Reached goal weight-- Changed my goal weight.

Options
When I first started dieting and improving my fitness I set my goal weight at 130.

This morning I weighed in at 130.7 but I decided to change my goal weight to 125.

I'm female, 5'7", 27 years old. I started out at around 175 I believe, although I didn't weigh myself until a few weeks after starting, so 171.5 is the weight I use. I honestly think I was up even higher than that at one point.

Part of the reason I chose 130 is because people would ask me how thin I wanted to be. For some reason if I answered in the 120s I got raised eyebrows and disapproval and comments about getting "too skinny". 130 seemed to be a palatable number for everyone.

What is the deal with goal weight? Is it just personal preference? If I am happy and comfortable maintaining and technically at a healthy weight and body fat percentage, is there any reason to have a higher or lower goal weight? Can you really be "too thin" even if you are still in the low end of a normal weight range?

I know how I feel and what I want, but public opinion seems to differ on this so I thought I would check in here.

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would check your body fat percentage and ensure that the goal is realistic. BF% is the best guide for setting goals. Calipers are cheap and easy to use.
  • scarletgenesis
    Options
    I've got a 'goal' weight but it's just arbitrary. Somewhat simliar to your reasoning, 130 sounds 'acceptable'. But when I get closer (I have a long way to go), I may determine my body is best at a higher or slightly lower weight. It's been so long since I was that weight that I'm not certain what is ideal for me. I'm interested in being strong, muscular, and healthy, and like how I look. The number becomes unimportant at that point for me.