HELP! Counting calories with Casseroles, etc

Options
Hello...I'm new here and am wondering how exactly to count calories with a homeade meal...with lots of ingredients? I hate to count 'every' ingredient in a casserole as that seems a pain...I had my second baby 9 months ago and i want something i will stick too, that won't take 15 minutes to figure out the calories in my meal for dinner. Any suggesstions? I am aiming to lose around 30lbs. Thanks! :)

Replies

• Squishybooty
    Squishybooty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder. I use it all the time, it's great! It takes a few minutes but it's worth it.
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    Go into food section click on my recipes, then new recipe, and add each ingredient one at a time if your making it for a family meal put in how many servings your making and it will tell you what the calories are for one serving, I did chicken casserole, put all the ingredients in then added the colmans recipe mix (the Mixes) are ib the data-base ..... simple enjoy the journey I know Iam.:drinker:

p.s you can then save it to memory and use it time and time again.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hello...I'm new here and am wondering how exactly to count calories with a homeade meal...with lots of ingredients? I hate to count 'every' ingredient in a casserole as that seems a pain...I had my second baby 9 months ago and i want something i will stick too, that won't take 15 minutes to figure out the calories in my meal for dinner. Any suggesstions? I am aiming to lose around 30lbs. Thanks! :)

Just like Squishybooty suggested, if you are going to track everything on MFP.. then you would need to build your recipe(s) in the MFP recipe builder...

You are going to have to count all ingredients of your intake no matter what so if you are really committed to weight loss, then you will become committed to recording the information... the recipe builder is actually easy to use and you can easily get the calculations needed based on the number of servings you enter.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder and then weigh the whole casserole, soup, etc. I then set the servings to what would give me my standard calorie count for that meal. Example if total recipe is 1200 caloris and I want a 300 cal meal, then I set it to 4 servings and I weigh everything.
  • JGodair86
    JGodair86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! That helps! :)
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    And you don't put in every ingredient, like spices, water, etc., that don't have calories or are negligible. Might want to list salt if you're tracking your sodium.