wants strength training....no equipment. HELP

Options
So, basically, i'm looking for tips on how i can incorperate strength training into my workout when i have no equipment, weights, etc and no money with which to buy them

i currently do a lot of cardio, and am looking to mix up my workouts a bit with some strength. The only thing I have is a resistance band.

And please, don't bother telling me that buying weights or joining a gym isn't expensive. I am paying my own way through university and have £3 to live on for the rest of the month, despite having a job as well as studying.

Replies

• amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You can get Jillian Michael circuit training videos for free on YouTube. As far as weights, I know some people improvise and use full water bottles. Or, you could look into spending a small amount on a pair of 5lb weights for less than $10.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    there a lot of good workout programs that use body weight, they aren't really strength training but they are circuit training. With no weights to use for resistance you can't really do real strength training but like I said you can do circuit training that will help you be stronger.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Look into resistance bands. Fairly cheap and you can change the resistance as needed to suit your workout.
    Saves a lot of space too.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight! It's a great way to start and if you work at it you can get advanced workouts with just yourself and stuff lying around (like beer kegs, cars, truck tires, you know, household stuff.)

There's a good beginner workout here - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ - they have an advanced one too, and a playground workout for when you can get outside - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/04/12/playground-workout/. You can go to http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html and just pick different body parts and look under the "bodyweight" section for whatever you want to work out. If you don't like those, just google "bodyweight workout" or "playground workout" (I like these, but I have kids so I'm at the playground all the time anyway) and there are tons to choose from.

I also used "Never Gymless" by Ross Enamait, which is an *kitten*-kicker, and I've seen other people recommend "You Are Your Own Gym" although I haven't used that one myself.

Even if you *do* have a gym membership, it's always good to have a solid bodyweight routine set up just in case it snows, or you're traveling, or there's a zombie apocalypse or something. Good luck!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You can start by doing bodyweight exercises. Once you have perfect form mastered you can add resistance without having to buy equipment. You're a student so you must have a backpack you can fill with books, right? Get creative and use stuff around the house.

There are lots of bodyweight workouts online. Google "bodyweight workout."

The basic moves are squats, lunges (forward, reverse and side lunges), deadlifts, push-ups, shoulder presses, and rows.

Congratulations on making the wise choice of strength training.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Also http://www.bodyrock.tv and youtube have a lot of free videos which will show you various exercises.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Pushups: Start on your knees or even leaning against a wall then work to doing a regular one.

Bodyweight Squats

Dips, you can use two chairs or any other set up

Jumping Squats (go down into a squat then jump as high as you can, land on your feet and repeat. This will get your legs burning and your heart pumping.)

If you can afford to buy a single weight, buy a kettlebell and get a book from the library on how to use it. It's the single most versatile weight out there.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the great tips guys :)
  • MissJenova
    Options
    ^ These are all good responses ^

Pushups
    Situps
    Pullups
    Dips
    SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS
    Burpees

Use canned foods, water bottles, frozen meat ANYTHING! :happy:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You don't need weights. There are lots of ways to do the same thing. Lots of people have provided links and ideas, you can also use stuff outside, like rocks, tires, climbing fences or whatever. I mean, there are so many ways to do it. There's a book, I think it's called the prison workout, where I guy that was in prison for a while, whith no gym, and he did his workouts in his small cell with no equipment at all. He was pretty buff too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight! It's a great way to start and if you work at it you can get advanced workouts with just yourself and stuff lying around (like beer kegs, cars, truck tires, you know, household stuff.)

There's a good beginner workout here - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ - they have an advanced one too, and a playground workout for when you can get outside - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/04/12/playground-workout/. You can go to http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html and just pick different body parts and look under the "bodyweight" section for whatever you want to work out. If you don't like those, just google "bodyweight workout" or "playground workout" (I like these, but I have kids so I'm at the playground all the time anyway) and there are tons to choose from.

I also used "Never Gymless" by Ross Enamait, which is an *kitten*-kicker, and I've seen other people recommend "You Are Your Own Gym" although I haven't used that one myself.

Even if you *do* have a gym membership, it's always good to have a solid bodyweight routine set up just in case it snows, or you're traveling, or there's a zombie apocalypse or something. Good luck!

^^ THIS

You don't need ANY equipment to get started, just a comfortable place on the floor. If you have a plush carpet, that works. I also have folded up quilts to lay down to make it softer.

You are your own gym and there's no reason to spend a DIME to build up your strength when you are first getting started. It will take you a very long time to build up to where you need weights to advance.
  • amycb03
    amycb03 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^ list is money. I pay for a personal trainer and a membership at a boxing club....a combination of these workouts on this list is what we do all the time.

Good luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Does your school not have a gym? If not, look at other local schools and try to get them to have a shared service for the student community.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    push ups , planks , up and down stairs , squats galore , dips, get some milk jugs and fill with water and do farmer walks which strengthens your core . get a heavy anything you can hold in your hand and do presses with it ..
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Does your school not have a gym? If not, look at other local schools and try to get them to have a shared service for the student community.

No it doesn't, and it's not in partnership with any other universities to let us use one.

I am at one of the dis-owned Oxford colleges, we barely get access to the Bodlean library let alone a gym...
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hey Buddy! You can strength train with the resistance bands, they are actually really good because you work your muscle both ways! I also suggest finding things around the house that have some weight to them, even throw them on the scale to see how heavy, and preferably easy to hold so you can incorporate them into a routine. When low on cash you just gotta be a bit move creative :) If it is heavy for you and doing a few reps holding it fatigues your muscles, you are on the right track :)