Post Breakfast Hunger

Options
13»

Replies

• margrobins
    margrobins Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what time of day you eat your first meal? People keep debating this like it's radical to delay the first meal of the day.

Do what feels best to you. I don't think there are any breakfast police out there.

I used to complain that eating too soon in the day made me hungry all day so would delay eating until I couldn't stand it anymore (between 11 AM and 1 PM). Eventually, I faced the truth that I would overeat no matter what time I had my first meal.

Truth is, I'm hungry soon after getting up and now have my first meal of the day about 8:00 AM. What works for me is to focus on calories and not eating between meals, not on delaying the first meal of the day (which is still called "breakfast" as in "breaking the fast").

If I eat my first meal anytime before 11ish AM, I'm starving within an hour, whereas if I just wait until lunch I'm good to go. I think it's all just a matter of me experimenting and seeing what works/doesn't. I'm definitely going to try adding more protein and try different eating times and see how that goes.
    Thanks for your reply! :0)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    A guess as to why you are hungry is you simply aren't eating enough. Sounds like breakfast is less than 300 calories and not terribly protein-rich.

I'm 6'3 and weigh about 295 at the moment. I eat four eggs (two whole, two whites) salsa and a 100 calorie Wholly Guacamole at about 8am and am not hungry again until at least 12:30pm.
  • margrobins
    Options

I actually just read this this morning as my stomach was growling! It's a really great article and explains a lot. Thanks for that!
  • margrobins
    Options
    A guess as to why you are hungry is you simply aren't eating enough. Sounds like breakfast is less than 300 calories and not terribly protein-rich.

I'm 6'3 and weigh about 295 at the moment. I eat four eggs (two whole, two whites) salsa and a 100 calorie Wholly Guacamole at about 8am and am not hungry again until at least 12:30pm.

My breakfast is usually between 450-500 cals once my morning coffee is factored in and depending on what fruit I have on the side. Protein is the route I'm going to take as I simply can't physically eat anymore than I already do - I just need to find more satisfying 'filling' foods. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'm back to the drawing board lol.. Thanks! :0)
  • margrobins
    Options
    It's odd to think though, if I eat the EXACT same meal at any other point in the day, I'd be full and satisfied. What I ate for breakfast today is the same as I had yesterday for lunch, yet was full until dinner.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options

There are 4 teaspoons of sugar in 1 gram of yogurt! It's the sugar that's making you hungry so soon after eating.

What???^^^ this not right BTW^^^^
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I know I'll probably get blasted for this - but I'm thinking I need to cut breakfast out and start eating later in the day.

I won't be blasting you. I have the same problem. If I wake up and eat breakfast, I end up starving before lunch which leads to munching. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on breakfast, but from what I've read, there is no scientific evidence that you need to eat breakfast. By skipping breakfast, I'm able to have a more satisfying lunch and dinner. I never feel hungry before lunch when I don't eat breakfast. My suggestion is to do whatever works for you. If it means skipping breakfast, do it. If you want to eat breakfast, go ahead.
  • margrobins
    Options
    I know I'll probably get blasted for this - but I'm thinking I need to cut breakfast out and start eating later in the day.

I won't be blasting you. I have the same problem. If I wake up and eat breakfast, I end up starving before lunch which leads to munching. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on breakfast, but from what I've read, there is no scientific evidence that you need to eat breakfast. By skipping breakfast, I'm able to have a more satisfying lunch and dinner. I never feel hungry before lunch when I don't eat breakfast. My suggestion is to do whatever works for you. If it means skipping breakfast, do it. If you want to eat breakfast, go ahead.

I figured at least one person would blast me here, I've already had one person elsewhere go all "the world will fall apart if you skip breakfast" on me lol. I figure I'll try a few of the suggestions, but if all else fails, I'm headed back to what worked for me for a year! :0)
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've made a thread about this before. Lol.

Eat your breakfast whenever you want, its fine. The worries about "starvation mode" and "kickstarting your metabolism" are highly perpetuated myths, & quite frankly they're annoying to hear.

When you're hungry, EAT. I wake up at around 7, workout at 9, and eat breakfast at 10. The only reason I'm hungry for breakfast is because my dinners are typically small, and my cardio workout makes me hungry. If one day I woke up on a full stomach and it was like a break day from working out, I would wait until I was actually hungry to eat.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Read this. Because I'm lazy and not rewriting what the legend has already wrote.

Hence why my "breakfast" is at 6PM.
  • margrobins
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Read this. Because I'm lazy and not rewriting what the legend has already wrote.

Hence why my "breakfast" is at 6PM.

I'm ahead of you - I read it this morning lol. Thanks, it's a great read :0)
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the exact opposite of that article, I'm fine after breakfast, though I do have a snack around 11, and then eat lunch at 1 or so, but then around 3 or 4, I feel like I haven't eaten all day sometimes. It lead me to nearly murder a coworker for his lunch as detailed in my other thread. But then I'm diabetic and I don't think that article applies to me. (also my doctor and nurses would have my skin if I started skipping breakfast)
  • margrobins
    Options
    I think I'm the exact opposite of that article, I'm fine after breakfast, though I do have a snack around 11, and then eat lunch at 1 or so, but then around 3 or 4, I feel like I haven't eaten all day sometimes. It lead me to nearly murder a coworker for his lunch as detailed in my other thread. But then I'm diabetic and I don't think that article applies to me. (also my doctor and nurses would have my skin if I started skipping breakfast)

Yeah see, I'm great with the afternoon. I eat lunch, have a snack around 3ish, supper around 5/6 and sometimes a light evening snack (piece of fruit, veggies, etc.) It's just the morning that has been brutal on me the last couple of weeks. I was cranky, had a headache, and ready to rip someone's head off this morning about an hour after breakfast.

I seriously need to make some adjustments before someone ends up dead LOL!
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Yeah I noticed someone else posted it.

Some people are fine like yukon. Me? I'm ravenous an hour later. In addition, working in a busy NYC lab with flexible hours... it's much easier for me to just wait till I get home to eat everything instead of lugging food in the subway.