Just bought a gym membership... Now what?!

Options
I've been telling myself that once I got a gym membership, I would eat healthy and the pounds would drop off... This has not happened!

Could anyone please tell me in terms of frequency and length what I should do? I started off going for about 30 mins twice a week, now I'm in my 3rd week and I'm doing about 1.5 hours 2/3 times a week burning only 350 calories per time (this is me doing as much as I can I.E sweat dripping down my face, legs giving way on the treadmill etc!) I am 196lbs and 6foot1 hoping to get down to 165.

Do I need to go more times per week or go for a longer period once there or use different machines etc?

Today for instance, I burned 100 calories on the stationary bike, 100 on the treadmill, 100 on the rowing machine and 50 on the elliptical. As you can see I am totally lost and frustrated to not see change :(. As of today I will start logging all of my foods on here to see if that helps but I think I'm not exercising enough :( what do you all think?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Consult a trainer, but IMHO, some sort of weight training needs to be implemented as well.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    How are your eating habits? Stick with your regiment and you will see results
  • embercakez
    Options
    I suggest you focus a little more on your diet and start lifting some weights. Cardio is good, but will only do so much.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. Logging will be great to see where your pitfalls are. It may be something you have been thinking is healthy.

Oh and like Ember said...add some strength training too. :drinker:
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    check out Bodybuilding.com. Always go with a plan. Do not go to the gym and just decide then and there hey ill do arms or do some cardio
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Having some sort of plan/program will probably be more helpful than just going in there and 'winging' it. I'm currently doing a strength training program called New Rules of Lifting for Woman (book). You workout 3 days a week lifting. Its typically takes me about 30-40 minutes to lift and then I'll do some sort of cardio (interval) afterwards for about 15 minutes. So I'm in and out of the gym in an hour at most and my workout is extremely efficient. In that hour I'm usually burning around 400-500 calories, and then of course my body is continuing to burn calories afterwards due to the lifting I'm doing.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, just make sure you are in a caloric deficit. I mean, strength training is great, cardiovascular fitness is great, but neither is necessary to lose weight.
  • knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    Options
    I am loving the wieght training classes. power pump, boot camp, ex fit, etc. If your gym offers those-give it a try! Also, most gyms offer instruction on the weights for new members. or do one session with a personal trainer to learn. if you get into building some muscle, work in cardio after, you should see some results.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Having some sort of plan/program will probably be more helpful than just going in there and 'winging' it. I'm currently doing a strength training program called New Rules of Lifting for Woman (book). You workout 3 days a week lifting. Its typically takes me about 30-40 minutes to lift and then I'll do some sort of cardio (interval) afterwards for about 15 minutes. So I'm in and out of the gym in an hour at most and my workout is extremely efficient. In that hour I'm usually burning around 400-500 calories, and then of course my body is continuing to burn calories afterwards due to the lifting I'm doing.

Would you recommend that book for beginners?
  • scarletgenesis
    Options

Would you recommend that book for beginners?

YES! It's a fantastic book. I'm re-reading it now.
  • LilPinkNinja
    Options
    Back before my membership expired (trying to save money now), I had great results going each day during my lunch break at work. The consistency was key, and it was the same time each day. I only worked out for 25-30 minutes because I had to factor in drive time for my lunch hour, but that was five days a week and I would rotate every other day - M/W/F cardio, T/Th strength. You'd be surprised how well I did with consistency, even though it wasn't much time spent.