what restaurants do you choose when you want to go out?

Options

Replies

• schparks
    schparks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I honestly choose restaurants based on what I feel like eating and not based on what they offer for "healthy" items on the menu because many times the calorie count alone doesn't tell the whole story (excessive amounts of sodium/sugar immediately comes to mind). If I'm going to spend money for someone else to make me a meal then I'm going to get something I couldn't (or wouldn't) make at home like sushi, pizza or Indian curry.

^ I agree.
  • clairecandoit11
    clairecandoit11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A lot of places have calorie counts for their meals on their websites or sometimes even in the menu (like buffalo wild wings)!! I would say Outback is usually a place I can eat a good meal for under 500 calories and Applebees has some good options too! Also... if you have a Noodles & Company, they have a TON of healthy options that are really yummy!

What do you get at the Outback? And how do you know the counts? I thought they didn't publish their nutrition info. I'm asking in seriousness (not to be snarky). I love the Outback but I tend to avoid the place like the plague because I don't view anything on their menu as a particularly good choice.

They have item nutrition information on their website! They also have an under 500 calories menu! I usually get the Chicken on the Barbie with a side of Veggies! You can get the veggies with no butter and it is way under 500 calories! Also I usually get a salad with no cheese or croutons with their Tangy Tomato dressing :)

They have options to get steaks without butter added to them too for all under 500 calories!

Here is a link
    >http://www.outback.com/menu/nutritionselection.aspx
  • Patti233
    Options
    I have a question... We are supposed to eat fruits and vegetables but I go over my sugar count if I eat fruit.. What does anyone else do? :grumble:
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    www.theskinnylist.com/tagged/meals-at-the-restaurant

I've put on my blog some of my favorite restaurants to eat and the meals they have for 250 calories or less!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a question... We are supposed to eat fruits and vegetables but I go over my sugar count if I eat fruit.. What does anyone else do? :grumble:

Many of us just ignore MFP's ridiculously low sugar standard.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Chipotle. Burritto bowl, hold the rice, extra chicken and guacamole with pinto beans, grilled veggies and salsa.
  • sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes I get Chipotle salads all the time since my family loves to eat the burritos.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    To be honest I don't totally limit everything , I do rearrange some some thing on menu (instead of fries ill go for plain baked potato). I rarely eat out though.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

Many of us just ignore MFP's ridiculously low sugar standard.

I ignore the standard, also. It has not hurt anything yet. My lab work is fabulous, and I am steadily losing.
  • famlyluv
    famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Applebees. I like the health conscious options!
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I eat at any one I want. I don't eat it everyday but I do try to get in some workout everyday,
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I love Panera. Its kinda expensive, but its organic
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I like to choose somewhere with a black bean or veggie burger option—especially when eating out with others. Otherwise, I like to choose sushi or mongolian grill style places for eating out. Seafood is good too—not fried like Long John Silver's, more like an actual sit-down, seafood restaurant.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    most restaurants have websites .. choose what you are going to order before you go in there
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Applebee's and Longhorn Steakhouse both have good options for me as I only like chicken. lol In fact, we are going to Applebee's tonight. I always get the Honey Dijon chicken (with no portebellos).
  • Deeders
    Deeders Posts: 17
    Options
    :smile: I like Applebees, but go online and check restraunts you have locally (especially chain restraunts) and check out the menu and the nutrition on them, then also ask for a to go box and take off whatever is over your portion or whatever and take it home for lunch or freeze it for a later date
  • Deeders
    Deeders Posts: 17
    Options
    you can go into setting and change the sugar limits on your diet
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Wherever I want. Just about any restaurant has something on the menu that fits into my caloric budget. Sometimes, I ignore that section and go over, but I do log it and usually end up being guilted into exercising more when I get home as a result. My goal is to not eat more calories than I burn. I don't mind being calorically neutral once in a while as long as it isn't too often.
  • debbo25
    debbo25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can replace fries with steamed veggies at most places, even if it doesn't say it on the menu. Thai food is vegetarian friendly usually. Just watch the sauces, garlic sauces or light sauces are probably lower in fat then the curries or peanut sauces.
    Chinese food has lots of steamed veggie dishes. Panda express is pretty good too, if you avoid the fried stuff.
    Outback is good with the woodfire grill. Egg dishes are usually low carb, just minus the cheese to have less fat.
    Sushi can be good if you don't get the cream cheese choices.
    Drink unsweetend tea or diet soda or water.
    Stay away from fancy mixed drinks, they have a ton of extra calories and sugar.
    Light beer or liquor with club or tonic water and a lime.

Source: http://www.helpguide.org/life/fast_food_nutrition.htm
    The Big Taco Chains

LESS healthy choices

Crispy shell chicken taco
    Refried beans
    Steak chalupa
    Crunch wraps or gordita-type burritos
    Nachos with refried beans
    Adding sour cream or cheese

HEALTHIER CHOICES

Grilled chicken soft taco
    Black beans
    Shrimp encalada
    Grilled “fresco” style steak burrito
    Veggie and bean burrito
    Limiting sour cream or cheese
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    LESS healthy choices

Crispy shell chicken taco
    Refried beans
    Steak chalupa
    Crunch wraps or gordita-type burritos
    Nachos with refried beans
    Adding sour cream or cheese

HEALTHIER CHOICES

Grilled chicken soft taco
    Black beans
    Shrimp encalada
    Grilled “fresco” style steak burrito
    Veggie and bean burrito
    Limiting sour cream or cheese
    Actually, the hard taco shell has less calories than the soft flour tortilla. I've found that I can eat 3 taco shells (150 calories) and still take in less calories than 2 flour tortillas (160). Some flour tortillas are off the charts. A chicken hard shell taco made with boneless, skinless breast meat is a fantastic, low calorie food that you can eat plenty of whereas the bulk of your calories from a soft taco comes from the flour tortilla itself.

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/old-el-paso/taco-shell/ [/url]
    http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/la-banderita/low-carb-low-fat-soft-taco-shell/