1200 Calories? Really?

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Listen to your nutritionist. MFP is a calculator that doesn't know anything about you.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea how on earth anyone sticks to 1200 calories a day. I would end up eating a body part I would be that hungry. Completely mental.

I found that I adjusted to it pretty quickly. I'm a little concerned that I will have trouble upping my calories if and when I reach my goal weight because I'm so used to it now. Don't want to become anorexic.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    #1. read the forum rules.

#2. search forum for 1200 calorie posts.. and eating exercise calories back.

#3. if you find nothing, THEN post.

Im sure you may find SOMETHING about it... maybe one or two posts..

I just read the forum rules. You might want to re-read them yourself, particularly Rule 9:
    We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on.

OP: When I started I was at about the same BMI that you are. I set my goal to lose two pounds a week and got a similarly low calorie recommendation. It worked for a few weeks, but I felt hungry and deprived all the time. I knew from past experience that this was not going to work for me long-term, so I changed to a pound a week loss and increased my calorie goal to around 1700 calories a day. I am losing a bit more than a pound a week and never feel deprived. I can see myself eating at this level long-term, which is key to keeping the weight off after I lose it. Try to focus on keeping the weight off rather than taking it off fast.

There are a lot of people on here who eat 1200 calories a day (though I would bet most of them are shorter than you are) who will tell you that it is working for them and/or easy for them, but the important thing is that you find a calorie level that works for you. Check out some of the posts that other people who responded have recommended; I think you will find ways to lose weight while not feeling like you are hungry all the time. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11" and I stuck to a 1265 daily caloric limit for 3 months. I lost 35lbs in those 3 months, so it obviously worked.
    Yes, it is not for everyone and YES it will take a huge amount of will power at first. But, you will adjust. And I never felt as if I was about to turn into a zombie and chew a limb off...
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

OP: When I started I was at about the same BMI that you are. I set my goal to lose two pounds a week and got a similarly low calorie recommendation. It worked for a few weeks, but I felt hungry and deprived all the time. I knew from past experience that this was not going to work for me long-term, so I changed to a pound a week loss and increased my calorie goal to around 1700 calories a day. I am losing a bit more than a pound a week and never feel deprived. I can see myself eating at this level long-term, which is key to keeping the weight off after I lose it. Try to focus on keeping the weight off rather than taking it off fast.

There are a lot of people on here who eat 1200 calories a day (though I would bet most of them are shorter than you are) who will tell you that it is working for them and/or easy for them, but the important thing is that you find a calorie level that works for you. Check out some of the posts that other people who responded have recommended; I think you will find ways to lose weight while not feeling like you are hungry all the time. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

agree, if 1200 calories wasn't relatively easy for me, i wouldn't do it either.
  • reenielovesthebeach
    Options
    We have to remember that we eat to live, not live to eat...My mindset was always to eat until I was always stuffed and so miserable that all I could just sit or lay around. That's a problem. Eating 1200 calories a day allows me plenty of everything I NEED to lose weight and be healthy while doing it. You cannot go to a fast food place and eat all of that stuff constantly and expect weight loss. It's a mindset. You have to really work at this. Anything in life worth having is worth working for and that applies with the body too. If you want a good, healthy functioning body then you have to work for it. We are all human and will have not so healthy moments. All I can think of is that I don't want my husband, kids or a caregiver doing everything for me one day because I didn't at least try to improve my chances of being healthy by eating better and exercising. My blood pressure was high and I took medicine for it prior to September. I have lost enough weight so far that I'm off the medication and I'm thrilled about that! I am a major foodaholic and if I can do this- anyone can...I promise!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 1200 a day is too low for most people. I'm 5'4" and about 130lbs and 1200 is too low for me. Some people are fine with it, but if you're feeling restricted or hungry all the time, you're better off upping your intake. You'll lose weight slower, but you'll be more likely to stick with it and keep the weight off.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Go to scooby's calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and use those numbers. Enter in how much you regularly exercise... I'm at 2000 calories/day and that includes 3-5 days/week of moderate exercise but if there is one day I don't exercise, I still get my 2000 cals... With this you dn't eat back your cals, just eat the same amt every day.
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If someone asks for advice and you have nothing to offer, why reply?
  • TarahE1
    TarahE1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A 1200 calorie meal plan is not easy, but it can be done. I found that juicing fresh fruits and vegetables helps to make you feel fuller longer, and the fresh juice is much lower in calories than any juice from the store. A 16oz glass is about 60 calories, and it tastes better than store bought juice.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Good point.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I want to say this...you're only 10 days in. Going from whatever you did, to a 1200 calorie diet seems ridiculous. But, you're used to over-sized portions, probably. You're used to eating until you're stuffed, probably. You're not used to counting, and measuring, and only eating a little at a time. It takes some adjustment. Actually, it takes a lot of adjustment.

