Pancake Questions....

Options
Helllo everyone! My husband loooooves pancakes and tonight happens to be breakfast for dinner. I would like to make some pancakes we both will enjoy. I found this recipe here, posted by 2Phat1, it does not indicate the measurement for serving size... has anyone made this recipe, have a great one I could try, or tips on how to figure out the serving size for the below?

Thank you!!! :flowerforyou:

Ingredients
3/4 c. cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. skim milk (I actually use 2% milk so each pancake is more like 30 calories each. )
2 egg whites
Directions
1. Sprinkle dash of salt on egg whites and beat until stiff, but not dry.
2. Add milk to flour and salt. Beat until smooth.
3. Add baking powder and beat a few seconds more
4. Fold in beaten egg whites.
5. Pour into the pan and turn once. Should be golden brown.

Nutrition facts:
Calories: 26
Fat: 0.0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 149mg
Carbohydrates: 5g
Fibre: 0.1g
Protein: 1.3g

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Put it into the recipe builder. Use the # of pancakes you use as the # of servings. Or keep adjusting the # of servings until it says 26 calories and make that many pancakes.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If I was having a pancake meal, I'd make regular pancakes. Instead of adding maple syrup and butter, I'd add fruit and low cal whipped fream or a vanilla flavoured greek yogurt. Instead of having 4 or 5 pancakes, I'd have 1 or 2 and add something lighter on the side.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Looks similar to my recipe which makes around 12 'palm size' or 9 bigger pancakes. I tend to adjust the liquid so that the batter isn't super thick, which also will make a difference to the total numbers - but you can easily do that with a bit of water as opposed to more milk and not affect the calorie count.
  • dame145
    Options
    Hi! I'm not sure of the recipe you have, but there are lots of good pancake mixes or premixes that are healthy out there, I prefer high fiber foods so I use the ones by Fiber One and other brands which try to get you a lot of fiber per serving. I am new to MFP, so I haven't tried the recipe builder yet, but it sounds like a very beneficial tool for those of us who cook :)

also, when I top my pancakes (Or waffles, YUM!) I use light whipped topping, or polaners all fruit plus fiber. Can you believe they make a jam with fiber in it!?! Polaner also has a high fiber sugar free jelly that has only 10 calories per tablespoon! The non sugar free only has 35 calories per tablespoon, I prefer the taste of a little real sugar.

If your husband likes Waffles, Kellogg's makes a great chocolate chip waffle high in fiber, it's Eggo Fiber plus chocolate chip waffles, Target has them here... Walmart doesn't, but you could look them up online and find where they are available in your area. those are the ones that I top with light whip topping, and they make a great treat, or dessert, or with eggs etc. a good addition to a healthy breakfast, high in fiber :)

Good luck on your quest for health!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not sure of the recipe you have, but there are lots of good pancake mixes or premixes that are healthy out there, I prefer high fiber foods so I use the ones by Fiber One and other brands which try to get you a lot of fiber per serving. I am new to MFP, so I haven't tried the recipe builder yet, but it sounds like a very beneficial tool for those of us who cook :)

It's very useful. If you cook a lot then you will absolutely love it.

My pancake recipe is 'full fat' the same pancakes my mom made when we were little - I don't buy anything packaged if I can make them at home. They are closer to 100 calories each, very dense, and my family loves them. I refuse to eat 'diet' food :D
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no such thing as a good pancake for losing weight. So if you want to try and make them healthier by adding fruit go right ahead. But definitely don't bother trying to make less tasteful "healthy" pancakes by adding too much wheat germ or whatnot. They're still bad for weight loss anyway, so you might as well just enjoy the type that tastes good.

Just accept that pancakes are always going to be a cheat meal, and enjoy them the way you like them.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    These pancakes are my life. I'd eat them 24/7 if I could

Oatmeal pancakes

6 egg whites
    1 cup cottage cheese lite or normal
    1 cup oatmeal
    2 tsp sugar or stevia
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Put all in blender and process until smooth. The longer you blend the better they are. Makes about 8 pancakes, using 1/4 cup of batter per pancake.