sugar from fruit...makes my weight go up??

Options
when ever i trade my "snacks" for fruit, it seems my weight goes up! why? i drink plenty of water daily (up to 14 cups), i keep my sodium under control (under 2500mg daily), and i know i dont get anywhere near 3500 cals a day to = gain.

can someone add some info on here for me? should i cut out my fruit intake?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It's possible that it's not the sugar, per se, that's causing it. Maybe you have something like fructose malabsorbtion that's causing your body to not process the fructose in the fruit properly so you end up a bit bloated from it.

I personally have the same experience with fruit. I can lose weight just fine having even a regular sugary snack each day, but as soon as I add fruit back in to my day to day, my stomach gets a bit puffy and I gain some weight or don't lose that week.

Maybe start tracking which fruits cause it more than others. Like, for me my favorites like apricots, peaches, and blackberries will be the worst offenders. Where stuff like cantaloupe or a few strawberries I can have every now and again with no ill effects.
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    the only fruits i usually have are apples or bananas. i like to chose fruits instead of junk on my breaks...but like you stated, im almost beter off, with my weight, to have a cookie instead! its frustrating!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    have nuts instead :-)
  • dlshuey
    dlshuey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, most of our fruit is genetically engineered to be sweeter than it would have been thousands of years ago. Also, even though fruit is natural sugar, it still makes your insulin spike, which makes you gain weight.

Another person posted about fructose malabsorption, which can also be happening.

If the fruit is a substitute for some type of sugary, processed snack, then the fruit is certainly better, since it also has fiber and vitamins. However, because fruit does contain sugar/carbs, it still makes you gain weight.

If you really want to lose weight, decrease or cut out fruit for a while and eat veggies and good fats, instead (like tree nuts, for example). If you can't handle cutting out fruit, eat fruits that have lots of fiber, like berries, and avoid dried fruit (since it's easy to eat way to much).

Hope that helps.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Fructose does not cause fat storage. There is NO food, in and of itself, that can cause fat storage when in a caloric deficit.

/end thread
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Fructose does not cause fat storage. There is NO food, in and of itself, that can cause fat storage when in a caloric deficit.

/end thread

Nobody said it did. :)

What's being said is that perhaps the original posters body doesn't process fruit very well and so it's causing bloating and perhaps other issues with the digestion. Which, even though it isn't fat storage, can cause a gain or lack of lost weight on the scale due to the effects on the body.
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    thanks for your comments everyone..... starting monday i think im going to switch to veggies for snacks instead of fruit and see if it helps. fruit is always my choice for snack, because of the "sweet" its much better than a Snickers :)
  • sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I was doing WW they gave you unlimited fruits and I would not lose if I ate fruits high in sugar like bananas and grapes. I switched to berries and apples and it seemed to help kickstart my loss. I think sugar is sugar and if you are carbohydrate sensitive, like I am it makes a difference. I increased my protein and decreased my carbs and it helped.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sugar will not by itself make you gain real weight. It is all about the calories.

There was a guy that went on a twinkie diet just to make a point. He lost like 20 pounds by eating 1500 kcal worth of twinkies a day :p
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Shut up!!!
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

LOL I guess he did take a multivitamin and a protein shake. And it was 28 pounds..and it was 1800 kcal.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Sugar will not by itself make you gain real weight. It is all about the calories.

There was a guy that went on a twinkie diet just to make a point. He lost like 20 pounds by eating 1500 kcal worth of twinkies a day :p

I just have to say that is gross. :sick: