Ice hockey

Options
Does anybody have any good fitness programs for ice hockey? Not only do I play, but I ref. So I'm looking for something that will assist in building strength and power but also help with endurance. There's so much information on the internet but most of it is pay so it's tough.

Replies

• kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My husband plays hockey. It's a killer full body workout. I am not sure what exact program but I would say running and HIIT for endurance and speed and lift weights for strength.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Some sort of HIIT is probably the answer, but there's no replacement for skating.
  • boogs82
    boogs82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have clarified that I'm looking for off-ice workouts to complement hockey. I've been playing since I was a kid and it's definitely a great workout in its own right. I'm just looking for workouts to keep me game ready and ready to go the distances required when I'm officiating when I don't get a break. HIIT is definitely something I'm looking into as well.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Gotta skate.

Refereeing for hockey and basketball are intense forms of exercise with the respective skating and running.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    off ice?
    running, rollerblading, skiing, skateboarding.. anything that is lower body intensive for a long period of time nonstop.