One question I have is I am not sure why you are not just doing what your nutritionist told you to do?
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 cals on weekdays and up it on the weekends, It works great for me, I am not hungry and if I work out alot I eat back the cals sometimes. I don't know why everyone bashes the 1200 cals.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Is this supposed to be ironic?
  • Trophyyf
    Trophyyf Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is crazy and even crazier if you are going to exercise. You will not be able to maintain weight loss at that calorie count. At your weight you most likely burn about 2000 2500 calories just doing nothing. If you are set at having a low intake at least try 1500 but you will find the more you fuel your body with good food choices and the more you exercise 1500 might not cut it either.
    I would read the links others provided. Good luck!!
  • SeeShelle3
    SeeShelle3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started MFP about a month ago. I'm 5"1', and starting weight was 178. I wanted to lose 2 lbs. a week. I workout 6 times a week. It put my at 1200 calories. Before starting MFP I was a meal skipper so hitting the 1200 was difficult if I ate healthy but after couple days I began hitting the 1200 calories. After continuing to workout and eat better and hitting at least 1200 with exercise (sometimes I eat back my calories earned and sometimes I don't), I wasn't losing anything... in fact I was gaining. Last week I decided to up my calories to 1300 and eat back at least half my calories earned. On the day I don't exercise, I eat 1300 cals. I've been losing 1.5-2 lbs. a week. I've been watching my fat intake more than anything else and I cut out my flavored creamer and went to fat-free.

I would not have believed it either - but when I upped my calories, I started losing. I wouldn't up them if I wasn't working out - but I think you have to take that into consideration when you counting calories. I would tweak your diet/exercise slightly and stay with it for a week and see what happens. Everyone's body is made up differently so I think you have to find what works best for you and yours.

Good luck.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Listen to your nutritionist. MFP is a calculator that doesn't know anything about you.

This^

I was assigned 1200 calories because I entered sedentary and then entered a goal of 2 pound loss per week. At the time I was 226 pounds and I am knowledgeable enough about my own body to know that 1200 calories is NOT enough. So, I put in 1 pound loss per week. I still changed my own calories to what I want. I started at 1650 at 226, went to 1600 at 220, and then 1550 at 210.. I changed my macros too, which are more important for me than calories. Contrary to what someone else said, as our bodies get smaller we need to consume fewer calories, not more; UNLESS we get increasingly more active as we lose weight.

For 11 weeks, I have averaged a 2 pound weight loss. I am down to losing 0.5 to 1.5 pounds per week now and that is still a really quick weight loss. The way I eat is satisfying and sustainable. Being hungry and battling with food to minimize calories is NOT sustainable imo.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I started MFP about a month ago. I'm 5"1', and starting weight was 178. I wanted to lose 2 lbs. a week. I workout 6 times a week. It put my at 1200 calories. Before starting MFP I was a meal skipper so hitting the 1200 was difficult if I ate healthy but after couple days I began hitting the 1200 calories. After continuing to workout and eat better and hitting at least 1200 with exercise (sometimes I eat back my calories earned and sometimes I don't), I wasn't losing anything... in fact I was gaining. Last week I decided to up my calories to 1300 and eat back at least half my calories earned. On the day I don't exercise, I eat 1300 cals. I've been losing 1.5-2 lbs. a week. I've been watching my fat intake more than anything else and I cut out my flavored creamer and went to fat-free.

I would not have believed it either - but when I upped my calories, I started losing. I wouldn't up them if I wasn't working out - but I think you have to take that into consideration when you counting calories. I would tweak your diet/exercise slightly and stay with it for a week and see what happens. Everyone's body is made up differently so I think you have to find what works best for you and yours.

Good luck.

Good advice in regards to increasing calorie intake.

BUT you don't have to cut the fat. In fact, increasing healthy fat will improve your health, make you feel fuller and more satisfied, and, for me, my high fat diet has resolved a very long list of serious health problems. If you are curious as to how much fat I eat (while experiencing a 2 pound weight loss average for 11 weeks) have a look at my diary. Of course, my success isn't just about the fat, but also about what I don't eat.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I second the "in place of a roadmap" thread. I am 5'3", 233, and eat 1700, more if I work out particularly hard that day. I am losing just fine. There is no reason that you have to starve to lose weight.
  • Morgantam
    Options
    A life-style change has to realistic and suit you in the long run, so start slow and keep in mind changes do not happen overnight. Start with the calories plan set for "maintain current weight" for a short while, see if you can stick with that little amount of food/calories. If so, slowly ease your body into the calories plan for "lose half pound per week", etc. Set (and commit to!) realistic goals that you can live with is more important than losing 2 lbs per week right off the gate. Good luck and keep it up!