
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    We had a 5.3 just before midnight last night here in central California. I slept right through it. :tongue: Which is kind of a bummer since it's been a long time since I've felt one! No damage reported, just lots of postings from my night owl friends on Facebook.