Post Breakfast Hunger

Options

Replies

• sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    try some different breakfast combinations to see if you can find one that fills you up. as everyone has said protein is a big key for this. i get breakfast around 9 a.m. (i have kids they of course have to get served first so i eat a bit late) and the days i have just some cheerios i am starving by lunch and we usually end up with a slightly early lunch. but on the days hubby is home and makes eggs and toast or i make some oatmeal and get a more filling breakfast i have no problem holding out till lunch.
  • margrobins
    margrobins Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've found it helped when i switched to plain Greek yogurt. Then I add my own berries and either honey or sugar (I decide how much). Or I'll throw it in a blender and make a smoothie with some milk. This keeps me fuller than the regular sweetened yogurts.

HTH

I think this will be one of my changes! Thank you :0)
  • margrobins
    Options
    Well, it's kinda a good thing that you are hungry in terms of your metabolism going. If you are that hungry, add another small meal. What about something with whole wheat and protein and healthy fats? Like a whole wheat bagel with some peanut butter....or oatmeal and an egg.

It is nice in a way to see the metabolism going hard and strong. For years I lived off of coffee and had no appetite (only ate every couple of days). It's good to see that I've come a long way since then. It took a lot of work to build up to being able to eat every day and I feel much better for it. Just don't like the starving feeling now LOL! I'm thinking eggs are going to have to be incorporated somewhere despite the fact that they just don't agree with me!
    Thanks for your input :0)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand how I am ravishingly hungry now after breakfast, yet when I ate NO breakfast at all I was fine. The body is a mysterious creature. Guess it's time to play the 'experiment' game and find what works for me *sigh*

Supposedly eating breakfast kick-starts your metabolism and gets the system running. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's a theory.
  • margrobins
    Options
    try some different breakfast combinations to see if you can find one that fills you up. as everyone has said protein is a big key for this. i get breakfast around 9 a.m. (i have kids they of course have to get served first so i eat a bit late) and the days i have just some cheerios i am starving by lunch and we usually end up with a slightly early lunch. but on the days hubby is home and makes eggs and toast or i make some oatmeal and get a more filling breakfast i have no problem holding out till lunch.

Yep, I'm thinking I'm left with no choice but to experiment with my diet, despite how much I hate the idea of tinkering with it!
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion would be to try a different grain. You might have a very minor carb sensitivity to grass plants. Some suggestions would be quinoa, millet, buckwheat.
  • margrobins
    Options
    Another suggestion would be to try a different grain. You might have a very minor carb sensitivity to grass plants. Some suggestions would be quinoa, millet, buckwheat.

I've seen a lot of people eating quinoa. It's something on my 'to try' list - thanks for reminding me :0)
  • dreaminaway
    Options
    I have the same issue. If I don't have breakfast, I don't feel hungry until noon or later. If I have breakfast, I'm very hungry a couple of hours later and wind up eating whatever is around. Working part time, I do fine with at work when I don't have time to stop and eat until lunch. But when I am home all day... forget it. My stomach grumbles until I give in. It hasn't seemed to matter what I eat, though I do have a yogurt- may have to try the other kinds listed here.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    So don't eat breakfast. So long as you get your cals and macros throughout the rest of the day it doesn't matter when you eat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If I eat breakfast too early, then I get too hungry before lunch. I usually eat breakfast now when I get to work and then I am good until lunch. Do what works for you!
  • ericalyn73
    Options
    Go back to eating when you're hungry. Why force yourself to eat a meal when you aren't even hungry for it? IMHO, the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" belief is a myth. Everyone is different. You need to do what works for YOU.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what time of day you eat your first meal? People keep debating this like it's radical to delay the first meal of the day.

Do what feels best to you. I don't think there are any breakfast police out there.

I used to complain that eating too soon in the day made me hungry all day so would delay eating until I couldn't stand it anymore (between 11 AM and 1 PM). Eventually, I faced the truth that I would overeat no matter what time I had my first meal.

Truth is, I'm hungry soon after getting up and now have my first meal of the day about 8:00 AM. What works for me is to focus on calories and not eating between meals, not on delaying the first meal of the day (which is still called "breakfast" as in "breaking the fast").
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand how I am ravishingly hungry now after breakfast, yet when I ate NO breakfast at all I was fine. The body is a mysterious creature. Guess it's time to play the 'experiment' game and find what works for me *sigh*

Common thought is that when you eat breakfast, you are "kickstarting" your metabolism for the day. Thus, it burns off your breakfast faster and you are hungry again.

If you look at my journal, you will notice breakfast and 2nd breakfast listed as meals. This is an homage to hobbit meals, but is also because freaking require a second breakfast. I usually eat the first after my workout, before I head to work. And the second breakfast about an hour or so after getting to work (depending on the hunger level that day: may be right after I get to work, may be two hours later)
  • hellsbell
    hellsbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you look at my journal, you will notice breakfast and 2nd breakfast listed as meals. This is an homage to hobbit meals,

what about elevensies?
  • thektturner
    Options
    Looking back, I actually ate 3 times before lunch today. Protein shake right after workout at 6:30am. Toast with peanut butter and a glass of milk at about 8:30 and then a yogurt about 10-10:30 am.
  • thektturner
    Options
    If you look at my journal, you will notice breakfast and 2nd breakfast listed as meals. This is an homage to hobbit meals,

what about elevensies?

Look at my diary. It's in there. I did change the order, though, and make that my late night snack (if applicable).
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat breakfast, I am hungrier all day long, so I try to avoid it. As long as you hit your calorie and macro goals, meal timing and frequency are irrelevant. Do what works for you!
  • FlakaJP
    Options
    If you don't want your metabolism to slow down, you need to eat something within an hour of waking up, if you can. Protein always stays with you longer (try Canadian bacon...very lean and low cals) and if you like eating yogurt, change it to Greek yogurt that has more protein in it. If you try to eat several times a day, this will keep your metabolism working and you should not be hungry if you're eating the better foods for you. Good luck!
  • margrobins
    Options
    Go back to eating when you're hungry. Why force yourself to eat a meal when you aren't even hungry for it? IMHO, the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" belief is a myth. Everyone is different. You need to do what works for YOU.

THIS ^^ has been my line of thinking for the last year. I ate when I was hungry, but still stayed within my limits and it seemed to go well. It seems as soon as I jumped on the 'breakfast' bandwagon my appetite went turbocharged. I have to fight with myself to stay within my limits now. Guess that's why they say 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' lol. But, I can't complain until I try.
    I'll do some tinkering around, but if I can't get it straightened out by adding more protein then I think I may just change back to the way I was doing it before! Thanks :0)